Author Topic: I have a dream  (Read 8412 times)

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
I have a dream
« on: January 19, 2013, 06:02:05 AM »
Although the freedom and cleanse changes were nice they didn't seem to address the problem of the black robe. I have a dream where white and black and red are all equal!

But seriously, between comeuppance and spell power ranks nightmare is still completely ridiculous. Not only does it make red and white robes look frankly pathetic, it dwarfs the offensive power or defensive mechanisms any other class(es) can provided. Casting level was a nice idea as well, but in reality getting to 30 cl is extremely easy and achievable with mostly no limit junk items. The problem of the trash mage never went away it just changed persona slightly. Now the trash mage is played until rank 20 and wears some items like two plain black rings, blue gloves, plain brown tunic, heavy golden chains and so on.

The last two wipes have been completely controlled by black robes with nightmare. Something has to change. Although Sanjuro's new zones and some fun legendary stuff gives us some things to play with, the player vs player aspect of the game has been severely neglected. Something has to give or Arctic is going to continue to bleed players.

Firstly I still maintain the game content is far too easy. In my opinion player damage across the board should be cut by 25%, and non heal spell healing (like regenerate, healing wave, healing cloud, cure crit) should be cut by 25%. Player max hitpoints should be reduced also, but how much I'm not sure. This would not only make the game more challenging and enjoyable (some zones might actually be a challenge again), but would combat the fact that Cyan can be done with 0 prep on a whim, several times back to back. These top tier spells should only load in one location and they should be EXTREMELY difficult to get. That one quest that can be done on a 3 man that loads the best spells for mages is a bad joke. It should load like a higher tier green dragonhide book, not a random top 3 spell. Nightmare also needs to be super nerfed to shit. It should firstly deal no damage whatsoever. PWS was strong as hell and that didnt do damage. Spell mod ranks should probably be removed entirely. Comeuppance should be changed to a spell damage boost or have its spell power bonus cut to ribbons. The number of items with +spellpower on them should also be reviewed severely. The damage tent does should also be looked at. Just because you can avoid the damage in a certain way doesn't mean it should hit for about 70hp and have targets automatically fail their save if stunned, and focus. That means one tent cast could potentially do 1400 damage to a 10man group per cast per round.

I've had enough of mage wars. I'm not the only one. It's boring, seriously. Yeah i'm sure "project lube" will fix the problems, too bad there'll only be 12 people left at that time.

A final option is to delete all three mage classes altogether, which frankly seems very appealing.

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
Re: I have a dream
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:24:14 AM »
My main issue is spell_mod ranks/skills - once you land comeuppance and got the ranks stuff like this happens..
Siulents utters some strange words.
You shiver as Siulents unleashes a world of nightmares.
Ellinghad's eyes widen and jaw drops as terror invades his mind.
Manwe ducks out of the way of Siulents's attack.
Siulents destroys Zagur's mirror images.
Zagur's eyes widen and jaw drops as terror invades his mind.
Zagur succumbs to the nightmare and falls into a deep, dark sleep.
Siulents destroys Kriegen's mirror images.
Some of Kriegen's mirror images pop back into view.
Kriegen's eyes widen and jaw drops as terror invades his mind.
Seldom's eyes widen and jaw drops as terror invades his mind.
Seldom succumbs to the nightmare and falls into a deep, dark sleep.

Sure, it's cool for the caster, but stunning 75% of chars that get a save vs it... these chars were twisted fate'd and all legend too - too powerful imo.
I would suggest changing the ranks to +spelldam and comeuppance to +%spelldam (like daniel suggested). Also lowering damage on nightmare/tent seems in order, the ability to disable ppl + high damage them in the same spell - too powerful imo.

On a slightly different note I'd like to have clairvoyance working again (scrap astral beacon) and increased range on hunt/track (at least when legend or certain rank), with the current size on the game it's much too short. I find it sad when the only way to find enemies is to random teleport.

And finally, any news on how "lube" is progressing?

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »
I didn't know aussies celebrated MLK day!

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
all i read is spam

Ericj

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
I would agree with Tajs and Daniel on this.  All of this has been brought up before.  Even PWS was strong before, especially if a clan was able to spam cyan and have 10+ stunners.  It is boring, even if you are a black robe it really is not much fun.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »
Black robe is way overpowered, but the last few years have lead the game in an overpowered direction.  All of a sudden shamans have spirits that can bash, druids have primal fury that adds probably +50 damage per round to the group, healing cloud does 2x crits a round, barbarians basically have heal/regen combo spell, paladins can heal in nomagic, skys are auto-volley, pets are 2x massacring the list goes on and on.  Rediculous eq was added to several zones, i mean the new zone has 3d7 enchantable primes? is that even real?  Who approved that?

I thought about putting a list of my suggestions for changes, but as i started typing, it included basically nerf everything.  On a different note, i think the idea of re-looking at armor class/etc. is a very good idea.  Also, I think it would help the game a ton if the decay system was looked at.  I would also like to see hunt/track changed so its a % chance, and if landed, track would lead you to the last trackable area the player was.  So if a player is currently in a no-track area, the tracks would end at the start of that area.

btown

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:21:13 AM »
Hoss cant you take us back to wiffle bats and nerf balls?

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
Reed for the win.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
I agree with most of whats being said as well. I have never ever tried to legend a mage or thought about legending a mage. Because aside from trash pk, locating, i think they are useless. I would say yes to all the black robe changes mentioned. Removing mages from the game isn't the answer though. Brandon had a great idea about top spells being in item form that decay etc. Limit 1 type deals or lim 2 maybe. So that to have these top spells you have to pop the book and keep the book in your inventory etc, and it can't be passed off. I think it was something like that.

I hate mage wars. I miss the good ole days where you would have maybe 1 mage in a pk group and rest bashers and such. But I dont think tweaking or debuffing most other classes in general is the answer. I like healing zones with my shaman when i feel like playing it. Cleric's are so bapting boring its unreal. Heal, rest, mem, cloak, heal rest. Having rapture now makes it a bit more fun to watch but still pretty lame in general. Sure shamans can spirit bash people but its what? 1 round lag? If that. There is a way to counter it as well which is very easy. I think all of my characters have an item of this type, and they weren't overtly hard to get either.

I think adding more challenges to the game is what the answer is. Buff up main mobs in a zone by 10% or something and see how that works. But with the vastly decreasing player base that is going on. Characters have to be buff. So that 4-5manning most mid/high zones can be done because there just simply isn't enough people on to form more.

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:12:14 AM »
im just sayin, i have been gone 10 years, and the forum back then had the same thing about mages being to powerful. hows that saying go?

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
So about the 18 hours of mud being down?

btown

• Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »
There is another page for that Jorake.. JEEZ

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
i just thought of something, notol is gonna have cl again to terrorize the common folk hhaaha

Zalm

• Favorite Zone: Ancient Keep
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 05:38:45 PM »
Many players complained Power word stun was overpowered. Then they added damage to it and called it nightmare.
When the spell disables several player targets(and it usually does) in pvp battles it's overpowering, and when it doesnt it sucks.
Spells like this are nice to have as a player, but really limit pk options and gameplay  mid to late wipe, especially when you are facing 4 or 5 nightmarers.
Save or Die spells just aren't fun.