Author Topic: Multiing  (Read 38250 times)

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Multiing
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:59:15 PM »
So... it's been 3-4 times now since the wipe where I thought of coming back and playing for a little bit, and then it strikes me time and time again - no one is playing (figuratively speaking). You can't do anything when you're on the game once you're leveled. Coming back after the first 2-3 months of a wipe (if that, nowadays) is like grinding to max level in an MMO knowing you're not going to partake in any of the endgame.

Are there any plans to allow multiing at some point in the future after a wipe's "mojo" has been sapped from it? (~3 months, at discretion of the 36 in charge during said wipe).

#1 it's well known that it does happen already
#2 it will help out the newbies who haven't been able to explore on their own or want to learn specific things but don't have a chance when the mud is in full swing
#3 a lot of the veterans, I'm sure, are like me - sometimes they feel nostalgic and feel like just killing some text dragons, but have no outlet

Thoughts?

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
Re: Multiing
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »
im imagining 10 groups of finnbots randoming the mud

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »
im imagining 10 groups of finnbots randoming the mud

Even so, and that being an extreme, they're going to random the other five people playing?

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
Don't you mean ten MORE groups do Finn bots randoming the mud?

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
well if it could somehow be restricted to 1 multi per person id be all for it.  its near impossible to find groups as a neutral and soloing is stupid.

if every person was controlling a 10 man group however, i think it would get retarded fast.

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »
well if it could somehow be restricted to 1 multi per person id be all for it.  its near impossible to find groups as a neutral and soloing is stupid.

if every person was controlling a 10 man group however, i think it would get retarded fast.

But retarded for who...no one would be playing at the time this is permitted into a wipe.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
the amount of people playing shrinks every wipe, i think the only reason botting isnt legal now is theres no way to police how many bots each person has

once you allow one, whats to stop ten? its just a matter of not wanting to open the floodgates, i think

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:25:04 AM »
the amount of people playing shrinks every wipe, i think the only reason botting isnt legal now is theres no way to police how many bots each person has

once you allow one, whats to stop ten? its just a matter of not wanting to open the floodgates, i think

..BUT NO ONE'S PLAYING...

I don't understand why it matters.

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 04:11:41 AM »
there are only 5 people on during the slow times but there are still 15-20 in peak hours (+multis).  even if no extra people come back that would be 20 ten man groups all pkilling or doing the same high level zones.

it would also completely kill grouping.  why group when you can rank up 10 characters at once?

1 or 2 multis is plenty!

Malthros

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »

People have used heal and tank bots for god knows how long (and I've had people bitch at me for not using auto-rescue triggers) with no penalty. 

Allowing multis won't really solve the problem that keeps away new people.  Having to play regularly to not lose your gear (deadbeat/decays) and risk losing everything when you die isn't appealing to people that can go play dozens of other games for free instead, one of those being a D&D mmo specifically.

e: Balance of things like Nightmare hasn't helped much either.

Ericj

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »
Malthros,

I think you are spot on but also, just look at the game in general.  Not as many new players due to the large amount of games out there.  I'm only 26 but when I started 13 years ago, I didn't have many online options.  So arctic has its back against the wall already.  In terms of keeping older players, I think the game itself, even with certain fixes can have a shelf life.  Folks get older, more obligations, less time and might have already solved/beaten most the challenges mud as to offer. 

I think changes are good and if it brings back players, even for a short period of time that is great, but we have to realize we will never bring in as many new players as we are bound to lose.

Slunt

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »
I have been thinking about playing again. The playerbase is really small. Most of my friends in CORE are done for the wipe. I have logged maybe 4 hours in the last 2 weeks rolling characters but as i come back i think it would be really fun to be able to Multi. I know higher ups have commented on this topic in the past, but maybe its time to reconsider this rule.

Hoss

• Elder
Multiing
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »

Slunt

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
In response to the slippery slope statement i would say currently people can log 1 character and have access to the same proxy and clever scripting techniques so i don't think it will be any different from that standpoint.

My opinion is that there is a shrinking playerbase allowing someone to have an additional character allows them to do more zones in the game with out the need of a group. A group which may or may not be available.

RaVaN

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
  My response to this is that this game has been made exceedingly easier in the past few wipes with Legend, Ranks, Class Revamp, and so forth.  The playerbase is not in my opinion at the point where multi-botting should be instituted as a standard of the game. The zones where you needed 8-10 in the past have become 2-4 man in many cases or even solo for the right classes.  There are still a few zones where you need a large group to be successful as it should be.  In no way is the player base so crippled that in order to do those zones, you need to have x bots.  What it amounts is laziness on the part of the players to make friends/share information with clanmembers or to actually see what zones you can do with less people or even grouping unknowns.  People are ninjaing zones all over the place. 

The fact is at this point, not finding enough people to do x zone is entirely an attitude problem of players NOT a lack of players problem.  Basicly, the "I don't like x because of what it did to me 20 years ago" attitude.  Or for some reason, you think X unknown is a spy going to steal your shines.  Get over it!  The fact is there are so few people that really will pk you these days that the paranoia retardedness should have died years ago.  The only clan that hasn't had that paranoia of late is MINE...and they been grouping and helping just about anyone that isn't a complete moron/dick and they have been doing this for wipes.

That being said, I am just as guilty as everyone else since there are quite a few people in the game I really don't have a real use for.  I do however, make an effort.  People just need to realize this is a game...have fun and play with people.  Players are the best way to maintain the playerbase.  The more paranoid you are, the more you are a dick for the sake of being a dick, the more you whine about this person did/said/acted x to you, the more you leave people out in the cold for gear hoarding or information hoarding...the more players we lose because the PLAYERS have made the game un-fun and creates a lack of the same.  Why?  Because most of us are getting old...and as we get older we have enough drama in real life that dealing with drama in what should be entertaining is just stupid.     

To prove Hoss's point of "I'll quit if you don't do what I want":

I WILL quit the day botting is made legal.  The only exception to this would be an addition of some mercenary mechanic that is an ingame mechanic that allows anyone to use regardless of level of knowledge in the game or programming skills.  Allowing botting only makes this game more exclusive than it already is.

Anyhow...end of rant.