Author Topic: As you start to become familiar with Arctic  (Read 8143 times)

Atlas

As you start to become familiar with Arctic
« on: September 27, 2014, 11:35:34 PM »
I thought this would be a good little guide to learning Arctic not quite as a newbie per say but as a mid level player that's comfortable getting from point A to point B and is in the process of learning a zone or two.  Being prepared is one of the fundamental keys to success when learning (and you're always learning) to play Arctic.  Feel free to add to this list/guide.

Arctic Survival Guide

A fly item back in the day was pretty sweet and a sought after item.  Players were often killed for them.  This was before ranks and fly potions.  It's still handy to have if you can find them.  Anyone see that chicken!!!

Confound it!  I can't see a thing, damn kender!  Have you ever gone down the road and forgot your lantern, your wrist lantern is out of oil, or a kender swiped your last torch?  Finding a continual light source and cursing it can be a handy item in your belt pouch.

An autoinvis can be pretty handy when exploring in a new area.  Sometimes it can save your life.  Sure you can buy wands but that gets expensive fast.

A big drink container.  Wandering the Plains of Dust in circles following vultures overhead can be thirsty work.  Don't get caught with just a sip left in your last waterskin.

Quality food that lasts awhile, find a food source that sticks around.  The never ending roll of bologna was a great item until it was removed from the game because of balance issues.

A quality worn container is a godsend.  This is a luxury item that allows you to carry all your tools of the trade and then have lots of room for your booty.  Tip:  Worn containers can't be stolen.  Neither can cursed containers in your inventory.  I once came across a poor greasy looking boy one day on one of my day trips in the middle of nowhere oddly enough.  He looked like he had seen better days.  I went to give him a ham but I think a kender stole it.  Come to think of it all my steel coins too!  Damn kender!  I apologized to the lad and went on my way.  I later got in a fight with a goblin and couldn't find my axe.  That was a rough day.

Carry a hammer.  Even if you're one of those higher than though magic user types.  You never know when you'll come across one of those despicable draconian minions.  Having to wait several hours to get your <feces encrusted sword of smearing> is annoying.

Before going out and about buy some remove poison and cure blindness potions oh a remove curse potion is handy too!  They can be a life saver... literally. *Shiver*  *blinks like a barn owl*

Carry more than one weapon.  This should be common sense but I've been with some so called veterans that had their weapon of choice decay at some very inopportune times.

A seeinvis item can be very handy in not only discovering hidden things and items but can be pretty helpful as well.  Yes there are potions but that again can be inconvenient.

You see the corpse of Kyst laying here.
A shortsword of Ouchie <invisible>

That's a start.  What do you consider a need versus want as a player learning the ropes?

Atlas.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:32:33 AM by Atlas »

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: As you start to become familiar with Arctic
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
First thing I usually do when I start a zone is to secure recup room and mem room. This would speed up clearing a zone much faster.

I wouldn't use the term continual light source. I prefer the term magic light source. These don't run out of light regardless of how long you use it (they do decay though). A ball of light is one example. Some even have other bonuses like fly or +str or wb. Added bonus to magical light is that they don't fail when you go underwater. Some held items can become permanent light if you have someone cast 'light' spell on them.

One thing that most newbies miss out is the solace newbie guide. Bring one to the altar in Solace (east up from square) and see what he says. You'll find that it is helpful when you need to remove poison or cure blind or remove any curse items.

And talking about blindness, there are recall potions that doesn't require you to see to use it. Quaff one and run blind to the altar to cure your blindness.

