Poll

Do you want Arctic to wipe again (8 months since previous wipe) before Lube?

Yes - Look how many votes September got!  Give us some news.... plz!
Yes - September would be best for me
Yes - October would be best for me
Yes - November would be best for me
Yes - December would be best for me
Yes - Rise should disband

Author Topic: Never The Best Time To Ask Part II  (Read 15822 times)

reed23

• Zone Leader
Never The Best Time To Ask Part II
« on: August 14, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
To see results, you must V O T E.  I VOTED stickers will be mailed out.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Re: Never The Best Time To Ask Part II
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
I'll be back at WoW hard Nov. 13. I really hope it happens far before then to get a good couple of months in.

Kronos

PWIPE
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:12:31 PM »
PWIPE:A soonish pwipe is whats best for the game and for LUBE. If our hosts really believe that Lube could be implemented sometime in the next 6-8 months, then it is necessary to pwipe as soon as possible to allow for a full wipe before the changes come. Also, it will allow time for FULL beta testing. One of the most important parts of any development cycle is the testing/balancing. Take a page from Blizzard, a game should launch when it's ready and fully tested. A full wipe will allow for proper testing to make sure that the game is as balanced as possible before launch.

Beyond Lube, look around. One clan owns almost all (or literally all) of the top 50 items, and most of the damage. Lets bring back the player base and get some momentum going into the next stage of arctic development.

My vote is for weekend of September 27th or first week in October. No doubt many of our players play WOW. If you wait and wipe in early November, many will not come back. Obviously, after Nov we are into the holiday season and won't be able to pwipe till mid january. Now is best and it is what a LOT of people want.

What is your character's name? Start

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
I don't think it should wipe at all. You guys are going to come back for 8 weeks and quit again, meanwhile the rest of us will be stuck making up for that lost time.

Edit: I'm also about to transfer to Japan in a few weeks so if it wipes I likely will not be able to put in any time, nor will I want to. The MUD is in a pretty good state right now. Pretty much everyone on has tons of eq, zones, and has no issues. I don't see any reason to upset the balance. You wanna play and get some gear? Log on and do it, nobody's stopping you, what's the problem? I think you guys need to stick to LoL and DOTA2, because you want to play arctic like that's what it is, and it really shouldn't be. Go play those games where you can have a fresh 'pwipe' every game you start, and then play til you win.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:12:41 PM by Myte »

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
@Myte

We see things differently. I love a new wipe after the last has had time age and everyone had their full (or had the chance if they wanted).

I can make legendary after legendary and get all the eq in the world, but it doesn't matter if people don't give a damn about any of it or if they have already had the eq 10 times and decided to just let it decay and not bother repopping it. It gets stale and boring after awhile, especially when a lot of people stop playing and you are king of the hill only because no one else is around.

I like the competition in the game, and right now the only competition seems to be who can get the most legendary's before it wipes.

It's like... how many times can you run the same zones before you realize it's all pointless because all you are doing is maintaining what you have had for month's?

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »
Looks like I just got HOSS'D in the Poll :(

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
@Myte

We see things differently. I love a new wipe after the last has had time age and everyone had their full (or had the chance if they wanted).

I can make legendary after legendary and get all the eq in the world, but it doesn't matter if people don't give a damn about any of it or if they have already had the eq 10 times and decided to just let it decay and not bother repopping it. It gets stale and boring after awhile, especially when a lot of people stop playing and you are king of the hill only because no one else is around.

I like the competition in the game, and right now the only competition seems to be who can get the most legendary's before it wipes.

It's like... how many times can you run the same zones before you realize it's all pointless because all you are doing is maintaining what you have had for month's?

But I haven't had it all, I'd like to be max rank so I've still got that going for me. I have always played barbs and I had Rath this wipe which I rolled about 3-4 weeks in. I didn't race because I had work shit going on. Rath is rank 29 Barb. I took a break for a little while again because of work. I came back and rolled a DK for fun because I've never had a level 30 DK. Well, now it's rank 30 and I'm probably never going to play a barb ever again. Extended wipes afford some opportunities that racing doesn't permit, at least for people like me. I'm having a great time right now, and I'm looking forward to picking up another 10 ranks or so if I can. So everyone has different motivations to play, how do you fix that? You run two servers is how you fix that, but the staff doesn't want to probably.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:51:33 PM by Myte »

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »
no charlie, we want the mud to wipe so we can smear core and otlw together, at the same damn time.

this brafu is amazingly smart.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:35:21 PM by xellos »

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:03:04 PM »
no charlie, we want the mud to wipe so we can smear core and otlw together, and the same damn time.

