Author Topic: Reincarnate and ability points  (Read 1961 times)

Lloth

• Guardian
  • Fodder
Re: Reincarnate and ability points
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
Instead of reincarnating and burning away everyone's sanity, perhaps leaving that style behind. Reincarnating gives so much, true it takes a long time and commitment. What if instead of reincarnating, you gave a rank point after earning X amount of EXP(or how much they would have gotten since evils are at a distinct disadvantage here). People would still be zoning and doing the normal ranking but passively gain a rank point every 50-100 million exp. The rank max would have to be raised for sure. It's just an option that could maybe be looked at.

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »
Instead of reincarnating and burning away everyone's sanity, perhaps leaving that style behind. Reincarnating gives so much, true it takes a long time and commitment. What if instead of reincarnating, you gave a rank point after earning X amount of EXP(or how much they would have gotten since evils are at a distinct disadvantage here). People would still be zoning and doing the normal ranking but passively gain a rank point every 50-100 million exp. The rank max would have to be raised for sure. It's just an option that could maybe be looked at.

I don't hate it. I still like being able to reincarnate a character I'm attached to to a better race, maybe have a race change mechanic that burns some rank points?

Lloth

• Guardian
  • Fodder
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 08:51:55 PM »
Maybe you are allowed to reincarnate ONCE and then after that initial reincarnation, then you start receiving that 'rank for exp' bonus. I agree, being able to reincarnate into a different race/reroll stats on wipe day characters is a good thing.

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 11:37:13 AM »
Maybe you are allowed to reincarnate ONCE and then after that initial reincarnation, then you start receiving that 'rank for exp' bonus. I agree, being able to reincarnate into a different race/reroll stats on wipe day characters is a good thing.

i dunno.  how would that be for evils?  1 reincarnate and then you are killing vingaard FOREVER.  talk about burnout lol

im pretty happy with how reincarnate is right now.  i think 6 will be too far for me but 3 or 4 should be good enough for just about anyone
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:39:04 AM by el conquistador »

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 01:35:54 PM »

i dunno.  how would that be for evils?  1 reincarnate and then you are killing vingaard FOREVER.  talk about burnout lol

im pretty happy with how reincarnate is right now.  i think 6 will be too far for me but 3 or 4 should be good enough for just about anyone

Maybe explore more? There's a few more high end zones for evil aligned characters than vingaard. Some not even that far away.

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 03:02:10 PM »

Maybe explore more? There's a few more high end zones for evil aligned characters than vingaard. Some not even that far away.

yeah but they are all exactly the same

Lloth

• Guardian
  • Fodder
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »

" What if instead of reincarnating, you gave a rank point after earning X amount of EXP(or how much they would have gotten since evils are at a distinct disadvantage here)"

el conquistador

• Zoner
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »

" What if instead of reincarnating, you gave a rank point after earning X amount of EXP(or how much they would have gotten since evils are at a distinct disadvantage here)"

so all aligns would get the same 'exp' for everything after 1x and that exp would count toward ranks?  i guess that could be pretty good.  id probably like it better than the current luck based rank values  :P

George

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 03:23:23 PM »
i really don't see how i was being mean in any way, there was no offense intended, and i don't see any reason for anyone to take offense at anything i said. i said it's a ridiculous "problem", because i don't think it's a problem, and i said he's got a boner for an item that he described in enough detail that almost anyone who has seen it knows exactly what item he's referring to. i thought it was funny, and i was honestly surprised that someone with as colorful a past with the players of this game as corey was even remotely upset by it.

as for him being unbiased, his entire argument is that the elite eq that he has/wants isn't as meaningful or impactful as we wants it to be... that is a very biased opinion. the people who never see eq of that calibur on a regular enough basis that it impacts their long term rank selection (the majority of active players) will never have that problem.

also, if you're concerned a word is going to get censored by a filter that was presumably written by someone who is concerned about the language used on these forums, circumventing those filters to make sure the word gets through generally isn't a very good idea.

Malthros

• Fodder
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 05:02:05 AM »
Reincarnation is fine.  Someone spends literally hundreds of hours grinding for some extra power instead of playing a dozen other games, let them.

Yes, r6 and a rank 100 medal on a legend is a ton of power.  For the amount of time that takes it better be.

Dafin

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2020, 03:35:04 PM »
Yes, r6 and a rank 100 medal on a legend is a ton of power.  For the amount of time that takes it better be.
Isn't it the reason why no-limit items experiment mentioned by Terk was canceled? Because hardcore players became annoyed that casuals got 80-90% of their power.

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2020, 10:16:08 PM »
That's a ludicrous reason to cancel that idea. There should be a push to make the game more accessible for the casual player. Hardcore players frankly are assholes who shouldn't be catered to, catering to the hardcore player usually makes the game less fun for everyone else who plays. Help the casual player get a little more power so they fell more empowered to do more in the game.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 07:20:25 AM »
I have to say reincarnation is a bit odd to me.

Consistent equipment nerfs over the past few years to try and tackle the "power bloat" have been the bane of players existence. Nerfing the shinies sucks and is demoralizing. As a side note, the newest zones are the worst. Nerfing old content to create space for even more OP gear isn't balance, it's creator bias.

In parallel, a system was created that provides an easily accessible path to power bloat that requires nothing other than conceding a large portion of ones life.

The two thoughts are completely opposed.

Further, to echo some other posts, has made +stat gear dumpster quality. This has further devalued many old items and has led to only a subset of equipment being valuable , which is perpetually maxed.

There's some real issues which need to be addressed.

Malthros

• Fodder
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 05:13:39 AM »
Isn't it the reason why no-limit items experiment mentioned by Terk was canceled? Because hardcore players became annoyed that casuals got 80-90% of their power.

Maybe? Class sets are a decent thing right now since it’s just a matter of time spent loading them, and hoping the stats aren’t detrimental like auto hide or sneak on tank gear.

And Armaboro should be nolim if it isn’t already simply because of the tedium in keeping that set in order. Though st least you can trade pieces for others but that’s still a lot of trips.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 06:35:10 AM »
I don't know the answer, but there's limited meaningful progression right now.

There's the reincarnation grind, and then a gargantuan power spike when you finally legend. Beyond that there's a long medal grind (if you can be assed).

Effectively you grind until you get bored and give up, or you grind until you're done but realise there's not a lot to do (other than grind more).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:37:06 AM by Jorquin »