Author Topic: Number of Conclave tests  (Read 5962 times)

Neyman

• Fodder
Number of Conclave tests
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
Does anyone know many unique conclave tests there are? I like doing these when I get bored since they are fun little puzzles. I've done 26 different ones so far, but I'm not seeing any new tests anymore. Just curious if I should keep doing it in hopes of trying to come across new ones or if I've done them all.

On a different note, it would be kinda fun if "making a conclave test" was actually part of the game. Maybe something like if you become a legend mage you can make a conclave test (of course, under the approval and supervision of the staff). Anyway, would be an easy and fun way to get people exposed to creation and also add more conclave test puzzles!

walters

Re: Number of Conclave tests
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:03:50 AM »
They do not just let anyone write zones.  If so you would end up with half thought out ideas.  If you are interested in helping with something like that in the game I would suggest you apply for immortal needing to be lvl 30 rank 10 i believe is minimum requirement for this.  Also I wouldn't openly talk down about any zone for any reason it takes a hell of a lot to actually write out the whole thing just because you only see 20 words their is about 200 lines of text/coding that are written for it. Take time to play through everything in the game get into groups instead of running mage quests over and over.   

-matt-

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
Hmmm well I didnt think I was "talking down" the Conclave tests ... if anything I feel like I'm one of the few people who seems to really enjoy them rather than see them as a roadblock on the race to get to lvl 30. I'm not trying to say it would be easy to make a Conclave test ... just that it would be fun :)

As for playing through everything in the game and getting into groups etc, I think I am pretty saturated at this point. Somehow, the drive to figure out one more zone, get one more rank, sort of faded. Really just waiting for a wipe now to reinvigorate the the excitement, though maybe I will come back after a break of a few weeks.

snax

Re: Talking Down a Zone
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »
They do not just let anyone write zones.  If so you would end up with half thought out ideas.  If you are interested in helping with something like that in the game I would suggest you apply for immortal needing to be lvl 30 rank 10 i believe is minimum requirement for this.  Also I wouldn't openly talk down about any zone for any reason it takes a hell of a lot to actually write out the whole thing just because you only see 20 words their is about 200 lines of text/coding that are written for it. Take time to play through everything in the game get into groups instead of running mage quests over and over.   

-matt-

Oh but you can argue that Wastelands and More wastelands and Even more wastelands of krynn are worthy of talking down to.  Not every zone is a good one, and sometimes something lurks around well past it's expiration date like a brown head of lettuce in the fridge, in the hopes it can still be used until something better replaces it.  Agreed they take a lot of time to make a zone, but just because time = huge doesn't mean quality > crap.  Although aristox has culled almost all the crap zones.  Anyways, just trolling between studying =P hi matt!

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
Re: Talking Down a Zone
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »
Agreed they take a lot of time to make a zone, but just because time = huge doesn't mean quality > crap.  Although aristox has culled almost all the crap zones.

Bring back Sin'goth!

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »
making a zone is 90% writing descriptions. the sheer volume of writing is way bigger than most people comprehend.

consider this. every room has a description, every object, every mobile, every exit on scan and then there are descriptions on things in room to look at as well.

i pulled one random mob/room/obj from an area i'd made and their descriptions word count averaged out to about 80 (my descs are probably longer than the standard though)

that means that before scan exits and extra descriptions, a standard sized zone would have approximately 24000 words in descriptions - that's longer than a post-graduate dissertation.

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »
a standard sized zone would have approximately 24000 words in descriptions - that's longer than a post-graduate dissertation.
... begs the question ... what takes longer, writing PhD thesis or a zone? Or even more important, which one is more enjoyable? Har har har :)

Anyway, any thoughts on the number of conclave tests? Lets not devolve this into conversation about "my zone descriptions are longer than your zone descriptions"

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »
that wasn't my intent, i was only pointing out that making a zone takes a lot of time and effort.

i like the conclave quests, i think they're challenging but not overly difficult once you understand that you need to think laterally. there's a lot of them, but that keeps it interesting!

i personally at one stage made a magic-user and would just do the conclave test until then end, then quit out and go back to do it again because i enjoyed solving them :)

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
i personally at one stage made a magic-user and would just do the conclave test until then end, then quit out and go back to do it again because i enjoyed solving them :)
Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing :)