Poll

Should the current version of the game be allowed to continue on an alternate port from the post LUBE implementation?

Yes.
5 (26.3%)
No.
8 (42.1%)
Don't care.
3 (15.8%)
Yes, because I want to retain the 28 point stats and current rolling system (because D&D)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Legacy Server  (Read 4164 times)

Myte

• Fodder
Legacy Server
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »
Would it be possible to run a legacy server on a different port when the new code goes into effect? People who want to try the new game can try it and those of us who prefer the original can stay on legacy... I would be willing to donate for the cost of upkeep (which would really cost nothing anyways, right?). The game really won't be the same. Would definitely like to try the new version but I have a feeling the luster won't last long. It seems kind of odd that you would want to change something so suddenly and drastically that people have been addicted to for 15-20 years. Seems to be working just fine as it is.

Some people have not yet done everything they wish to do in this game. There are things I would like to accomplish that are taking a while, but I feel will be rewarding when I accomplish them. Changing the game really takes away from that. Every wipe it's like, hey I learned something about this and that, so maybe I can have better luck next wipe or be more prepared; then things change and it's like oh well. I feel like this takes away from the casual player and caters to the elite that you guys keep saying the game shouldn't cater to. Only those people who aggressively gain zone info through figuring it out at a blistering pace or "acquiring it" through other people get to have all the fun, meanwhile by the time some casual figures something out it gets changed. After all, if everyone knows something it just isn't fun for the few anymore eh? I hate that every time I start to learn something or get to a point where I have enough gear or the right ranks or whatever to do something by myself, the game wipes or new code changes make my character design obsolete, or the quest changes, etc.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant but it's a little frustrating seeing that the game is about to become a new game and I haven't finished playing this one yet.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:29:57 PM by Myte »

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
Re: Legacy Server
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »
I think you are all over-reacting and it will be a lot better and more playable than it is now.  Also will still be the same zones!

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
Here's the reason we should not do this: it would split the population.  If we keep one server, people will come back.  They will try it, and because I have faith in the people who build and maintain this mud, I know that people will enjoy it.  Perhaps the wipe after next, a legacy port might be opened... 2800 or so, I'm not conversant with port addressing.  However, we should have a wipe unified to give the mud a fair chance.  A lot of unpaid work has gone into it, and it will fix many of the issues inherent in the code which have caused work-arounds, kludges, bugs for Sart to exploit.

Give 'Stox a chance.  None of the people bitching have any desire to put the hours into this game that he has: he deserves better than we're giving him, as do all of the dedicated imms.

And, Sart?  I'd suggest taking a hammer to the server disks before giving in to your blackmail.  When the people who provide this service to us stop caring, and our free game goes away, then and only then will I support open sourcing it.  Your naked selfishness is more likely to cause that eventuality than any other influence.  Somewhere in your selfish, gratitude-barren soul, there must be the voice of your mother telling you to be kind to those who give you gifts.  Listen to it.  Our enjoyment of this game is gifted to us by those who work so that we can play.  Threatening legal action against them is a monstrous joke.

In case you do decide to go to court:  "take a hammer to" is, of course, a euphemism for "accidental ly testing the RAID array to destruction".  :)

Jason
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:42:50 AM by Hoodoo »

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
Well, I think the current version should be preserved for historical reasons. This is too drastic of a change! I like what Hoss has done for the game since he took over creation years ago, and I remember being a guinea pig for his first big project which was the Cyan revamp. It took a lot of work and seems to have been a long running pet project of his, but honestly that is the kind of stuff I think people enjoy. New content, revamped content, new things to do. The stuff coming up isn't a content revamp or slight change, it looks like a completely different game. I don't want to play a new game. Why wouldn't I just play another MUD if I wanted everything to change? It is effectively ripping the joy out of the game for me and what looks to be 50% of the player base. My nostalgic memories of the game I played which remained relatively the same over the 15 years I've played will be all that I'm left with. I guess all things die some day, I just wish it weren't now. This isn't how I saw the game ending. I figured it would just have a lack of support some day and get released to the community when people were tired of running it due to the dwindling player base, or whatever reason. But to actually see the game be completely changed and the current version be unrecoverable... that hurts actually.

Myte

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
Here's an example of how I think about this:

Morrowind. I still play Morrowind. I just bought it on steam a few months ago because I loved the game, because it was probably the greatest single player RPG ever made. What came after Morrowind? Oblivion. I bought it, I played it for like 5 hours, and I quit, and went right back to Morrowind. Oblivion sucked and most people shared that feeling. Skyrim succeeded where Oblivion failed for a lot of people I guess, but I hated Skyrim too and still play Morrowind. I'm able to do this because it was a static copy of the game that wasn't morphed into Oblivion or Skyrim. You get to choose, and I chose to keep playing Morrowind because I HATED the other versions of the game. Had I only been left with Oblivion or Skyrim to play, I still would not play them. This is why I play arctic when I have internet access, because it's the game I love that I can always go back to and know I will enjoy what I'm doing. If that goes away, it's not like it's the end of the world but it's certainly going to force me to have to find something else to do with my time. I just don't get why...

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
@Myte

As much as I want to dive into the whole Elder Scrolls debate, I won't. =P

But, in regards to the mud I have to say that I understand where you are coming from, but the game has changed a LOT in the past 15 years since I started playing. Everything from zones to just basic game mechanics have changed drastically, so really I see LUBE as being just more of the same. The main difference is that it's going to happen pretty much all at once (or at least in a fairly short time frame) as opposed to over a few wipes and 3-4 years.

Also, I have to assume that Aristox and the other imm's are not going to just throw out the current version of the mud the moment they implement the new changes. I'm guessing they'll archive it and hang onto it for awhile, just incase things really fall off the cliff after LUBE is put into place.