Personally, I need to have the following before even consider lvling and xping (solo) beyond lvl 10.
1. A large chest.
2. Some sort of large aid kit.
3. Rations (food and drink that doesn't go stale and lasts)
4. Detect invis. (det life is also recommended but not vital).
5. Auto invis item.
6. A prime with high hitroll.
7. Some sort of autofly item or enough rank/coins to buy fly/wb rank. I perfer starting using newbie option to get the Solace guide to fly me sub lvl 19.
8. Someone age/haste me to at least 35 years old to get move/hp regen rate per tick.
9. Some +hitroll eq.
10. Glowing recalls in chest. Normal recalls in inventory.
11. Remove curse and poison potions. (otherwise I'll just recall back to Solace)

Good to have
12. true seeing rank
13. heal potions (non rentable and rentable ones)
14. strength and blur potions/wands
15. word of recall potions
16. auto hide eq
17. Tons of -AC armors (enchanted leathers) to fill up empty slots
18. Water breathe eq
19. Component pouch (to carry components and sell to shops for coins).
20. Some sort of no charm/summon.
21. Nightvision (rank or eq).
22. refresh potions.
23. +learn ranks for skilling and learning books.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
8. Someone age/haste me to at least 35 years old to get move/hp regen rate per tick.

I hate that you basically are forced to do this in order to make your life easier.

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »

Glowing recalls in chest (you need extra pulse to get it from chest so it means you will recive extra bash) will most likely kill you in pk situation. If you are thief/scout and cant use glowing recalls you have to had recall potions to recall from pkillers.

True seeing rank is the must for warrior-type becouse of immune_blind attached to it (and blind is the most annoing affect in the game, lasts quite long and v.painful). For cleric i would strongly recommend mindshield - also it would make you aware to attempts to find you by pkillers.

Nocharm is must for tank (you can use easy frag crappy one for selected fights, storing it in you chest while doing most of fights).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:26:58 AM by Loretta »

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »

Glowing recalls in chest (you need extra pulse to get it from chest so it means you will recive extra bash) will most likely kill you in pk situation. If you are thief/scout and cant use glowing recalls you have to had recall potions to recall from pkillers.

True seeing rank is the must for warrior-type becouse of immune_blind attached to it (and blind is the most annoing affect in the game, lasts quite long and v.painful). For cleric i would strongly recommend mindshield - also it would make you aware to attempts to find you by pkillers.

Nocharm is must for tank (you can use easy frag crappy one for selected fights, storing it in you chest while doing most of fights).

I actually didn't know true seeing is imm blind.

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:59:54 AM »
8      Eyes of Steel          0/1  6  32000 TRUE_SEEING IMMUNE_BLINDNESS 

Atlas

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »
As far as ranks go, this post was more or less for the newbie who was just starting to open his/her eyes to the mud outside of the city.  Learning to explore etc.  Not so much as a veteran player.  Not sure how much coin someone like that could put together to get all those ranks right off the bat.  That being said I did know of a person that had amassed a small fortune doing Brog Village hah!

Atlas

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:41:14 PM »
8      Eyes of Steel          0/1  6  32000 TRUE_SEEING IMMUNE_BLINDNESS

oh i'm stupid, i misread you say "true_seeing RANK", thought you said true_seeing

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »
As far as ranks go, this post was more or less for the newbie who was just starting to open his/her eyes to the mud outside of the city.  Learning to explore etc.  Not so much as a veteran player.  Not sure how much coin someone like that could put together to get all those ranks right off the bat.  That being said I did know of a person that had amassed a small fortune doing Brog Village hah!

Atlas

First thing, you don't have to sign your posts as 'Atlas', you posted it as Atlas, it's redundant. Secondly, you get ranks from level 1 to 30 now, so it's relevant information. You can get enough coin to pay for can_fly or det invis ranks by the time you hit level 20.

3      Peekaboo               0/1  2   4000 DETECT_INVISIBLE SENSE_LIFE
4      Surf and Soar          0/1  3   8000 WATERBREATH CAN_FLY

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »

You are basically quoting the person you are arguing from a few months back.  Gulca once argued about the extra pulse for getting a recall from a chest.

When you play a thief though.. it is worth the pulse.  Never hindered me much.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
I always keep my recalls in a container, and it's only killed me twice in over a decade =P