Poll

What style of zone do you prefer?

I like complex zones with large numbers of quests where solving is the main challenge.
2 (5%)
I like simple zones with minimal keywords where hard fights are the main challenge.
8 (20%)
I like zones where the challenge is spread between solving and hard fights, but mainly focused on hard fights.
17 (42.5%)
I like zones where the challenge is spread between solving and hard fights, but mainly focused on solving.
9 (22.5%)
Zone content is irrelevant. I only care about quality of rewards.
1 (2.5%)
potato
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: People's zone preferences  (Read 10801 times)

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
Re: People's zone preferences
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
Personally, I prefer a death that takes me by surprise. I also like to live on the razor edge of dying. Fights that have an ebb and flow of battle where i/we could win or die at any moment are the mudding experiences I enjoy.

What I don't like are DT with no purpose. If a room or zone is going to kill me, I had better learn some thing from it. (Learning to avoid said room don't count)

Trapped chests are always awesome deaths because it brings me back to the zone to disable and find out what awesome hidden goodie is worth dying for.

snax

Re: A good death
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
Classically I'ld imagine a good death as one where a series of unfortunate circumstances reaches a crescendo that teeters ominously between life and death. 

It's one of those make it or break it screwups that subsequently becomes next to impossible to cr (sometimes very tedious like maybe a small group silvanesti forest death/lone man straggling off into or the very end of a zone that likes to repop as the last dying breath leaves that 10th body)

A good death leaves you flipping a coin or debating entering a drunken stupor while convincing other people to prop bottles in their kids mouths and call in sick tomorrow and stay up all night and try to work if they absolutely must go...

however, I'ld say a good death nowadays would be one where your gear arrives in a box stamped Amazon Prime 2 days later.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 09:13:02 PM »
The best deaths are the ones where you know you are going to die, but that your sacrifice will allow most of your group to get out alive.  Pretty much every failed Cyan attempt ever counts.

walters

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 07:03:28 AM »
If you want to say people are gifted zones and/or kws your right some people are and I know multiple people with evernote or personal notes they share. Every person who leads things in this game their is a somewhat high chance they didn't sit and figure out every kw themselves for every zone they know

iltar

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 09:22:37 AM »
Maybe I haven't played this game enough to be considered "real" player but still keywords are such a painful topic for me that I want to comment on this.
IMO, main purpose of keywords should be not making zone secret, but to make player read room descriptions. So for anyone who reads them, keywords should become obvious. For example, I figured most of Boku myself and it's difficulty seems to be balanced, but instead of being easy to figure zone on Arctic's scale, it should be the difficult one. Maybe there are players who have enough time to gather 10 friends and spend days in zone figuring obscure keywords, but personally I don't even have enough time that I can devote to this game. Also I think that in 60% of places either "open", "move" or "climb" should work, especially as I don't know english well enough to figure how to load that owl feather. Overall quality of keywords should be superior to the quantity of them. If some players like text quests, then there should be a few difficult to figure zones, but not 95% of game content to be difficult.
And you don't even want me to get started on mage quests even though most of them are creative.

Jorake

• Zone Leader
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 06:26:48 AM »
In translation. baptyouTerk!*High Five Iltar!*

I agree with pretty much everything being said here really. I lead a pretty sizable portion of the mud. Most not being given to me but just from either studying a log or just from being there 100x with someone else. There are those few zones I know that someone taught me though for sure. Or I got stuck and someone gave me kw. But there are those things you would NEVER know unless a friend told you. And that's ok too. I don't care who knows what honestly. I mean at this point, 70% of the zones in the game should just be made public knowledge anyhow. We have less and less people so it gets harder and harder to explore.

I do think we should never let Terk make another zone again EVER! And Kw's dont need to be a 4 hour problem to solve either. If your goal is to make a zone the hardest to figure out then you are just doing things wrong. Period. The goal for any and every zone should be for it to fit into the game theme, hold an interest all the way through and not make people want to rip their dicks off out of frustration. Whoever created Dargaard did a fantastic job! Make zones more like that. Everything you need as far as I know is inside the zone. The fights could be a little harder but the fight setups are nice. The only time you should ever have to go to another zone  for items is when you are doing a quest. Such as omen quest or emils etc.

Get your shits together!

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 07:29:15 PM »
See, I disagree here.  I think there are a lot of really fun and interesting multi-zone quests in the game: Quath's zonelets, Archimedes' owl quest (back when it was fully active), Harn's lantern - these are great fun quests that take a long time and a lot of exploration to figure out.  That said, the majority of any zone should be accessible with only obvious keywords (although looking at multiple redescs might be necessary to find the object of the keyword).  But I think that having small sections of a zone which are not necessary to the central idea and which take intimate zone knowledge and perhaps hundreds of runs to put all the details together are part of the fun. 
Every time I find something new in a zone I've run for a decade I get excited.  I just learned something new about Dragonarmy Prison Camp, and I'm pretty sure I ran that zone the first month it was implemented!
Not everyone needs to know everything about every zone, but I also agree that some of the super secret stuff shouldn't be shared.  If you need a kw just to get to the main zone boss I'm fully in support of people helping each other.  But amassing tiny tidbits of information from personal experience is what makes muds with the longevity of arctic so fun to play.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
Favourite death this wipe was my first time opening a box at the very end of a zone inside of a vault, without detecting it first, i killed all 10 of my group members, then the zone repopped. Priceless.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
Speaking of archimedes' quests... honestly, these things rock but some hack and slash zon moving broke them.  Can we please, please, please get them fixed?  (I've asked before, will probably keep doing so, I love his zones and soooo much of them have been broken.)

snax

Re: Archimedes Quest - Crytic / Gear Inflation
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 11:00:38 PM »
Seriously, now that +dams are in so many zones, would it really kill the game or even remotely even potentially have beyond a tiny blip on the balance to just load object golden.key on uhm the captain corak i think his name is as worn neck?

not that this quest has anything to do with dams but we're talking about a game where I logged on last and bought a bladeless sword (high end semi-elite prime in it's hay-day) from the world merchant

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »
Thank you WORLD MERCHANT, for your freshly stocked community vault. with benefits.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
While I have no way of proving this, I'd lay fair money the broken crytic portion is due to ill-performed hack and slash on the zone move, likely involving rnum pointers or similar.