Author Topic: the solution to mages! or its really bad idea  (Read 9870 times)

Hoss

• Elder
Re: the solution to mages! or its really bad idea
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »
I like seeing some ideas on item decay, however keeping it buried in this mage thread...

snax

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
Welp, there goes my 2x black rings, blue gloves, 2x earthen brown robes, thick black wand, and bright moonstone dammit!!!!

great.  I'm looking for a thick black wand.  A big beefy manstick of epic proportions.  A bROwN Jeremy slab of slaying.  I might get it back with the restore tho!

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 06:12:19 AM »
Just throwing in an alternative idea for mages. Mages are completely reliant on their spellbooks. Instead of having a virtual spellbook, lets make them physical, huge decay timer, and fraggable. Instead of studying books, you now scribe spells from them into your spellbook. Failed scribe skill check means you foomed the book you tried to scribe from, successful scribe skill means you transferred the spell to your own spell book and you gain a blank spellbook that you can keep. These blank spellbooks can have unique stats which can provide bonuses/negatives etc.

Each mage starts with one physical spellbook that can hold level 1 to 3 spells. Instead of learning from a guildmaster and failing or learning, you scribe from a guildmaster and can keep trying until you succeed without having to level in between. Once 4th level spells become available you receive a spell book from the guildmaster that can handle 4th-6th level spells and once 7th comes available you get one that can handle 7th to 9th level.

All books can be vaulted or transferred between players and are not required to cast the spell once it is memorized, but if you don't have a spellbook in your inventory that contains the spell you have cast you can't remem that spell. If mage goes into pk and dies enemy mage can loot his spellbook and scribe spells from that book into his own or simply keep the book. If scribing from a spellbook the spell is transferred from one book to the other. A failed scribe skill check fooms the book.

As a last resort books can also be cast from without memorizing the spells using recite skill. Book must be held to be cast from. If mage makes skill check and rolls a 20 he casts the spell from the book and the spell stays in the book. If mage makes skill check but doesn't get a perfect roll the spell is cast and the spell is gone from the book. If mage fails skill check the spell is still gone from the book, but instead of the mage casting the spell, the book casts the spell. If mage tried to cast area spell from the book it now hits every pc/npc in the room including the mage. If the mage tried to cast buff spell, the book casts it to no effect. If mage tried to cast single frag, the book targets the mage. Successful recite skill use for scroll or book lags the mage for 1 round only, failure lags for 2 rounds. Haste should halve the lag in both cases. All classes should gain recite skill, with caster classes gaining higher potential proficiency and tank classes gaining lower skill. Intelligence should affect chance for successful recite by giving bonuses or negatives. Recite difficulty should be linked to spell level. No more 100% chance to recall!

Thoughts?

Book loaded from a zone is norent and not castable from until the spell in the book has been successfully scribed, in which case the now blank book becomes rentable, can be scribed to, and once scribed to, cast from. Books can only hold 1 of each spell.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »
Closing this thread.

I think some of the ideas can lead to solutions to problems, but I think it has run its course.