Author Topic: the solution to mages! or its really bad idea  (Read 9965 times)

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
the solution to mages! or its really bad idea
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
brandon ok i have a great idea. How about there be only 5 nightmare books in the game 5 blastwaves 5 prisms or even 3. This are ITEMS that will decay just like eq. you can only cast these spells if you have the book in your inventory. If you die the book can be looted. i think that would be great for the super mage spells, also very unlikely one of them mages would use trash tactics. also maybe give druids/clerics a spell like this that there is very few of. otherwise you get deep into wipes and everybody has cyan books. ok if you like it vote no, if you dont like it vote yes

Message edited by brandon 2013-01-3 11:17:10.

Posted: 2013-01-03 11:15:08
Edit Message | Delete Message 

ilya So what happens when a clan like MINE farms these 5 and nobody has any of these "items" Brandon? Or any other clan for that matter...

Message edited by ilya 2013-01-3 12:18:31.

Posted: 2013-01-03 12:14:55 

brandon what happens if wild farms them? or vm? or myth? who is to say you would get them all? lolz @ ilya . + they decay. it would completely neutrelize the mage problem. but there would be still the elite mages

Posted: 2013-01-03 12:18:09

ilya Dragon orbs and Huma's decay but it's very common that clans keep these items all wipe...

Posted: 2013-01-03 12:19:04 

brandon well, it would give more reason to war i guess. but i would say its better then having 20nightmare mages by end wipe. when some could be bots anyway.

Posted: 2013-01-03 12:34:18

kreachor Ilya did say any clan for that matter, but I do think Brandon's idea is a good one. It would eliminate some of the issues. But here is the problem, lets so Wild has majority of stunners or whatnot at one time and they war another clan. That clan would not be able to counter that by popping spells for themselves to fight it. This is a real vague example but just throwing stuff out there.

Posted: 2013-01-03 12:35:46 

kreachor Also,

What if these folks who had the spellbooks decided to deeprent and quit rather then fight? It has been known some folks with limit 1 gear rather do that then fight or give it up.

Posted: 2013-01-03 12:36:46 

brandon i would say make them a decay item maybe 1month timer. also thats why i said like 5 of each, % load. just say there is 15 total elite mage books, they dont all have to be loaded. also make them enourmous rent unheld. books of this caliber must be a held item.. 15books is tomany i think i would stick with maybe 3 of each.

Posted: 2013-01-03 12:51:04

ilya Eric said exactly what I was thinking. B I agree with you that there needs to be a change. However by making it a limited item, it can be controlled and as a result the most powerful clan will likely have these items or pk for them. Once they have all of them, there is literally nothing that can be done to get it back unless you get lucky on a repop...Which as I stated limited items are generally repopped quite well by those who have them.

Posted: 2013-01-03 13:13:13 

gulca easy fix on brandon's idea

each clan tag has limit to 2 of the books/items or whatever you want to limit, deep rent or not.

That way, if you want to loot the said items, you need to
1. clan tag
2. not hit the limit for that clan

So each "power" item will be limited to any particular clan, and you won't have 5 nightmare mages in the same clan.

They can of course create 3 different clans and group with each other.

Posted: 2013-01-03 13:25:04 

brandon yea, but these items can also be looted off your corpse. so i think it makes it more balance the fact you can potentialy lose them all. then all of a sudden the most powerful clan now has zero nightmare mages and opposing underdog clan has 2 or whatever.. 2mages with 1 prism book and 1 nightmare book wont so freely teleport/relocate to people thus eliminating alot of the trash pk. now if someone decides to rent say all 9 of these books or different clans deeprenting, then all of a sudden we have no elite trash squads and the game would be slightly normal

Posted: 2013-01-03 13:27:54

Kadaj I last checked this section at 8 comments. Saw 21, figured Ilya and Brandon were arguing. Was not disappointed.

Posted: 2013-01-03 13:33:21 

brandon this only had a few good points most was garbage.. deleted!

Message edited by brandon 2013-01-3 01:49:49.

Posted: 2013-01-03 13:38:25

brandon kadaj your an idiot, this isnt an arguement or even a debate

Posted: 2013-01-03 13:38:50

jorake Why not put these ideas on the forums. Not everyone looks at suffs.. but there are a lot of good ideas here!

I think having each book auto decay in or out of rent in 3weeks to a month would be superb.

Posted: 2013-01-03 13:39:04 

ilya Better yet have it be a set time for these items to decay to allow for each clan to battle it out for who pops it! I remember having to fight guilds off in WoW for world spawning mobs that only came about once a week, was a blast!

