Author Topic: New race/class standard (or: Pass the cocaine, I'm designing minotaurs.)  (Read 2250 times)

Hoodoo

• Zoner
Making minotaurs evil only and, more importantly, removing magery from them as an option goes against DL canon almost completely.  I have to admit, I'm frustrated by this:  when coupled with the seemingly overpowering concept of either straight +dam, or more likely, damfactor, in Minotaur (with no correlation in other alignments), this design choice promises to be initially, if not eternally, unbalancing.  We will have to see how these bonuses shake out: granted, minotaurs still likely blow goats for quarters in regards to any save they ever have to make, but that's a far easier fix than innate damfactor (if that is the way it goes).   I can only hope that there is a balance of -2ss vs. innate +1dam in the comparison of Dargo vs.  Mino... these are roughly equivalent in rank cost.   If it is, indeed, damfactor and not straight dam, Minotaurs will be the race of godly powers in this wipe, as damfactor has no rank cost equivalent, and scales in power tremendously in the mid-and high-end game.  Gully dwarves, I don't mind so much:  neutral takes an inherent hit in regards to gear choice (*so* much good gear is good/evil only, little is neutral only) and xp gains that racial limdam seems much more appropriate.

Jason

As an idea, why not include Irda as a playable magery-capable race so as to replace some of the options ripped wholesale from those who choose to play something other than evil? 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:40:48 PM by Hoodoo »

Hoss

• Elder
Re: New race/class standard (or: Pass the cocaine, I'm designing minotaurs.)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
I understand that this may put a wrinkle in your wizard robe and hat. I do appreciate the concern and feedback you have provided. The decision to remove mage class from minotaur and forcing an evil only alignment made the most logical sense. People might claim that they played a minotaur mage for RP reasons, but really it was for the '20con' super mage.

Legendary races are designed to be a step above what a normal player can do with a regular race and rank points. We will monitor the power scale closely and adjust if it is warranted.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
Re: New race/class standard (or: Pass the cocaine, I'm designing minotaurs.)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »
Thanks, that's all I'm looking for.   I enjoyed the canon aspects of Minotaur being different in DL from the traditional 'evil cow, moo' of, say, Forgotten Realms, and yes, seeing that go away does make me sad, purely from an old AD&D geek perspective.  I've never even bothered to joke that I RP on here, though.. I don't think anyone has since OIL. 

I appreciate the willingness to try new things, and I love many of the changes, especially dropping the overall stat pool.  Yes, I was hoping to abuse the 10ish elemental resist across the board/20con aspect of mino mages on wipe, and yes, it makes me sad that I can't. :) But I'm more concerned with the balance perspective of innate damfactor than I am with not being able to go moo and shoot people in the face with pris.   As long as you're willing to watch and adjust if (or, from my perspective, when) this innate damfactor goes horribly wrong, I have no other concerns.  My personal desires matter far less than overall game balance, both to me and to the game as a whole. 

Also, I will now be unable to look at a minotaur without placing an awful Cubano accent on it, so thank you for that. 

"Say hello to my leetle freend.  *stab* *chews cud*"   :)

Jason