Author Topic: Quest to Join Knights of Solamnia Broken?  (Read 5828 times)

BigHoot

• Favorite Zone: Nowhere
Quest to Join Knights of Solamnia Broken?
« on: April 30, 2015, 05:54:36 PM »
I am stuck in Garret.  I can't find any way to gain access to the mayor's office in order to report in.  I'm not asking for someone to tell me what the exact keywords are.  I enjoy the puzzles.  But this one seems broken as nothing I can do seems to work.

Funko

Re: Quest to Join Knights of Solamnia Broken?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »
It's not broken, but it's offensively obscure.

BigHoot

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 01:40:51 AM »
Things I have figured out so far:
1. When you rest or sit in the secretary's office in the Garret town hall, there's a thing about waiting your turn to see the Knight.
2. When you get the quest to begin with, the Knight in Solace says that the mayor is reclusive and it can be hard to get her attention.
3. The mayor's door is always closed and locked.
4. If you listen to the Knight in Garret, he tells you a sad story about wanting to adventure again.  He also talks about his friend Frank, who is the innkeeper.
5. There is a letter on Knight's desk about his request for training facility funding being denied.  The letter recommends improved trading with the gnomes in order to pay for it.
6. There is a theiwar prisoner in the jail who will instantly agro you when you walk in.  When he dies, he gives some cryptic sort of "We'll be baaaaaaaaack..... gurgle... die" emote.

These things don't even really sound that related.  Budgets, boredom, and evil dwarves.

BigHoot

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 04:53:58 PM »
Short update:
You can get the key to the jail from the secretary's desk if you try hard enough.  But all that does is let you go kill the dwarf and see the warning.  Unless there's something else you can do with the key....

When I was there the first time, the door to the cell was unlocked, but the dwarf was alive in the cell.  So I'm wondering if there's something to do aside from killing him.

BigHoot

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »
And someone felt bad for me and helped me out.  Without giving away any real keywords or answers, let me say what the heck?  You literally have to break in to the mayor's office in order to prove your worth as a Knight?  I would bet real money that the Measure does not permit breaking into the personal office of a Knight of Solamnia to show them how awesome you are.

snax

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:59 PM »
hahaha!  You the lawful good are now convicted of unlawful breaking and entering.  You lose a level.  You have fallen from grace.  You hide your head in shame!

DCPTY1986

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:43:23 AM »
BigHoot, I believe you need to go to the garret docks, or maybe the ship and find some kind of crowbar.  That's all I can remember from this quest.

Funko

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:32:42 PM »
And someone felt bad for me and helped me out.  Without giving away any real keywords or answers, let me say what the heck?  You literally have to break in to the mayor's office in order to prove your worth as a Knight?  I would bet real money that the Measure does not permit breaking into the personal office of a Knight of Solamnia to show them how awesome you are.

Yep I had the exact same reaction when I completed that part of the quest. Well, I had two reactions.

1) Game design reaction; Attrocious. There is zero breadcrumb trail to lead you to the correct way to solve the Mayor step. The only dialogue you can produce from Garrett has nothing to do with the Paladin quest at all. I actually solved the quest Garret talks about while trying to figure out how to get into the Mayors office, which confused me to no end. Did I miss a step to tie the Mayor's office into the mix, or are the two quests just not connected at all?

I would really like to meet the person who solved this without any help from someone who already knew the answer, because I can't think of how they would've got to the right conclusion without just randomly guessing by trying every object in the zone against every other object in the zone with every keyword in the thesaurus. Does that count as a successful game mechanic these days?

2) Lore reaction; I don't remember any knighthood stories in the Dragonlance books involving petty crime. Ruining my immersion!

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 08:17:58 PM »
The quest for the mayor is very loosely tied.  the same item you need to get the banged up sword also helps you get into the mayor's office.  There's an easier way to get to old Liz, but its ever less knightly...

Funko

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 09:32:59 PM »
True, there is a very loose connection there. But my second point still stands - the correct way to solve the Knight quest isn't Knightly at all.