Posted: 2013-01-03 13:56:57 

brandon lol ilya, u could do that. i think if they did anything like that it should be Lord Soth and Cyan all rushing out doing their own zoning somwhat, basically a msg showing alot of elite mobs names and them confiscating alot of main items like nobashes/nightmare book/soth sword even. i would say maybe all the epic items... now we are stretching it ! lube it up!

Posted: 2013-01-03 14:10:34

ilya B post this up on the forums.

Posted: 2013-01-03 14:12:38 

brandon hellno im working, u are gonna get me in trouble.

besides aristox/hoss ignore my post anyway cuz im incomprehensible!

Message edited by brandon 2013-01-3 02:31:38.

Posted: 2013-01-03 14:27:11

Dyl

• Zoner
Re: the solution to mages! or its really bad idea
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
incomprehensible

Seconded.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
Same post as on Elay.  Revamp the decay system.  If an item is in peace room or rent, the timer is ticking.  If it is in a non-peace room, timer is not ticking.  This bullshit of deeprenting needs to stop.  I would even say that an scaled decay timer system would be even better.  1x days in rent/peace room = 10 pts of decay.  Day 2 in rent = 12 pts of decay.  Day 3 in rent = 15 pts of decay, etc.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »
Removing "relocate" from the game is a better idea then making mages more Eq dependent. Making classes more eq dependent means more deep renting and less pking, but if thats how you guys are wanting to continue as then go for it. But I'm tired of all the deeprenting and no pking because people spend hours upon hours loading their precious eq that they don't want to lose because of all the effort they put into loading it.

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
besides aristox/hoss ignore my post anyway cuz im incomprehensible!
^this

I read the thread a few times, and I do like that you are at least thinking about how to improve the game play. The mage classes are such a beast to balance right now because we have very small margins and moving slightly too far left or right makes them either useless or overpowered. I will openly admit that "casting level" was a failed attempt to remove the 'trash' mage from the game. I don't like the outcome it has provided so far and in lubetm a very different approach will hopefully allow us enough room to tune caster classes.

I am not against making the big 3 only able to cast when a certain object is equipped, however I forsee the method not really providing a long term solution as it will only make me pzrent Ilya if he ever gets one.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:35 AM »
Project Lube.  Will this be in effect next wipe?  I think a big overhaul like whatever you are planning will definately help quitted players return. 

Also the last PWIPE was scheduled for Dec 21 or something if i remember,  is there another one scheduled or will the next one be a suprise?  just curious. thanks

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »
Hoss, is the decay system getting a revamp in Lube?

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
Hoss, is the decay system getting a revamp in Lube?

I have it set up to instantly decay anything you wear Reed

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »
Welp, there goes my 2x black rings, blue gloves, 2x earthen brown robes, thick black wand, and bright moonstone dammit!!!!

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:57:16 AM »
Alternate solution to OP MAGES:

Create a group class limitation #:
this can be considered across the board for all classes to create balance

3 robed mages in a group no more than 2 of any given type.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
Cant just make stun a non area type deal? wouldnt that fix it right there if it didnt area an entire group x5 per round? you had to select specific targets wouldnt that make it way less op right there but still powerful?

Gramm

• Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
ie casting "nightmare" on nobody can area but not stun, but casting "nightmare" on gramm will not area at that point but stun him?

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
if stun wasn't an area spell it would be no different then hold monster or web. Sounds like a dumb idea

Gramm

• Zone Leader
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »
Then give it a much higher landing % rate then web or hold person since im yet to see someone successfully land one on me in pk in the last like 4 attempts people have tried on myself.

Malthros

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:42 AM »
Same post as on Elay.  Revamp the decay system.  If an item is in peace room or rent, the timer is ticking.  If it is in a non-peace room, timer is not ticking.  This bullshit of deeprenting needs to stop.  I would even say that an scaled decay timer system would be even better.  1x days in rent/peace room = 10 pts of decay.  Day 2 in rent = 12 pts of decay.  Day 3 in rent = 15 pts of decay, etc.

Kind of punishes anyone that doesn't play daily, however doing this for higher end gear would be fine.  I doubt people are fighting over Huge Steel Claymores or the like, while having a battle-scarred claymore or ancient solamnic broadsword would have more of a use it or lose it aspect due to being high end gear.

Right now it's quite hard to get people to come play when they'll have to play often to not lose their gear to rent, and they'll still risk losing it if they die and can't get back to it in time, if it's even recoverable in the case of some DTs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:12:07 AM by Malthros »