Poll

What style of zone do you prefer?

I like complex zones with large numbers of quests where solving is the main challenge.
2 (5%)
I like simple zones with minimal keywords where hard fights are the main challenge.
8 (20%)
I like zones where the challenge is spread between solving and hard fights, but mainly focused on hard fights.
17 (42.5%)
I like zones where the challenge is spread between solving and hard fights, but mainly focused on solving.
9 (22.5%)
Zone content is irrelevant. I only care about quality of rewards.
1 (2.5%)
potato
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: People's zone preferences  (Read 10806 times)

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
People's zone preferences
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »
Curious as to what people prefer.

muddeer

• Fodder
Re: People's zone preferences
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 02:42:19 AM »
I hate stupid keywords; ones that are just random, thesaurus-required.  Hints to keywords should be available in zone, another zone, DL books, etc..

edit:  I should add that zones should have more puzzles that are not keywords or spin rooms.  My all-time favorite one was in Zork III, where you had to push cubic blocks making up a maze in right order and direction to create a way through (yes, I'm that old).  I can't remember anything else about the game, but I remember that maze.

edit 2:  and with a low player population, we need more low- and mid-level zones
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:13:05 PM by muddeer »

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:16:32 AM »
I personally prefer the types of zones where everything you need is in that specific zone. Otherwise i will spend wasted hours looking for something that might not be in that zone even... or if you cant find the key to the next part you can just locate it and work from there. Sometimes puzzles can be fun, though really fun.
 so long as they dont end up dting you for the wrong answer like end of the last zone i took a group into a nomagic area, arranged some statues in the wrong order and then got raped by a mob in a nomagic spot you couldnt escape from. Probably would have been more fun if it wasnt at the very end of the zone resulting in a repop haha. but the journey to the massrip was still pretty damned fun.
All in all I love the environment that this game provides, some challenges are easy, some are hard as hell, but normally the hard ones pay off in elite shinies and spells so it pays off to die a few times learning them : )

Big fights are a MUST bring em on dan!!! I really enjoyed the scout fights that were put into play or mobs like megalodon that separate the group in a mass panic! or fenris singling out a caster that you cant rescue or fun specs like that.

Kudos to whoever made the scout mobs those are fun fights.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:30:50 AM »
I love intricate zones with hidden bits to find, yet with challenging fights.  What I do not care for are zones with unnecessarily ambiguous keywords (ambulate stalagmite, I'm staring directly at you).   

More to the point, though, there is a common belief that certain zones have been 'gifted' to certain people via keyword hints.  If you're going to put in such ambiguous/crotch-poundingly difficult keywords, ensure that *all have the same shot at them*.   There will always be rumours, I understand and accept this.  The trust we place in the immortal staff is as follows, though:  in a game of limited equipment numbers and scarce resources, no player will be more privileged with information than any other player.  No immortal will shadow the first group to go through a zone, offering hints subtle or otherwise.  All keywords will be hinted in some way, such that no immortal may secrete a 'hidden gem' for himself or friends, not logically findable without prior knowledge.  Such things have been done: as long as this trend stays firmly in the past, write whatever zones you find interesting, and we will enjoy them.

Just give everyone the same chance.

Jason

Postscript:   Also, please fix the broken links and pointers within the Archimedes zone cluster, please.  Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:37:47 AM by Hoodoo »

snax

Re: missing option - zones filled with obscene amounts of rank mobs
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 07:45:18 AM »
see message title.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »
"Loot whore" option has been changed to "reward whore" as requested.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:15 AM »
Good poll - more of this should happen for immortals/creators better understand the current playerbase.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »
Where's the option for "I like some zones that are hard to solve and other zones where the battles make the difference".

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »
there is no potato option, poll is invalid.

Rhys

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »
I am rather antisocial. Zones where you teleport as a single person are my favourites. You live and die by your own mistakes.
Mage quest, regen quest, etc.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »
My favorite zones are "tiered" zones, where more content becomes available as you find out more.  Sirrion caverns is a good example - at first I thought it was just a hack-and-slash zone to kill some trogs, but eventually found out there was a whole 2nd section with more mobs and actually decent loot (for a level 3-8 zone).  However, I am a notorious zone farmer, so I recognize my bias towards less popular zone content.

Another example would be Brogs, where there are 3 distinctly different sections (and used to load a nice wipe-day set (+vs for the win!!!)).

These aren't necessarily super "questy" as much as exploring and putting zone items together.  Ridiculous keywords are exhausting.

Regardless, I feel like a good zone should have each section include its own intrinsic rewards, whether that be powerleveling, loading coins, ranks, or gear.

snax

Re: my zone preferences
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
on a serious note, my favorite zones....

well, sirrion caverns I sorta got spoiled with an early solution with zipperstatical shriner/bda era.  It has it's issues but it's actually got a LOT of really neat features, if perhaps someone like Jorquin could give it a facelift instead of a bulldozer revamp.  I loved the palanthas mines which I started getting into about 3 wipes ago, because despite being really small, was a throw back to a zone I got dragged to well before I knew what the hell I was doing.  I liked the pal cemetary and kal cemetary, and even kurt's tarsis treehouse till all his quest items became decay on drop, and it's actually aged poorly, but it with a facelift would be pretty cool.

brogs, man, scrappinak, if you can think back to a time when I was on cool terms with you, I just wanna say ZOT! and say time flies.

druid's nook is pretty solid, but it needs some backwards stepping instead of being so one way, but all in all you did a good job mister zone creator.

and super props for not dicking up my all time favorite zone which was sahuaging reef sir, although I miss my sphere of unlimited followers you did leave in the held fly light.

so...yeah zone preferences....

it should be tricky, soloable, it would be hella awesome if you made it uncheatable, with a dynamic function to generate a new keyword every repop, mostly soloable but brute forcable like earli's (think that is who valoren became) kago revamp....

lots of great content has come out over the years, and honestly...so many great creators, very few bad creators.  Terk was a blessing.  Noryl was focused *cough cough* *and cough* ...blighted farm sucks, and darken woods still needs to be a walmart parking lot..... but uhm....

I'ld love something around tarsis.  Tarsis needs LOVE.  AND MORE LOVE.  AND EVEN MORE LOVE. Tarsis needs a ruined shipyard.  It was THE preeminant pre-cataclysmic go-to for trade.  or at least a throwback expansion on the sewers....something.  make it interesting again for mid levels / soloable at rank and I'll def be on at least to check it out and whine and applaud.

yeah sorta rambly, lost my focust while watching amc.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for input! Knowing what you guys prefer helps guide my hand when designing new ways to kill you all.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 05:24:08 AM »
Thank you for asking! Shows you care about the common pondscum : )

Sanjuro

• Overseer
  • Fodder
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 05:05:24 AM »
We only care that you die.

Speaking of, what makes a good death, from a player's point of view?