Author Topic: Rank System  (Read 7474 times)

Myte

• Fodder
Rank System
« on: August 15, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »
I was sitting around thinking about what really bothers me the most about pwipes. On one hand I really enjoy people coming back to race, and the thrill of doing things first etc. On the other hand, I hate losing my TIME. Equipment can easily be replaced in a short period of time, but ranks are what you really can't replace without tons of time. I think to foster an environment on the mud of short wipes, racing, and teamwork, a change to the rank system should be made. I really thought about it and it's probably the only thing I will regret losing at wipe, it's 80% of the playtime invested on my character.

Proposed change: Keep the system exactly the same as it is now, for the most part, but instead of rank % building up on a mob over time/lack of being killed, it should go back to the old system which was player based. Kill a rank mob once for max %, then continue to new mobs until you rank. If you kill the same mob in a rank you will get the lowest %xp as you do now.

I think this will speed up ranks allowing casual players to get back into the game quickly and make up for lost time. It rewards game knowledge if you know more rank mobs than others, and it will encourage people to do harder or lesser done zones.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:06:00 PM by Myte »

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
Re: Rank System
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »
It rewards game knowledge if you know more rank mobs than others, and it will encourage people to do harder or lesser done zones.

While I am not going to comment on your system change one way or another just yet (waiting for others to respond), I think the last sentence of it is already accomplished by the current system.  So it is not an advantage of your idea, but a similarity to the current.

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
It rewards game knowledge if you know more rank mobs than others, and it will encourage people to do harder or lesser done zones.

While I am not going to comment on your system change one way or another just yet (waiting for others to respond), I think the last sentence of it is already accomplished by the current system.  So it is not an advantage of your idea, but a similarity to the current.

I didn't really think about it that way until you quoted it but I see what you mean. I think it's just a bummer when you go to do a rank run and every zone you hit has been done and all the kills net 0.01% because someone beat you to it 3 hours prior. It's a huge buzz kill. At that point, zone or mob knowledge doesn't help you because someone else knows the same thing.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:52:27 PM »
I don't really have much of a comment about this. I don't like ranks period.

I like the idea of them but I hate how they're basically the difference between a level 30 character and what seems like the strength of a level 90 character sometimes.

A tiny bit off topic... WHEN it wipes can you please do a fresh "kill all rank mobs" with some sort of purge to ensure that the first people to kill those mobs aren't infinitely stronger than the next people in line? The gear gap of those who get "the rush" items is great enough already. Adding the rank gap that happened last wipe (I think the wipe before as well?) made it infinitely harder for whoever was next in line to catch up and challenge them.

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »

I like the idea of them but I hate how they're basically the difference between a level 30 character and what seems like the strength of a level 90 character sometimes.

A tiny bit off topic... WHEN it wipes can you please do a fresh "kill all rank mobs" with some sort of purge to ensure that the first people to kill those mobs aren't infinitely stronger than the next people in line? The gear gap of those who get "the rush" items is great enough already. Adding the rank gap that happened last wipe (I think the wipe before as well?) made it infinitely harder for whoever was next in line to catch up and challenge them.

Corey, I think my proposed change also addresses that and makes it not an issue since everyone would be on equal footing for ranks.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »

I don't like ranks period.

I don't like ranks

Enough said.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »
while i do not know if it is either good or bad, the current system to me is a lot like a treasure hunt.

basically you run around, finding all the most obscure unique mobs / obscure areas with unique mobs that you can, to see if they're holding the little pots of gold (big ranks from not dying recently). sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

this isn't necessarily bad, keep in mind. it promotes people to do a much wider variety of content that probably would never get killed otherwise. before the changes probably the most killed zone in the entire game was lemish, which was basically dying every repop. at least now poor old lord atin gets a break from being murdered every once and a while.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
As someone who has spent a LOT of time trying to learn the zones that no one ever does I can tell you that the current rank system is good because it makes zones such as lemuria and fyzian underground viable zones again.

Seriously, how many times can people run DKO and Lemish?  Apparently the number is limitless.  Type help area, find something you've never done before and do it.  The ranks there are better than either of the aforementioned zones.

There are zones for gear, zones for xp and zones for rank...rare indeed is the zone that is all 3, cuz it would be spammed to death

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »
I hate dynamic ranks for the same reason as OP. There are a few power rankers in the game, and when they are around, most of the ranks would be taken. Not fun running around trying to search for ranks that gives more than 0.01%.

