Author Topic: Wipe Longevity Ideas  (Read 2529 times)

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Wipe Longevity Ideas
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
I thought of something just now that may help a bit - let's call it the "Wipe Progression System". I'm not going to type much so that people's ideas can come out and flourish / propel further ideas.

Wipe Progression

When the player base usually begins to die off after a fresh wipe (5-8 weeks max?), further improvements outside of the rank system become available.

These can begin slowly such as bonus +stats from quests (keep in mind quests must be VERY easy to complete at the beginning as the player base is low - aka "kill Trachyte for permanent +1constitution", "kill Frostbyte for +1 permanent damage", "kill Sleet for permanent steelskin", "clear ToT, DKO, and FT for +100hp", "defeat spire, storms, stone bluff, mithas for ams", etc.) Yes these are powerful bonuses, but keep in mind this is when the number of players is dwindling and the people still playing become friendly with each other for the most part (this DOES happen, right?).

These bonuses can be limited by week/month whatever. The first month of low playerbase opens normal +stats, +hitroll, saves, damage (0/4 of each?) and 100hp, the following months can open very strong abilities such as a rogue being able to cast heal and healing cloud, a barbarian with the ability to cast 2x shield spells, cleric opens +slots, warrior autohaste, etc.

This not only increases the ability for players to play on fewer players, but decreases the value (does not nullify) of equipment, allowing players to explore in smaller groups.

6-8 months into the wipe everyone playing will be 2000hp, 5x obliterating, stun/blind area specials, auto steelskin, haste, nobash, be able to heal, etc. Sound stupid? It is, but there are only 5 people playing at this point so who the bapt cares.

sart

Re: Wipe Longevity Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
Wow corey.. I actually like this idea.

However, I think they should be solo quests akin to mage/cleric... because no one will one to bring a neutral thief such as myself with them to do sleet...

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »
Wow corey.. I actually like this idea.

However, I think they should be solo quests akin to mage/cleric... because no one will one to bring a neutral thief such as myself with them to do sleet...

I don't care if they're quests or not, they can give them out as far as I'm concerned.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:19:20 AM »
D & D trivia styles. like old times! Maybe have a once a week tourney players could amass for and wait until an immortal logs to quickly judge the fight and reward the winners a permanent stat point. that would be large incentive for people to more actively participate in those fun events. 5v5 arena styles shop gear winner gets the +str or con or int or w.e
if it was more of a king of the hill style idea even +dam : p i would make sure i was there and on time for that each week!

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
I'm not against the idea for quests such as you are suggesting (more easily accessible quests that are easy to medium challenge difficulty are great for game longevity), but I think the buffs can't be too game changing or this will have a negative affect on returning players. It's hard enough to recover ground after a two month break as it is.

I personally would like to see a game dynamic that does not allow any one player group to completely dominate the game. This is why I would suggest the game changing items (nobashes/dragon orbs) become unlimited but super low % load. Every clan has a chance to load these items. This also encourages pvp.

I would like it to be possible for a clan to play heavily at the start of the wipe, take a break for a month or two, reform and play a bit more heavily and be competitive almost from the beginning. Hence suggestion for mid/decent (fast decay) gear being for sale at the stronghold.