Author Topic: Exploring  (Read 9063 times)

Neyman

• Fodder
Re: Exploring
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »
I think exploring with other people can indeed be challenge, but it's growing on me. There is something nice about the shared frustration, discussing ideas, and mutual glory of success. It feels a bit less lonely than sitting in a room for hours, all alone. But it still takes a lot of patience and effort to keep the communication clear about what you are trying to do, what will or wont screw up the zone, and what actually worked. And of course, everyone needs to be given time to actually read things. It's also important for the leader to remember that walking fast might make everyone else quickly lose track of where they are in the zone.

Another challenge is often different members of the group have different levels of knowledge about a zone. It's tempting to think that the person with the most knowledge should lead. After all, they know what to do! But I would encourage, for real exploration, that the leader actually be someone with little knowledge and rather the one with the most knowledge acts in an advisory role. So maybe gives tips, hints, and warnings, but mostly just assists and sips a beer while watching TV and letting everyone else get caught up. Of course, this method requires massive amounts of patience.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
@Myte

Another big factor for me is that I like figuring things out for myself, and not being given the kw, or told what to do, after someone else figures it out.

Overall I enjoy doing this a lot more with zones that are not pretty much common knowledge, but that most people are still trying to figure out. But I do still remember figuring out druids nooks all on my own years ago, even though pretty much everyone else knew almost everything about it.

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »
@Myte

Another big factor for me is that I like figuring things out for myself, and not being given the kw, or told what to do, after someone else figures it out.

Overall I enjoy doing this a lot more with zones that are not pretty much common knowledge, but that most people are still trying to figure out. But I do still remember figuring out druids nooks all on my own years ago, even though pretty much everyone else knew almost everything about it.

The problem with that is you limit yourself to a handful of zones that allow you to solve/explore without a group. The majority of players probably don't like sitting in 1 room of a zone for 3 hours while being told not to type anything while the 'leader' figures shit out. Zones like Mithas or Silvanesti require assistance.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 11:36:01 PM »
I don't typically try to learn zones that require a group, so I don't have that problem. I'm no leader, and I don't try to learn zones that require me to be one.

Vastra

• Favorite Zone: Brogs :)
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 11:10:06 PM »
I figured out what I believe is almost all of the temple in Balifor on my own (which was really satisfying), and got some nudges in the right direction for brogs, but other than that, I'm still clueless when it comes to other zones I started exploring lol. One question I've wanted to ask since I started. The "gully dwarf covered in feces" in the bali dump across from a certain spider, is he quest related? He's the only unique-ish non-agro mob in the area, but I can't figure anything out for him.