The static rank is a good system. You kill a mob once to get the full rank for that level. The next time you kill it (at the same rank), it's value drops by half and so on. This prevents you from spamming the same mobs for the same rank level.

So easy fix is to switch all rank mobs to static rank mobs and adjust their values according to their toughness. Easy mobs (low level or easy to access, non aggro) would have lower rp than hard mobs (hard to access, in groups, yellers, hidden, end mobs).

Another idea is to make the dynamic mobs give a random generated ranks. Instead of a slow build up whenever it is killed, you get a roll from min to max. Of course this would mean a scale back on the max rp a dynamic mob would give.

The main point here is to remove as much "dead" time from the game play as much as possible. I know I won't be wasting time running zones whenever I log on.

I know in the past, whenever I see solo power rankers on, I would just idle or log off for a few days. Yes, I'm pointing at you people like Sart, Alecto, mudder etc.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »

I really like this idea.

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 04:30:46 AM »
I hate dynamic ranks for the same reason as OP. There are a few power rankers in the game, and when they are around, most of the ranks would be taken. Not fun running around trying to search for ranks that gives more than 0.01%.

The static rank is a good system. You kill a mob once to get the full rank for that level. The next time you kill it (at the same rank), it's value drops by half and so on. This prevents you from spamming the same mobs for the same rank level.

So easy fix is to switch all rank mobs to static rank mobs and adjust their values according to their toughness. Easy mobs (low level or easy to access, non aggro) would have lower rp than hard mobs (hard to access, in groups, yellers, hidden, end mobs).

Another idea is to make the dynamic mobs give a random generated ranks. Instead of a slow build up whenever it is killed, you get a roll from min to max. Of course this would mean a scale back on the max rp a dynamic mob would give.

The main point here is to remove as much "dead" time from the game play as much as possible. I know I won't be wasting time running zones whenever I log on.

I know in the past, whenever I see solo power rankers on, I would just idle or log off for a few days. Yes, I'm pointing at you people like Sart, Alecto, mudder etc.

Exactly. Log on, check 1 or 2 zones, they're maxxed already... baptit. What's the point in spending 2 hours trying to find 1 zone with 2 mobs worth .3% each at this level? It's nonsense.

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »
To further Corey's point.. I would say just switch it back to needing 1X to amass ranks.

Everyone having auto fly, det invis, whatever else they want 5 hours into the wipe completely kills a lot of the mud content.  Not to mention, that it speeds up rush. 

Most people love the rush; why not let it last longer.  Make the auto fly items and det invis rings have some value again at the start of the wipe.  First legend would be twice the amount of time as current.. and those initial loads would require some skill again.

Late wipe who cares really.. I have most of the content aliased out anyway.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
I have to agree with the notion of being able to rank at low levels having a negative impact upon the game in terms of making a lot of utility items pointless. But I would rather see the requirement be lvl 30 instead of 1x simply because of the increased xp needed just to get to rank 30.

Perhaps allow people to rank, but not be able to actually purchase ranks unless they are lvl 30? It would still let people gain ranks as they lvl, but it wouldn't ruin the whole point of having all of the utility items in the game.

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 04:04:36 AM »
Why does it matter? Everyone will get there at the same time, and everyone WILL get there eventually. Why make the pain last 5 days longer? You're complaining about 2-5 days of time. It simply doesn't matter. I had 4rp when I hit 30. 5 days later I was rank 30. Who cares. It really doesn't make that much of a difference. I think it's fun to rank early. I thought we were trying to put an emphasis on more disposable characters? Everyone wants to wipe so goddamn bad so often, why would you put MORE value on playtime now? Make up your minds because it's kind of ridiculous. These ideas really conflict with each other.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:31 AM »
Why does it matter? Everyone will get there at the same time, and everyone WILL get there eventually. Why make the pain last 5 days longer? You're complaining about 2-5 days of time. It simply doesn't matter. I had 4rp when I hit 30. 5 days later I was rank 30. Who cares. It really doesn't make that much of a difference. I think it's fun to rank early. I thought we were trying to put an emphasis on more disposable characters? Everyone wants to wipe so goddamn bad so often, why would you put MORE value on playtime now? Make up your minds because it's kind of ridiculous. These ideas really conflict with each other.

Early in the wipe it makes a huge, huge difference. The group that gets up there second is left with scraps. It's awful for whoever that might be.