That's fine, and it's going to happen when the mud DOES wipe, but why does it have to be early? Just wait for LUBE.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »
there was only one option on this vote that i could choose. i don't even need to tell you what it was.

octan

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 03:51:40 AM »
there was only one option on this vote that i could choose. i don't even need to tell you what it was.

Daniel, do you have the "tools" to go mining yet?

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 05:23:07 AM »
no charlie, we want the mud to wipe so we can smear core and otlw together, and the same damn time.

That's fine, and it's going to happen when the mud DOES wipe, but why does it have to be early? Just wait for LUBE.

Lube could take years. Working on a big project like that you have no idea what issues you're going to run into down the road. One simple change could take a week to do. That week could turn into multiple weeks of fixing shit that it broke.

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

Lube could take years. Working on a big project like that you have no idea what issues you're going to run into down the road. One simple change could take a week to do. That week could turn into multiple weeks of fixing shit that it broke.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. 8 month wipe is TOO SHORT. I still think they need to make a second server if they want to please everyone. One that wipes every 4 months or so, like D2 ladder, and dumps the pfiles onto the other server at wipe with an extended wipe rotation like 18 months.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 09:21:34 PM »
@Myte

You have probably played more this wipe than I have since I only started playing about 3 month's ago (after I took all of last wipe off), and I miss all of the fresh wipe fun that happens.

Many of us have been around long enough to know that the longer a wipe goes, the more dead the mud becomes, and a fresh wipe is pretty much needed just to keep the game alive. Sure, you might be having a blast doing your own thing and exploring the game, but it seems fairly obvious that the majority of players tend to lean more towards the fun of a fresh wipe and all that it brings.

I'm not saying your idea of fun is any better than mine, but the reality, IMO, is that without 8 month or so wipes... this game is probably going to turn into an even bigger ghost town.

The main problem with Arctic, and with most online games, is that the end game just kinda stops once you reach the top and all you have to do is more of the same. It's one reason some clans/people tend to just slaughter everything in sight, or jump another clan that they know will crush them, once they have basically done everything they think they can do (or want to do).

A wipe shouldn't be needed to keep the game fresh and interesting, but the reality is that at a certain point people just get bored and they got nothing left to do that keeps them coming back. Sure, there are things to do (especially exploring or playing a new class you barely know), but the point of a game is to entertain us. When we stop having fun with a game it doesn't matter if there's still a ton of things to do... we are not having fun and we move on until the game can draw us back in (as a wipe does for many).

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 10:11:41 PM »
@Myte

You have probably played more this wipe than I have since I only started playing about 3 month's ago (after I took all of last wipe off), and I miss all of the fresh wipe fun that happens.

Many of us have been around long enough to know that the longer a wipe goes, the more dead the mud becomes, and a fresh wipe is pretty much needed just to keep the game alive. Sure, you might be having a blast doing your own thing and exploring the game, but it seems fairly obvious that the majority of players tend to lean more towards the fun of a fresh wipe and all that it brings.

I'm not saying your idea of fun is any better than mine, but the reality, IMO, is that without 8 month or so wipes... this game is probably going to turn into an even bigger ghost town.

The main problem with Arctic, and with most online games, is that the end game just kinda stops once you reach the top and all you have to do is more of the same. It's one reason some clans/people tend to just slaughter everything in sight, or jump another clan that they know will crush them, once they have basically done everything they think they can do (or want to do).

A wipe shouldn't be needed to keep the game fresh and interesting, but the reality is that at a certain point people just get bored and they got nothing left to do that keeps them coming back. Sure, there are things to do (especially exploring or playing a new class you barely know), but the point of a game is to entertain us. When we stop having fun with a game it doesn't matter if there's still a ton of things to do... we are not having fun and we move on until the game can draw us back in (as a wipe does for many).

I agree with most of that. I only have a combined playtime of 25 days total on 2 chars this wipe. I didn't start my first char Rath until a month or 2 into wipe, I racked up 13-14 days of playtime, around rank 27, and stopped playing b/c of work. I took a break and came back 3 weeks ago and rolled Myte which now has 11 days of playtime rank 31. So, you probably actually have more playtime than me this wipe. I only have those 2 chars.

What about these legendary zones people still haven't figured out or can't complete because they aren't buff enough? It's not motivating enough to do something that's too hard, so let's just pwipe and do more of the same low end crap? I dunno. I would like to continue to complete the end game content that's available that a lot of people still haven't done that much of.

Interesting side note: 25 hours in 8 months is 2.5 hours / day. In 2005 I logged 3700 hours in 7 months, or 17.6 hours/day, not including the hundreds of hours spent rolling. Oh where has the time gone.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:21:26 PM by Myte »