Author Topic: Multiing  (Read 37112 times)

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: Multiing
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »
Just a few comments:

1. Multi and bot are 2 separate things. It is easier to multi if you know how to bot, but like Daniel said, it is possible to multi without bot/script.

2. Like wise, if you know how to bot, that doesn't automatically mean you multi.

3. Being able to write scripts to bot doesn't mean you are a good player. I'm living a proof. It just mean that a lot of time-sink actions are delegated to scripts instead of manual typing.

4. If you allow me to multi, I will be able to create massive lvl 30 armies in very little time if I want to. That's known as xp blazing and its not because I cheat, but really its because I know how to xp really well.

5. I know multi and char sharing are 2 things, but if you are allowed to multi, why or what's stopping char sharing?

I don't see a real value in allowing multi'ing. If people are complaining about being hard to solo, just open up real magic shops that sells heal/cure/prep potion/scroll.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:44:12 PM by gulca »

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
People already multi and dont get caugt
Half the people in this forum has already admitted to multiing
I have lead large clans and never multied, i feel cheated
If you can't police multiing let the rest of us do it
It's unavoidable
It's fair

Felix

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
First, the conversation that this topic has created has been great.  More input and dialogue like this serve to create an environment where the game can grow and become better.

After reading through everything, here's a few ideas.
1. Multiplay limited to player +1 or perhaps +2, no more.
2. At character creation you must designate a new character as a multi or solo play, and it will remain that way throughout the characters life. No change backsies.
3. Multiplay characters are unable to initiate or assist in PK.  They can defend themselves if attacked.
4. Characters designated as multiplay characters do not gain rank points.
5. Perhaps halve the lifespan of multiplay characters

Botting happens - more so than I realized by this thread.  Any "solutions" meant to stop it that have been discussed are either a gigantic coding time dump or just as likely to catch someone afk - sitting around for hours on vent just in case Hoss stops in to say hi just isn't going to happen for this boy.  By limiting the game for multiplayers, you are keeping the high end content sacred and giving casual players an outlet which will open a whole new world to them.

suf

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:37 PM »
Clearly botting should only be allowed if the person is ambidextrous and mudding from two computers using telnet only.

Left hand operates computer A. Right hand operates computer B.

Imagine the skills the ArcticMud population would gain. Suddenly at least 10 people in the world would spend all their waking hours learning to type ambidextrously and simultaneously.

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »
I'll play with you, Corey :)

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2013, 07:35:30 AM »
I'll play with you, Corey :)

We all have our friends and our niches in playing, you know what I mean.

I need to play high efficiency or I don't enjoy it, and I don't think the current playerbase does that :(

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »
and so arctic will stay in the dark ages.

it'll be fine for the first 1-2 months of the wipe, where people actually will play. then slowly the numbers will dwindle and it'll be back to square one.
as a side note, don't you think its fairly lame to bait out an open forum where people own up and openly talk about their proxy/multi'ing activities and then later say that anyone who gets "known" for doing it will have no credibility in future? as far as i can see that is basically entrapment

Dagda

• Fodder
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
yeah wilds will have 10+people to play this wipe now, so we cant allow multing because then they will have competition....
great the mud will continue to get smaller now as you delete more people hoss thanks i wont be playing this wipe either....
continue to make mud even smaller good job......enjoy playing in your big ass sandbox with no one to play with but yourself's.
thanks for ruining a great game for your own benefit wild scum,  this mud will keep dwindling in numbers every year and you put some hope in this mud by letting people multi, but hey enjoy having average of 15 people online what fun

What the hell does wild have to do with Hoss and Aristox making a decision?  You really should consider therapy for your paranoia.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
rofl, coming from david the biggest botter of them all.  i remember when we killed turrible and myth only had a few people on but david had 3 bots to add to the group so my group died.  soo goodbye david i dont care if you come back.  go cheat/multi/bot on a different game

Super Tacoman

• Fodder
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »

RaVaN

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »
  As most people might guess, I applaud this decision.  I spent a lot of time reflecting on my distaste for multying and the side effect of botting, trying to see why I find it so distasteful,  The best argument I came up with is that it is just the same as Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, Might and Magic and games similar to those where you control more than one avatar.  The obvious counter to that argument is that it isn't.  Those games were specifically made around the controlling of more than one character and were solo and noncompetitive games.  For a competitive game to succeed, the game must be developed around that competition.  Arctic was specifically designed around a 1 char at one time metagame and social interactions.  Changing that policy would put the game where it was never intended to go.  This fact does not change even with people cheating nor does the fact that to allow multying without large ingame changes will result in a failure of the game as a whole.  Making the changes necessary to allow for it would turn Arctic from a competitive social game into something very NOT Arctic and generic which would I would personally rather see a new name for the game than Arctic and let it die with grace(I prefer Bottic for the new name).

