Author Topic: Caravan 2.0  (Read 2887 times)

Brafu

• Zoner
Caravan 2.0
« on: May 27, 2014, 03:01:13 AM »
With the recent demise of the caravan system, I got to thinking about the general idea and what I really didn't like about it, and what I think might be a good replacement for it.

I liked the idea behind the system, but I think it's real downfall was that you had to wait, seemingly, forever to hop onto it, and then you had to wait longer for it to reach where you wanted to go. It always seemed like it was far more of a hassle, and not to mention confusing, for most people (especially new players) to mess with.

Perhaps what might be a better system is to simply have a stagecoach type system where you can purchase direct passage to some destinations? Possibly have each one only link to the closest towns near it, so you have to take the next coach in the next town if you want to get to somewhere distant (mostly to prevent people from just using the system for a easy/fastish transit system to replace running, but still keep it useful for low lvl chars and newbies).

Hell, maybe even just make it a mage portal system. There's obviously a lot of work going on with lube, so making a whole new system (the stagecoach notion) with all the extra description work and such might be asking too much. But I imagine a simple portal room (that charges) in certain spots in the major towns would be a lot easier and quicker to implement. Could add in a level restriction and/or restrict it from clan use to facilitate the notion that it's there to help players/characters who are not already well established and not in real need of such a system.

Maybe it's all a terrible idea, but having just made a new lowbie it kind of became a real issue and something that I think would probably help newer players just get around better.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Re: Caravan 2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 05:04:31 AM »
i actually like this idea. i think you could implement it like this:

1) you can't use the caravan system while flagged

2) caravans transport people every 15 or so minutes to all different locations. this can be simultaneous at all caravan boarding spots around krynn

3) you buy a "ticket" to the destination you want to go to. say if im at haven caravan station, i buy a ticket to balifor caravan station, which puts a "Headed to Balifor" affect on my score. using a score affect will prevent shifty pkillers from manipulating the system to travel vast distances quickly by timing their mass logs with caravan transport times. when the caravan travel time is hit (every 15 minutes or whatever is set), everyone with the affect in room gets transferred to the relevant location, provided their not flagged

4) caravan ticket vendors stop selling tickets ~1-2 minutes before the caravan leaves. similar reason as above, to stop the "mass log caravan travel" move

thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:08:44 AM by Jorquin »

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
I love this idea.. I wish I had some control Id love to make this work better.. I have used this caravan a total of twice.. once when i was a newbie and again just for shits and giggles.. and it was horrible and made worthless once they started selling flight potions at every mage shop.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »
@Jorquin

The main issue I had with the current disabled caravan system is that you had to wait a long time just to even board it many times. You had to wait for it to get around to your location, and then wait some more for it to bring you to the spot you wanted. I'm talking about making it MUCH shorter, maybe even instant (instant as in you begin your travels whenever you choose, and not on a schedule).

It also needs to be dead simple and straight forward so people will actually want to use it instead of just rushing off towards their destination and getting stuck on the road for 5 tic.

I also think all the fly pots should be removed from all the magic shops and it should go back to how it was before where only a few shops had them and you made a point to hit that shop up whenever you were in the area. I liked how the mud felt kinda big and that things were not all tailored for my convenience and whatnot.

I, personally, found that having to hit up gulfport for fly pots added to my enjoyment of the game because it just made it feel like towns and shops were more unique and I had a reason to actually go out of my way to visit such and such merchant. I felt the game lost something when merchants like the dust merchant mostly became obsolete (especially when SH alchemy shops sell cheap powerful refreshes), and how the world merchant made most town shops pointless (aside from getting a better sell price sometimes).

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »
Sadly, the caravan system was turned back on.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
@Hoss

Party pooper.