Author Topic: Arctic - Open Source  (Read 14258 times)

Brafu

• Zoner
Re: Arctic - Open Source
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
Ok, lets say they did release the source code, and just for the moment lets assume it would be the current version of the game (zone files and all that).

What's the real point? So someone can setup their own server that, at most, maybe a couple people might log into a few times and then go back to the real Arctic where there are actually people?

The truth is that people just won't play a fake Arctic. They want the real thing with all of the chaos and drama. Also, we have low enough numbers as it is that attempting to divide the player base will only result in an even quicker decline than might already be happening (course, people have been crying about the death of the game for the past 5+ years and it's yet to happen).

The only real result in releasing the code would probably be a lot more abuse because you know at least a few people will dig through the code just to figure out how to manipulate the game mechanics to their advantage. It would end up creating even more work for the Imm staff just to fix possible bugs and odd game mechanics that might never otherwise have been discovered.

In a nutshell...

Releasing the code would be totally pointless since nothing would ever come of it (in terms of another mud actually being created from it that wouldn't crash and burn).

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »
First: No.

Second:
You do realize you asked me for a huge gift in one breath and threatened to sue me in the next breath, right?

How did you think this would work out for you?

I can go into a lot of details about how your request is misguided, your law suit is misinformed and your tone is unappealing, but I am going to just pretend you already know all the faults with your logic and go work on some code changes you will hate.

Have a nice day.

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »

Zalm

• Favorite Zone: Ancient Keep
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »

I would suspect anyone with a sliver of clout would win such a suit. 

A suit for what?

There's no money involved. 
No titles of ownership involved.
No contracts involved.

I am confused to exactly what damages  you are referring to when all thats happening is someone in possession of some code is removing something provided for free for 20 years.
Besides which , if this ever goes to court, you'll soon find out possession is 90% of the law.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:23:09 PM by Zalm »

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »
This could go all the way to the supreme court!

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »
Wow, this truly is a bit of a crackpot thread to be completely honest, the not quite so veiled legal threat by the OP is fairly moronic.

Access to the code has been past down from person to person based upon selection of the most competent, capable and trustworthy person each time a head of creation steps down. Each staff member who has ever walked on the game has donated their time in helping create additions to the game for all of us to enjoy. No compensation is offered or implied, nor to the best of my knowledge has their been any money made off of the project.

I for one would like to know the name of your attorney friend, the one whom you're implying could instigate legal action. They should know you're making threats in their name in order to game access to their name. Can't imagine there are many attorneys who would like to be party to extortion.

Anthony

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:25:03 PM by Anthony »

SArT

• Fodder
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »
I for one would like to know the name of your attorney friend, the one whom you're implying could instigate legal action. They should know you're making threats in their name

You are one of our smart players aren't you...

SArT

• Fodder
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »
And as I said before...  I have no desire to take action against the game.  I do like the fact that people are actually logging onto, and using the forum again though.

I rescinded earlier and said I would be happy with Myte's suggestion of a legacy server.  Sure it would devide the player base... but I bet where there are 10 total right now playing the game.. perhaps we would have 20 total on the two servers at the same point next wipe. 

Edit: Removed Redundancy
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:25:20 AM by SArT »

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:41 AM »
And as I said before...  I have no desire to take action against the game.  I do like the fact that people are actually logging onto, and using the forum again though.

I rescinded earlier and said I would be happy with Myte's suggestion of a legacy server.  Sure it would devide the player base... but I bet where there are 10 total right now playing the game.. perhaps we would have 20 total on the two servers at the same point next wipe. 

Edit: Removed Redundancy

This. I would play both, and the best one will win. What can be more telling? Everyone will come play the new LUBE version of the mud, and we'll see who falls out and quits and goes back to the Legacy version. I don't see what could be more fair.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
@Myte

I think the main problem is that most people will automatically play the official version and never really touch the other one. Even if some people really hate the new changes they will either have to deal with it, stop playing, or basically play in their own little sandbox (ie the old version) pretty much all by themselves.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »
@Myte

I think the main problem is that most people will automatically play the official version and never really touch the other one. Even if some people really hate the new changes they will either have to deal with it, stop playing, or basically play in their own little sandbox (ie the old version) pretty much all by themselves.

People would log on both and play both side by side. One to explore and the other to rule. Time sink is probably the same for double the reward. I won't be surprise if some will use one of the servers mainly to chat in solace inn or something.

Game mechanics will be different, but the zones themselves are the same. So I'll say there wouldn't be too much of a change as far as game play is concern. We are still 4 secs a round, 61 secs a tick.

Personally, I like new changes that have been posted. Being able to discuss on the changes makes the LUBE even more personal. So I hope Hoss and Aristox would continue posting updates.

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 12:42:42 AM »
hey sart skype me some time id like to help you with this in anyway i can. thymorical of course is my skype i think you have me on your friends.

SArT

• Fodder
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 12:46:40 AM »

snax

Re: Arctic - Open Source PDF/Article TlDR;
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 11:05:41 AM »