Author Topic: Skills training  (Read 4622 times)

Mick

• Immortal
  • Fodder
Skills training
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »
Not trying to be a whiner about having to put time into legend but it has become pretty obvious that it is now skills that have become the major time sink to getting your character to legend.

Can I just say that I don't think this is very fun game play? Especially some skills that are frankly almost completely useless?(notmentioninganynamesMENDnotatall)

There are a number of people logged on right now and instead of us grouping and zoning we are all sitting in our own corners playing with ourselves skills training.

I don't mind some skills training but the length and monotony of it is really a drag on the game.

The things that make you legend should be the things that are actually about playing the game! Rank and XP! Even coins. But typing mend <whatever> every 5 minutes?

This isn't really bitching about time sinks, it's bitching about what we DO in that time.

Brafu

• Zoner
Re: Skills training
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
I play a game for fun, and while I do enjoy the feeling of accomplishment after getting all my skills to superb, I have to agree with Shannow.

I play games for entertainment, and needing to train skills to the point where I must spend days, or even a week or more (and seeing as how I have no life, I'm talking about at-least 8+ hours most days), doing nothing but training skills just to get to the next level of the game is not entertaining.

In the past, the distant past, when it took a long time to get to 30 it made sense that skills would take awhile to train up, but now anymore. I just started playing the mud again a few weeks ago after taking all of last wipe and this wipe (minus the past few weeks, of course) off, and all I have done for the past week or so is skill. My shaman is rank 21, lvl 30, and until I can superb my skills (and get a few remaining spells), I'm unable to legendary.

My skills are almost all superb, but it's taken extreme focus and determination to get them from (in many cases) average-v.good up to excellent or superb over the past week. In order to get where I am from normal play it probably would have taken another 2-3 weeks, easily.

It wasn't unexpected since I have had many legendary chars in the past, but it's really not enjoyable and it's a mindless grind that makes the mud feel more like a job.

Neal

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
Skills that need to be trained outside of combat seem like a grind to me  I'm sure others feel the same. It would open a lot of doors to character development if Arctic adapted a sort of talent/ skill tree you see in other games. Then we could purchase skills and choose paths as we level up that could take away from training a skill like arcane barrier and mend where all you do is set a trigger up anyways.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:48:03 PM »
I'm sure whatever Lube has, it will address this problem.

But here is an idea.

Legend rank (the 5rp) requirement should only have "combat" skills as pre-req.

Individual legend ranks should be tied to non-combat skills as pre-req.

This way, a normal play would not need to "grind" through skills (like mend) to get that superb for legend rank.

If they need those individual class legend ranks, then they need to "grind" through the skill be superb. Which is ok since you can be selective in what you need.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
Combat related skills tend to also need to be grinded, just like non-combat ones. Something like parry, which in my experience many warriors seldom use, seems to be a real pain in the butt to skill.

Anthony

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:19:51 PM »
Some of these skills just reflect the age of the game and the changes that have happened over the 20+ years.

Back in the day, pre-barbarians, parry was the shit and every warrior had it to excellent+ by the time they hit 1x. But now with so many changes, nerfs, etc. it isn't quite so useful.

I would imagine with the lube project that some of this will be a moot point. Why would Aristox spend time recoding useless skills?

snax

re: back in the day
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:16:51 PM »
you also had a lot longer time spent levelling.  every mob's level and effective level was the same so there weren't really any good power xping.  DM and similar things didn't exist, and you tended to be killing carrion crows for around 181 xp well at some point between level 5 and 15.

Pygmies i think gave around 2k and were done at level 12 in groups?

and you'ld die and delevel rather easily and almost certainly lose hp permanently.  don't make me shudder back to the day of titled <100 hp druids and mages.  *SHUDDER* SHUDDER

Anthony

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
There wasn't DM, but there were a fair number of pretty high xp quests and such that got nerfed so badly that now when you complete one, you can only chuckle when you get 50k xp.