Author Topic: Exploring  (Read 9186 times)

Neyman

• Fodder
Exploring
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
I'll preface this by saying that I think I am just cranky because, for the millionth time, my exploration of deep mine has not yielded further discoveries. Perhaps you saw my shouts about magenta slime. Desperation is a painful thing.

While this is my first wipe playing, I've been slowly exploring deep mine for months now. I don't think I am completely incompetent: I can now do a few "questy" things down there (for example, the queen knows me VERY well). And while I have genuinely discovered some of the keywords and things to do on my own, I have to admit that there are a number of times someone has given me a nudge in the right direction. "Look around in these rooms" or "Here is an item with a message ... now think about it".

So I am curious ... how are others of you figuring out deep mine or other such zones? How long does it take: hours, days, months or years? Is everyone really figuring everything out by themselves? Is there some underground mysterious market in information: "I'll tell you this kw if you tell me that kw"?

To be clear I am not looking for answers. Really, I think I just want to know I am not the only one bashing his head against the wall trying to figure out what to do in a cellar, or how to touch a sensitive contraption, or knock on an oak door.

And yes, I know how to google arctic mud and click on the 5th link down.

Thanks!

Myte

• Fodder
Re: Exploring
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
I can see how Deep Mine could be discouraging to a newbie. It was made by a creator who is very well known for in-depth and obscure keywords and content. It is a challenge even for seasoned players and many people still do not know DM's secrets. I just learned something new about it a week ago and I thought I knew it all. Don't feel bad. 95% of zones are easier to figure out than DM.

That said though, I believe it could be newbie friendly for someone who enjoys a challenge. It would definitely be fun to figure out if you had the time and you're into that kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:33:57 PM by Myte »

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:28:17 AM »
you're not the first to get frustrated with deep mine, and you won't be the last. the place is a nightmare :)

snax

Re: Exploring without "intervention", Kerns etc
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »
It varies

Case 1:  Everything magically happens and you luck upon the keywords to do basic zone:
Example: Kerns, time to do: 1 day

Case 2: You start drawing out it's more subtle keywords to get into expanded areas/all parts of the zone:
Example: Kerns, time to do 1 day - 3 years

Case 3:  You start learning how obscure items that are hinted at with where to go and learning how to go there
Example: Kerns, time to do: 1-5 years.

Case 4:  You stumble upon something you at one point actively were trying to solve and it "makes sense"
Example: Kerns: 10 years.

I think I spent somewhere north of 2400 real man hours in deep mine since it got linked and I'm still missing plenty of things, I mean I feel like I'm somewhere between case 3 and 4 now.  For some stuff, 20 years later I'm still mucking around with occasionally when I happen to end up somewhere alone with x y and z in my inventory wondering if it's actually a valid questline or is a broken questline or if it's just random pocket trash that i'm trying to sort on a shelf.

So, if you started this wipe and you've figured out a lot.  You'll actually sometimes progress to a chunk of case 3 or 4 before you even figure out the first case with certain zones.  If you feel stumped run the hell away screaming and wait till you get some random nose itch much later on.

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I dont know what Kerns is, but it is comforting to know that spending months or years to figure out a zone like Deep Mine is not unreasonable. I do really like the puzzle elements of arctic, so deep mine has been a fun zone, though obviously sometimes frustrating.

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »
I'll also add that I think it's fun exploring with other people too. So if anyone is ever interested in some slow zone exploration (as opposed to getting dragged through a zone with people just running it), feel free to msg me. My main chars are Neyman and Granger. Plus I think it's just fun talking about theories on zone quests.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »
Kerns is Dragonarmy Prison Camp.  Kern is the backstabbing mob in that zone which has become its namesake.

snax

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »
urtes is the backstabber, kern just sounds prettier.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 03:28:00 AM »
just remember, there's only so much to explore. enjoy figuring the content! so many people just want the end item rewards. they see the items from the end of some quest/area and are like i want those gauntlets or i want that whip or i want to know how to load "XXX". for me it was always solving the riddle, beating the puzzle and finding the secrets... that was the fun, and that was the endgame.

just remember, for every zone you solve there's one less exploratory expedition to enjoy! once you figure it all out, arctic becomes repetitious.

my two cents.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:52:32 AM »
I'd like to meet the person who has "figured it all out."

Toinu

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »
>> "So I am curious ... how are others of you figuring out deep mine or other such zones? How long does it take: hours, days, months or years? Is everyone really figuring everything out by themselves?"

I map things, quickly try to figure out keywords but if i don't i don't and i move on and i ask people or i look in back logs for hints.

Thing is... some people are good or lucky with keywords, others aren't, and when i'm not figuring anything out i just stop.

>> "I'd like to meet the person who has "figured it all out." "

Maybe a bunch of people together can figure out a zone... plus knowledge of other zones and "tough kws" can help since eventually there's a limited, redundant pattern.

Plus luck... the kind of luck that "oh, i was the right class with the right stat at a certain amount that enables the kw to work, i didn't even realize it".

Toinu

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »
Oh and the last point i'm not talking about deep mine in particular in case you think that you need to try every class and every stat on kws... don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

Yrch

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
One of my favorite memories was raiding in Wildrunners, sitting around for hours in one room with 12 people brainstorming to figure out one kw.  Solo exploring is fun, but cooperative exploring is much more so.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »
I really kinda hate exploring with other people. It annoys the hell out of me when other people do kw's and such and I end up missing some of the pieces to the puzzle because we just move onto the next step, or worse they do something and it screws the zone and then we have to restart... and then sometimes someone else makes the same mistake because it wasn't properly communicated what went wrong =P

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
I really kinda hate exploring with other people. It annoys the hell out of me when other people do kw's and such and I end up missing some of the pieces to the puzzle because we just move onto the next step, or worse they do something and it screws the zone and then we have to restart... and then sometimes someone else makes the same mistake because it wasn't properly communicated what went wrong =P

I believe that's a communication problem and can be solved at the appropriate levels of your organization. :) cooperative exploring is the best way. It's 10 different approaches to the same problem and 10 times more likely to solve something.