Author Topic: bonus for consecutive login  (Read 6609 times)

gulca

• Zone Leader
bonus for consecutive login
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
To promote people staying around the game everyday, do the following:

Consecutive login bonus
1. Day 1: 10%+ xp
2. Day 2: 20%+ xp
3. Day 3: 30%+ xp
4. Day 4: 40%+ xp
5. Day 5: 50%+ xp
6. Day 6: 50%+xp & 10%+ rank
7. Day 7: 50%+ xp & 20%+ rank
8. Day 8: 50%+ xp & 30%+ rank
9. Day 9: 50%+ xp & 40%+ rank
10. Day 10 and up: 50%+ xp & rank

If you miss a day from not login, you lose the bonus and start back at 0.

This idea is from PS3 GT6 where if you login 5 consecutive day, all race rewards are at 100%+ bonus.

Brafu

• Zoner
Re: bonus for consecutive login
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:08:27 AM »
Make a character, roll til you get what you want, then log in for half a second, rent, and then repeat for 10 days. On day 10 you spend half the time it would normally take to 1x and get massive ranks.

Not sure how this would actually promote someone actually doing anything more than just logging in once a day, let alone playing after they do. People who want to play will play, it's a game, not work.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »
i'm with brafu. not that i'm advocating any bonuses, but if i were it would be a short bonus after extended absence rather than for those going full nerd mode

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »
Actually, if you think about it, this would make it rather dumb for anyone to actually play before the full bonus was in effect. Why would anyone play before they could get a massive boost to xp and ranks?

I know that many of my friends and I would definitely wait until we could get the full effect of the boost before we did more than roll our characters. It just makes sense.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »
Actually, if you think about it, this would make it rather dumb for anyone to actually play before the full bonus was in effect. Why would anyone play before they could get a massive boost to xp and ranks?

I know that many of my friends and I would definitely wait until we could get the full effect of the boost before we did more than roll our characters. It just makes sense.

Are you saying at wipe time, you will wait 11 days at level 1 before you start xp and ranking?

Some group would have legend, pop all the goodies, fought a few battles and rage quit at day 11.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 12:01:14 PM »
Don't try to confuse wipe rush with long term player retention. Anyone who's serious about playing this game will wipe rush regardless, unless real life gets in the way.

Your idea isn't about wipe rush, but about keeping people playing daily after the initial rush has ended, and a wipe starts to slip into low gear for the long haul. But your idea would be used to benefit a wipe rush anyway... if it was in play I would wipe rush, but also roll a char on the side that would become my main and then just log it for a moment each day until I could get the max bonus.

Once that happened I would toss all of the eq I had to it and lvl/rank like a mad man (and so would my friends), then use these new, real, characters to blast our enemies with a big knockout punch from no where. And I doubt we would be the only ones to think along those same lines (and not just for the rush, but for the entire wipe).

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
Now I'm confused. You like the idea? Or not?

I think this idea (not mine, GT6) tries to tackle a couple of glaring problems:

1. Grinding. Anyone played Gran Turismo knows its a huge grind to win races and buy all the cars in the game so you can put it in your garage. A reboot (new game) puts a player back to starting credit of 20,000 and basically 0 cars.

Having this "bonus" gives a wink back to die-hard supporters. I see a similarity to Arctic in this aspect. Note they took away the bonus (and all support) for GT5. So this bonus is not built in and is not forever.

2. Constant daily login. More of a marketing gimmick but sometimes it works. You make an effort to log in (and off) every day to keep this bonus. Who knows, maybe a 5 sec thing might turn into 15 min of play per day for some days. Arctic will see a higher percent of players log on. Sony gets users to log onto their PSN and bombard them with advertisements.

It is a momentum builder. It works on me for GT6. I make an effort to start my PS3 every night to keep the X2 bonus and win some races while I'm there. I get 140k credits instead of 70k per win and having more than a couple of million+ cars in the garage isn't that much of a nightmare with this bonus.

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »
I think there is a dark side to this. Given that it is very easy to even log on for 1 tic to keep the bonus alive, under what circumstance would someone NOT log in? Well if something really bad happened in their life for example. So imagine your kid is sick, or you are forced to work super overtime cuz your boss is an ass. Or your flight was canceled and you spent the night in some crappy motel with no internet. Oh and now on top of this, you just lost your bonus on your favorite MUD because you werent able to log in. And now you are so depressed that you decide whats the point of logging back in and trying to rebuild your bonus. And this frustration and sadness turns you into ... Coriandor. Har har har anyway ok sorry that was mean but irresistible given all the Coriandor posts!

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »
No, I don't like the idea. I was pointing out exactly how I would game such a bonus system to my benefit, while totally disregarding it's intended goal.

People who want to play, will play. The game shouldn't have to pay (a log on bonus in this instance) people to play, or give them some incentive to play every day. The game itself should be enough to do that, and if it's not then the game itself needs to adapt.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 05:56:43 PM »
so make a minimum log time for the bonus: you have to play 1 hour to get the bonus each day and it resets if you play less than that.  The grinders won't care and if someone wants to inn sit for an hour each day and socialize...well isn't that arctic anyway?

If you have a good rank run and you want to maximize your time you already know there is a powerful incentive NOT to log every day.  Hell, I have a rank 33 thief with 7 days of play time as proof of that, why not create an incentive to log each day and run at least a little bit? 

Of course I would wait to initiate it until the first 3 weeks of the wipe were over - no one needs an unfair advantage during the race!

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »
I could easily log for an hour each day, checking on it every 4 or 5 min, while I do other things... like playing another game.

I'm not, necessarily, saying that a bonus incentive for playing regularly is inherently a bad idea, just that I'm not sure it would really add much to the game, or make a difference.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »
There is a synergy to the who list.
If you log and 2 people are online you tend to think "Why bother?"

If you log and 30 people are online, even if they are all innsitting, you at least operate under the illusion that something fun is happening.

Very little is as sad as going to the website and seeing that there are 0 visible players online.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 06:09:37 PM »
I dont know... when I see there's only a couple people on I tend to think "Hey, all of the good xp/rank zones should be all mine, and I can check a lot of eq.". I tend to see the benefit to having a full mud, and a empty one, since I just want to play and I don't need to come up with reasons that might make me not want to play.

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 10:38:17 AM »
I don't know what you all are talking about with player count.

Arctic is a single person game made for my amusement when I get bored of D3 HC.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LagDeath-1525/hero/53703024

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
I don't know what you all are talking about with player count.

Arctic is a single person game made for my amusement when I get bored of D3 HC.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LagDeath-1525/hero/53703024

only p142?

i lost my character a few weeks ago but i've been playing dota pretty hard: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/rottenpotato-1357/hero/53500387

that's my most geared piece of dump, but like i said i stopped
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:25:30 AM by corey »