Author Topic: d&d dungeon zone  (Read 4122 times)

gulca

• Zone Leader
d&d dungeon zone
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »
I was going through the core books of 3.5 and 4th Edition D&D Rule books and came across the random encounter tables.

Wouldn't it be great if Arctic has a zone that implements that encounter table? I imagine it would almost be a Diablo clone type of zone.  Here is an example of some tables from Pathfinders (3.5e rules)

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/indexes-and-tables/encounter-tables

Each dungeon level (heading down the sewer of a city on top of a mountain) contains random set of mobs (with equivalent mob level). For example, dungeon level 1 will have a list of possible level 1 mobs (from the table). The number of groups of mobs and type of the mobs will be decided at each repop of the zone level.

Any player that goes through the dungeon will expect random mobs to kill and survive. When more than 1 player enters the a particular level, the quota of random mobs will increase in the next few min. For example, mobs will have a chance to pop every min until the max group has reached. When a player dies or leaves the dungeon level, there will be a chance for the mobs to "disappear". This way, you won't have over crowded mobs in any dungeon level.

So, since Arctic has 30 levels, this zone would have 30 dungeon levels. Each dungeon level will have a level generator that includes basic rooms, and staircases joining the adjacent levels. The dungeon levels are static per reboot. The mobs in each level aren't, as explained above. Mobs will enter the dungeon, roams around, and leave the dungeon after a while. As far as monsters encounter are concern, you won't ever find the same mobs combination.

To make things interesting, "good" mobs and "evil" mobs may appear at the same time. They may "attack" each other in the same room and players might take sides helping one group or the other group. Or players may kill both groups for glory and treasure.

In short:
1. Purely hack and slash style zone.
2. Always random encounters to keep things fresh.
3. Players know their limit (ie level 15 players should roam until dungeon level 15 and not more)
4. Consider this zone an attraction to D&D players and Diablo style players.
5. Gives imms a chance to have a go at random map generator. And hopefully random equipment generator.

snax

Re: d&d dungeon zone
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
I was going through the core books of 3.5 and 4th Edition D&D Rule books and came across the random encounter tables.

Wouldn't it be great if Arctic has a zone that implements that encounter table? I imagine it would almost be a Diablo clone type of zone.  Here is an example of some tables from Pathfinders (3.5e rules)

In short:
1. Purely hack and slash style zone.
2. Always random encounters to keep things fresh.
3. Players know their limit (ie level 15 players should roam until dungeon level 15 and not more)
4. Consider this zone an attraction to D&D players and Diablo style players.
5. Gives imms a chance to have a go at random map generator. And hopefully random equipment generator.

um, so group a goes in and random mobs load awesome gear and are easy, group b goes in and is slaughtered horrendously.  group b whines group a is cheating (after all, couldn't slartyfox the 49th level immortal just load extra cyans and / or slay overkill mobs before his friends go in?)

it's a neat idea, but that's what nethack is for and is a game you might wanna check out.  not an imm but it seems like a polarizing idea that beyond implementation headaches would result in nothing but endless bitching.  my favorite class in larn/hack games is always the tourist with the blind wand flash camera =P

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:53:37 PM »
I think this is a great idea man.  Everyone is quick to tell you the holes in an idea but slow to compliment.  Would the zone as a whole have a timer? or would all the levels have their own individual repop timer.  I see it as a one stop xp shop. 

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 02:20:34 AM »
Would the zone as a whole have a timer? or would all the levels have their own individual repop timer.  I see it as a one stop xp shop.

Each group of random monsters will appear (roll of dice according to tables) from some predefined edge of the dungeon. They will randomly move around the area, and may leave the dungeon after a while. Different groups will have different behaviors (wanderers and settlers). Wanderers will eventually leave the dungeon. After settling, settlers will spawn 1d4 lower rated groups (that move to adjacent rooms) while the original settlers will gain 1d3 levels.

Each dungeon level will have similar kind of rules. So there is really no repop timer. As soon as one group of monster leave the dungeon, another group will come in on successful roll (every min after). A cleared out dungeon level might need 10-15 min for all the new mobs to appear again.

The quota per group per dungeon should be set to 1 group per 8-10 rooms. A 40 rooms dungeon should have about 4 to 5 wandering groups at any single time. Whenever there are more than 1 player in that dungeon level, the limit is raised by 2 groups.

As for treasures and loots, we can make everything no-rent and fast decay once outside the zone. Weapons and preps usefulness will be a direct function of dungeon level. Hopefully there will be a lot of chests, cabinets, shelves that contain lots of preps for adventurers to use.

Shops can be implemented inside and you can sell the no rent eqs (at very low price) when you are done.

And yes, this zone is meant to be modular and scalable. You define how rooms are connected, you set up tables of encounters and item generators. Hopefully all these are in text forms. Punch in some limits to the zone generator and BAM unlimited random-generated fun for years to come.

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 08:57:53 AM »
With all the changes they are making might as well add this I think haha.. nice idea