Poll

Should immortals be involved with people whining about pk issues?

YES!
Yeah, I'm one of the people who wine.
Yes but only if it is on players under lvl 15 with-out limited gear.
NO!
I don't care enough to put forth a vote.

Author Topic: Should immortals handle pk issues?  (Read 9882 times)

eddiex

• Zoner
Re: Should immortals handle pk issues?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 07:17:52 PM »

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
im not only talking about rise, griefers is a term that i personally think could be applied to someone who does what i used to do. I was absolutely a griefer for a few wipes not understanding why what happened kept happening, but a few folks who were my friends amongst who i thought were my enemies such as yourself and eddie helped me understand that what i was doing was just as bad as griefing by killing someone 3x a week and looting their gear. Everyone enjoys arctic in their own way. So calling someone an asshat everytime they kill someone is not good either i get that now, and admit that in the past i was a douchebag at times just like at least 25% of this mud probably is at times also.

And im not speaking about rise specifically, i watched people grief rise each time they logged also at certain points over the last couple of wipes. They too have had their arctic experience soiled alongside many others not in rise. But for me yes Rise is a good example of both sides maybe getting a little too extreme over really what was nothing. I joined Rise because of guys like reed and eddie. They like to enhance other peoples experience and ive been a part of it now. I am not throwing stones at anyone specific here folks :p just saying that sometimes and not even either of you can deny, people need to be dealt with, and the playerbase cant seem to hack it alone always.

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 09:05:59 PM »
I think it's kind of a downer that immortals don't actually come to the forums to comment about all this, and interact with the players. The term "immortal" sounds all fancy, but if anything I would have thought that it meant someone who was reallllyyyy into the game: interacted with other players a lot, played the game, helped ppl zone, worked through conflicts, dealt with issues in a constructive manner, etc. I have no idea how the whole immortals promotion thing works ... but cmon .... this isn't like some big company with a high powered CEO that has no time for the little folk.

Would be fun to have a rule that if anyone bitches about immortals, their character gets turned into a lower immortal and they have to do bitch work on the mud. Write some lube code. Fix typos. Help with newbies. Handle complaints. Might help people get a bit more perspective.   

snax

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 10:09:34 PM »

Would be fun to have a rule that if anyone bitches about immortals, their character gets turned into a lower immortal and they have to do bitch work on the mud. Write some lube code. Fix typos. Help with newbies. Handle complaints. Might help people get a bit more perspective.

31's can only set titles and spam ats/poofs into upper godshome, 32's get 2 lame socials: snowball and beep, and 33's still can't do shit.  34s+ are the only real imms.  everyone with less than a god tag is a gamebitch. unless something has changed lately. demoting lower imms wouldn't really help anything, and turning a bitch into a disabled bitch is just cruel.

Now some of the retired's / 31s may or may not have global read/write access (look up any keyword in any zone etc) chances are they've contributed a HELL of a lot if they do have any priviledge over a 31.

afaik.

walters

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 12:54:08 AM »
Most of the upper staff is to busy with trying to get everything on track with the game to worry about small things like this at the moment im sure eventually one of them will comment about it. gotta cut them a little slack a few of them have been working in creation and trying to get things together to transfer the mud to a new server.

muddeer

• Fodder
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 02:58:13 AM »
this isn't like some big company with a high powered CEO that has no time for the little folk.

Errr, ya, it's definitely not some big company.  In fact, I heard it's just some folks voluntarily giving up their free time and doing what little they do without pay.  They don't even own their server and have to pay out of their own pockets to use one!  Ya, these people suck.  Anyways, I'm sorry that you feel you are not getting your money's worth, Neyman.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:06:49 AM by muddeer »

muddeer

• Fodder
double post deleted
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 03:00:33 AM »
damn double posts...

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
Think you misunderstood what I wrote. Yes I am very greatful the immortals invest their time to manage the game and work on creation. Yes it is nice that the game is free. All I was saying was that I felt it is odd that despite all the hard work to make the game awesome, there seems to be little emphasis by the upper staff in actually interacting with the people playing the game. Like working all night to make really awesome nice cupcakes for your guests, bringing them out on a nice platter, but not sticking around to talk.

But who knows. Maybe thats just what everyone here likes. One group really likes making the cupcakes. Making sure the frosting is interesting; that there are hidden nooks and crannies, cyanide pills in the wrong places, etc. Another group just likes eating the cupcakes, licking the frosting all night, and periodically throwing cupcakes at each other. And thats all there is.

Anyway, not sure why I got myself sucked into this. I guess nostalgia.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »
Hoss has caused more people to quit than any randomer or pk. When I use to play I did my share of pking but I don't believe I ever cause anyone to quit. Well maybe Nate but that's it. Hoss has done more bad than good for this game. Let the solace peacekeepers maintain the peace and do away with evil hoss.