The fact is, multying and botting in a competitive game has ruined countless games whether free or pay to play unless the game was specifically designed around multying and botting.  The only people that truly benefit from Multiing and Botting in games that don't allow for it is those who cheat while doing massive harm to the game.  Those who feel the need to break the game rules deserve what punishment they get, and further more (in my opinion) are people that actively hurt the overall state of the game that we don't need.  Just look at the arguments that have been made for allowing it then compare it with many of the reasons people have quit over the years.  The majority of arguments for it all stem because someone has done it and gotten away with it leading others to feel justified in doing the same.  This drives players away, prevents the social nature of the game due to paranoia of getting caught, kills the competitive nature of the game, and just all around bad feelings.  Let me say this as well, anyone who feels they have achieved any sense of dominance due to cheating...guess what...you are trash and have been trash ever since you allowed ego, greed, or laziness to take precedence.  It doesn't matter what you have achieved since you cheated.  As Keila has shouted repeatedly, "STOP CHEATING".  Seek to be a better caliber of player.  For those that have not given into that desire to cheat, great job and you are the true heroes in this game.

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »
  As most people might guess, I applaud this decision.  I spent a lot of time reflecting on my distaste for multying and the side effect of botting, trying to see why I find it so distasteful,  The best argument I came up with is that it is just the same as Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, Might and Magic and games similar to those where you control more than one avatar.  The obvious counter to that argument is that it isn't.  Those games were specifically made around the controlling of more than one character and were solo and noncompetitive games.  For a competitive game to succeed, the game must be developed around that competition.  Arctic was specifically designed around a 1 char at one time metagame and social interactions.  Changing that policy would put the game where it was never intended to go.  This fact does not change even with people cheating nor does the fact that to allow multying without large ingame changes will result in a failure of the game as a whole.  Making the changes necessary to allow for it would turn Arctic from a competitive social game into something very NOT Arctic and generic which would I would personally rather see a new name for the game than Arctic and let it die with grace(I prefer Bottic for the new name).

The fact is, multying and botting in a competitive game has ruined countless games whether free or pay to play unless the game was specifically designed around multying and botting.  The only people that truly benefit from Multiing and Botting in games that don't allow for it is those who cheat while doing massive harm to the game.  Those who feel the need to break the game rules deserve what punishment they get, and further more (in my opinion) are people that actively hurt the overall state of the game that we don't need.  Just look at the arguments that have been made for allowing it then compare it with many of the reasons people have quit over the years.  The majority of arguments for it all stem because someone has done it and gotten away with it leading others to feel justified in doing the same.  This drives players away, prevents the social nature of the game due to paranoia of getting caught, kills the competitive nature of the game, and just all around bad feelings.  Let me say this as well, anyone who feels they have achieved any sense of dominance due to cheating...guess what...you are trash and have been trash ever since you allowed ego, greed, or laziness to take precedence.  It doesn't matter what you have achieved since you cheated.  As Keila has shouted repeatedly, "STOP CHEATING".  Seek to be a better caliber of player.  For those that have not given into that desire to cheat, great job and you are the true heroes in this game.

I don't think the majority of the arguments are because others have done it at all. It seems like it's coming up more as a documented side-effect of allowing it and not so much "we want it because they do it anyway".

What of the other, valid arguments? What of us who have dominated, never cheated, and are still on the other side of the fence?

Either way the decision's been made, though I'm sure the same 20 people will be playing 6 months from now. It should really be a decision up to the players who stay around the entire wipe more than the rest of us. They feel the worst of the severe lack of players.

muddeer

• Fodder
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »
Thank god(s) for the decision!  As someone suggested earlier, when the player base becomes too small as a wipe gets old, we can implement a mercenary system.  With the codes already in place for charmies/pets, it shouldn't take that all that much extra work?