Author Topic: Spellcraft  (Read 3376 times)

Neyman

• Fodder
Spellcraft
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »
I have a wonderful, great, amazing new idea. What if once you are at superb spellcraft. using a comp to cast never fails?

I know, preposterous. But think about it. The point of spellcraft is to give me that extra boost I need in a tough fight. So I save and hoard my precious components, and then finally I get to a hard fight ... I turn spellcraft to high, ready for action .... I hit "rend" ... and then I see the dreaded words:

You scream in pain and drop to your knees as you fail to control the magic!

And thats it. Insta death. Cuz it's a hard fight, and now I am disoriented so long that I'm a goner. Doomed. And it was just a mid level comp too!

Ok obviously I just died because I used a comp and it failed, and now I am super grumpy. Maybe my dex wasn't sufficiently maxed like everyone elses. I don't know. But I do know that I won't use comps ever again in a hard fight ... losing and flee/recalling is still better than insta death from a failed spellcraft. And that's really a shame: I used to think this whole spell components, brew, scribe, spellcraft thing was realy cool, but the more and more I try to use it the more frustrated I get. So here are some more suggestions:

- Make spell comps weigh zero. Im carrying around tons of them since I need lots of different ones to scribe/brew interesting spells, but then I can barely move without casting strength on myself.
- Brewed potions and scribed scrolls should not have a garbled label. Yes, I made subs for all these already, but this just makes brew/scribe harder to use. The point of brewing a potion is some a non mage can use it. But if they cant read it, it becomes too much of a hassle.

Am I just using spellcraft/brew/scribe wrong? Or are others also finding these aspects frustrating?

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Re: Spellcraft
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
i would suggest training your spellcraft in non-dangerous situations before using it in fights, or else it can cause more harm than good (as you found)

personally i've never been the biggest fan of brew/scribe, it's just so damn hard to make anything useful. it's tricky though, because if making potions out of powerful spells was easy it would create balance issues.

as for the garbled labels i always thought that was fairly stupid. logically if i can brew a potion of strength, i can also write the word strength on it. i have no reason to label it with "magespeak" or whatever the term for the casting mumbo jumbo is, if i wanted the contents to be a mystery i wouldn't put a label on the bottle.

that's my opinion anyway

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
I think there are some reasonable ideas here...components should be weight 0...they take up space in containers as it is, so there's already a vehicle in place to limit the amount anyone is carrying.

I also agree that putting all your eggs in the spellcraft basket for a big fight is dangerous.  Save spellcraft for fights you normally win but take time, and get a buddy for the fights you feel you might not win.  Having a tank makes spellcraft more successful, at least that's MY interpretation.  Any time you are maining and casting there's a good chance things are not going to go according to plan.

snax

Re: Weight 0 components
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
I think there are some reasonable ideas here...components should be weight 0...they take up space in containers as it is, so there's already a vehicle in place to limit the amount anyone is carrying.

I also agree that putting all your eggs in the spellcraft basket for a big fight is dangerous.  Save spellcraft for fights you normally win but take time, and get a buddy for the fights you feel you might not win.  Having a tank makes spellcraft more successful, at least that's MY interpretation.  Any time you are maining and casting there's a good chance things are not going to go according to plan.

Actually the weight 0 components take up no space.  You can put 50,000 of them in a pouch if you want to jack your rent up that badly, or at least several of the weight 0's afaik, but that's an anecdotal observation and is not based on any incidental knowledge.  I just know given a choice between two same tier components that are both shop sold I tend to pick the one i can throw a few hundred of in a pouch (for stuff like fold space etc)

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:36:03 AM »
+1 for Normal Labels on the bottles. That annoys me a lot.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
+1 for Normal Labels on the bottles. That annoys me a lot.

Xz oai'u jgz waoz raiojaoz?

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the garbled labels. Here are some other thoughts:

- You can sell brewed potions or scribed scrolls to shops, and then on list they come up as:

1. a brewed strength potion             500 coins
     2. a scribed black rune scroll         2000 coins

This way these scribed and brewed items can be purchased as prep by other players. So for example a black rune scroll could cost 2k lets say. Not something you get all the time, but there when you really need it.

- Even more fun would be if players got to "rent space" at the shop to display their scrolls/potions, set the prices, and see if anyone buys. So say renting space to display a scroll is 1k, and then you charge a 500 coins markup. So Bob the Dark Knight could stop by Solace, go to the shop, and see

1. a silence scroll, scribed by Neyman      1500 coins
     2. a silence scroll, scribed by Cheapo      1300 coins

And so we see get a kind of market for scribed/brewed items as prep! The "rent" would establish a price floor as well so that nice prep items like ams scrolls couldn't be had too cheaply. Plus the branding is nice :)

- Right now you can sell scribed/brewed to shops. I initially thought that my fancy acid mist scroll would make me some big bucks: after all I could have just sold the comps themselves for at least 500 I bet. But the cheapo at the shop only gave me 42 coins for my beautiful scroll! So what about a kind of "added value" mechanism, so that a complex scribed spell actually can make you some decent coins?

Anyway just some thoughts.