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »
I voted yes.. because it lowers the player base and all the gear can be mine!

Lasher

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »
I normally don't voice an opinion one way or the other, but as a member of the silent minority or whatever, I felt like I should say something. In this instance, I have to vote yes... but in an ideal world/MUD I would vote no (but that would depend on players actually conducting themselves like civilized human beings, which is something I'm not entirely convinced of yet). I say yes because, as I read these forums, I see the same characters over and over attacking the people who are running this game and keeping it alive for all of us to enjoy, and for what? What exactly is that meant to achieve? If you've been deleted, you probably deserved it for breaking the rules. I used a multi ONCE about seven years ago and was put in the Abyss for it. Lesson learned: don't break the rules. I've been playing this game since 97 and you want to know what I think is really killing this game? Clans. A clan is just a club for drama queens and sociopaths. All you do is go around taking this game WAAAAAY too seriously and ruining it for other people by placing your enjoyment over theirs. You're the serial pkers and I'm glad the gods have finally chosen to smite you into oblivion for your arrogance and condescension. It happened in the books and it's happening in the game, and the people getting punished are just as clueless as the Kingpriest when he got a mountain dropped on his head.

That's why I play this game: the books. C'mon people... Dragons of Autumn Twilight! The Test of the Twins! That's the source material this game is based on! Doesn't that mean anything anymore? If you haven't read the books, or simply haven't read them in awhile, I urge you to pick them up and engage this game on another level. I remember when I used to go train my cleric in Palanthas under Crysania (I miss her) and nerd out over all the references the game made to the books. I've been sharing these books with my friends and family for years and rereading them every now and again. I've probably read about 30+ Dragonlance books in my life and that's what I enjoy most about this game. The attention to detail and the effort put behind making this an immersive experience is incredible, especially for a text-based game and you should all be way more grateful to the people who keep it running than you are. I often tell people about this game and describe it as one of those "choose your own adventure" books we used to get as kids where it was like "To go west, turn to page 19. To go east, turn to page 128."

I love this game, but what has driven me away was not Hoss or any other immortal (I have never needed/wanted to get to know an immortal so closely that I ever felt intimidated/threatened by them. In fact, one of my fondest memories of this game was when Nuitari came into a zone he created that I was in and asked how I liked it. I was thrilled) or real life responsibilities/woes or even random pkillers (though I do loathe you)! It was the so-called "elite" (and extremely vocal) playerbase, most of whom were in some ridiculous clan or other. Clans/clan members get an undeserved amount of special treatment and are the biggest whiners I have ever had the displeasure of playing alongside. They're the people who aren't trying to *play* this game, they're the ones trying to *win* it. The problem is, you can't win this game, just like you can't win life. Obviously that concept is over some peoples head, but the problem seems clear, in my opinion: A childish playerbase that is too used to getting what they want and the immortals giving them the negative attention that they desperately crave. It's sad, really.

This is the first time I've played in years and I thought the reason I was enjoying myself more was because there weren't that many people on (and therefore I felt safer), but then I was reading the forums and I saw that a number of the older/more experienced playerbase had quit the game over whatever nonsense drama they created for themselves. I realized that I didn't want less players, I wanted newer BETTER players that don't take everything that goes wrong in the game as a personal affront that needs to be corrected. I was absolutely thrilled! "Finally!" I thought, "Now I can explore/learn/play the game! Now, when I get pked, I can feel like it's a PART of the game and not the ENTIRE game! Now I can actually get spellbooks and learn zones without getting kicked out by 5 clannies that act like they own the place! Now i can introduce NEW players without feeling like they will be discouraged by the obnoxious people that seem to always be on!" Sadly, those zones that need 5+ people are out for me because I can't bring myself to group up with several clannies and be caught up in their nonsense, or worse, have my character become associated with them and get hunted later because I'm presumed to be a multi *Lasher vomits. And yes, before any of you lingering members of the "good" clans come back to tell me there were clans that didn't consistently act like complete jackholes, I will concede that some clans were better than others. I still don't think it's worth the grief and I'm entitled to my opinion, as well as to express said opinion on this forum. If you're making a higher profile for yourself in this game, is it any wonder the gods take special notice of you?

TL;DR - Yes, the immortals should interfere in the affairs of mortals to dispense justice as they see fit. It's their world, we're just playing in it. Welcome to Krynn.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:59:45 PM by Lasher »

snax

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »
Re: Lasher.

That was a brilliantly well composed post.  Thank you for sharing your silent voice.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »
re Lasher: you CAN win Arctic - by hitting rank 50.  One person has done it, ever.  He has never played since...

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
This isn't the right spot to post this but i got a laugh out of some of the older posts on this list of polls from sufs.

http://www.arctic.elay.org/index.php?option=poll&action=listpolls