Author Topic: No rent vesions of limited items  (Read 2196 times)

Neyman

• Fodder
No rent vesions of limited items
« on: January 12, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »
I'll preface this by saying that, for what feels like the millionth billionth time, some questy item I tried to make "failed", presumably because someone else has the item and it is limited. The frustrating thing is ... I've never actually seen the finished item or lored it! It would be at least nice to know what the end result is, even if I cant keep it. I know knowledge is the holy grail in this game, but I feel the current system is a bit too extreme and favors too heavily people rushing who already have all the knowledge rather than the feisty explorer.

So my idea is, what if for some of these "quested" items, 3 things can happen: (a) it fails, (b) you get the item, or (c) you get a no rent version of the item. And maybe when the item limit isn't reached there is a random chance of (a), (b), or (c), but if the item limit IS reached, then only (a) and (c) can happen. The current system seems to lack the (b) no rent outcome. There can even be a special message for the case where you get the no rent version, something like

You give Ideaman, master smith of Krynn an ingot of pure gold and a glittering emerald and he proceeds to make you the shiniest ring in all the world! But as Ideaman fuses the emerald to the gold band, a slight crack develops. Ideaman hands you the finished product, a shiny emerald and gold ring of ultra shinyness, but warns you that it may not last very long.

versus the following message if you get the real item:

You give Ideaman, master smith of Krynn an ingot of pure gold and a glittering emerald and he proceeds to make you the shiniest ring in all the world! You marvel as Ideaman works the gold and masterfully fuses the emerald to the gold band. Ideaman hands you the flawless finished product, a shiny emerald and gold ring of ultra shinyness, and tells you this precious ring will last you a long time, and you will pass it down to your children.

and lets just throw in a message for total failure to make the saga of Ideaman complete:

You give Ideaman, master smith of Krynn an ingot of pure gold and a glittering emerald. But Ideaman had a bad day, made some bad bets, and now his bookie is threatening to break his legs. With a furtive glance, Ideaman pockets the gold and emerald and makes a break for it! "I got 5 kids to feed" you hear him shout in the distance. You shout, "damn you, Ideaman!" as you impotently wave your fist in the air.

You could even make the probability of the no rent item outcome low or the decay timer short to prevent people running the quest as standard prep.

Obviously this would all be fixed if I could just shout "does someone have blah blah so I can lore it", but for some of these items for a while I didnt even know what the finished product was called, so I'd actually have to shout "does someone have that item you make using blah and blah in blah blah zone so I can lore it?". And that just seems unpleasant.

Anyway guess I am done venting. Ideaman was actually very therapeutic. I really hope one day there will be a shiny emerald and gold ring of ultra shinyness. That sounds like an awesome item. And I'll probably get the version with a crack in it...

(Note: yes I know there are a few instances where this no rent version of the item exists. It would nice if this became the norm and was expanded to the other zones)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:53:24 PM by Neyman »

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: No rent vesions of limited items
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »
I admit I have the 6d6 rusty long sword from the bugbear east of Solace rented on the first few min of the wipe.

And no you cannot lore it.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
Re: No rent vesions of limited items
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:31:53 PM »
is that the offhand one or the one with the heal spec?