Author Topic: Wipe fatigue, no solid numbers but a question  (Read 5909 times)

snax

Wipe fatigue, no solid numbers but a question
« on: November 01, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »
So, I was thinking about previous wipes and the top 2 clans seemed to have around 27-30k crp iirc....

I was thinking the game tends to die around 8000 crp for the top 2 clans, and has people bounce around in spurts or with secondary chars in secondary clans until 3 more clans hit around 10,000 crp before the playerbase seems to hit the 3-18 low count.

I'ld love for some mathnerd to pluck at numbers and look for a trend, and perhaps implement changes around the lulls (seasonal?  the game tends to wipe mid fall semester to late fall semester) or other potential causes that would make the game more exciting to fatigued wipe players.... if nothing else maybe make a multi-wipe observation and see if it holds roughly steady or what not. 

If results were posted for public dissemination cool, if not, still would be nice to know it is/was an interesting thought...

thanks

blackmagus

• Zoner
Re: Wipe fatigue, no solid numbers but a question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
I agree, it isn't wipe fatigue at all but the winner takes all mentality of a good number of the clans that prevents anyone else from playing.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 12:55:46 AM »
I no longer really buy into the "winner take all" mentality as being the reason for the numbers dropping off. In the past, yes, I would definitely say that was one big factor, but these days the only real impact the dominant clan (the one who ends up with all the big shinies at the end of the day) is the eq they keep in deep rent when many of them stop playing.

There's nothing to keep other clans from playing or getting eq/spells (and repopping any decays they can), or even from dominating the remaining members of the dominant clan. It's not like there's any one clan thats staying active for an entire wipe in sufficient numbers to destroy any clan that dares rise up and threaten them.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
I no longer really buy into the "winner take all" mentality as being the reason for the numbers dropping off. In the past, yes, I would definitely say that was one big factor, but these days the only real impact the dominant clan (the one who ends up with all the big shinies at the end of the day) is the eq they keep in deep rent when many of them stop playing.

There's nothing to keep other clans from playing or getting eq/spells (and repopping any decays they can), or even from dominating the remaining members of the dominant clan. It's not like there's any one clan thats staying active for an entire wipe in sufficient numbers to destroy any clan that dares rise up and threaten them.

I quit because nothing was loading and there aren't people to contend gear. I'm not the only one either.

You can't contend 3x numbers and 24/7 playtime.

oom

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:48:49 AM »
I'm still finding lots of stuff loading to be honest.

I also agree with Brafu in that no clan really dominates all wipe. It's an ebb and flow... lots of stuff still loading by the way.

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:59:22 AM »
I'm still finding lots of stuff loading to be honest.

I also agree with Brafu in that no clan really dominates all wipe. It's an ebb and flow... lots of crap still loading by the way.

Last wipe wasalmost identical to this one. This one's just one step further. The only reason rise didn't stay on top was that they got deleted.

When there's nothing left to do you have two options:
1. Quit
2. Someone forces you to quit

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 10:59:50 AM »
@Corey

I guess when you want the exact same items that the dominant clan has, it could be frustrating.

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
@Corey

I guess when you want the exact same items that the dominant clan has, it could be frustrating.

You keep using the word dominant and it's not wrong, but it's more extreme than that. It's basically NATO vs Kazakhstan.

But yea when the only reason you play is to grab the exact set you want and there's absolutely no way to pry it off other people because, you bet people will quit :)

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »
I don't play for equipment or spells. I play for the new content (class stuff) and challenge of learning new zones. And since Sanjuro is the only one putting out good new content then if he doesn't put in anything the game is boring. A zone like Blood Shoal is probably over the top: requires waaay too much of a time commitment from 8-10 people to do the whole thing and learning it from scratch I think took me weeks upon weeks of nearly every day a few hours going into it, but areas like Dargaard Keep, Sahuagin, Dargonesti, (hell even the mage quests) are all fun to learn and have interesting fights.

Pvp is broken and has been for several wipes so I think it's a waste of time. Legendary broke the game for pvp. And if you were part of the first group to rush and do all the high level zones before others then you are rank 24+ and everyone else that followed the same exact zone path but did it second is maybe rank 10-15. Something is wrong with that type of system.

Kafilat

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
Beginning of wipe ranking definitely needs to be addressed.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
Corey - Don't worry, Hoss has put an end to RISE.  However, even though RISE won't load the gear day 1-4 next wipe, I'm sure a different clan will.  Someone will always come out on top for those first few days. 

I saw the latest Hunger Games and it is very apparent that Hoss is President Snow and RISE is district 12.  Oh well, what can you do.  Killing innocent men, women, and children.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
Beginning of wipe ranking is what makes the wipe so much fun!  Its a race to be the first to do a zone.  If you can't be the first to run drac tower or dko or one of the other spammed early wipe zones then you need to be more creative and look for the zones no one is doing.

Complaining about early wipe ranking is like complaining that the queen chess piece is too powerful - its part of the game: learn to use it to your advantage.
OR
get 4 friends, get a game plan on wipe day, call in sick and warn your wife+family that you will be glued to the keyboard for 3 days.  Load up on Mountain Dew and Skittles and win!