Poll

Allow unlimited ranks/pay to protect your char from pwipe?

Allow only unlimited ranks
2 (18.2%)
Allow only protected chars from pwipes with a fee
0 (0%)
Allow both protected chars from pwipes (with a fee) AND unlimited ranks
1 (9.1%)
Allow neither.
7 (63.6%)
Lunitari beckons me to Neutrality
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: April 26, 2014, 01:20:03 AM

Author Topic: Ranks  (Read 3934 times)

Tromiko

Ranks
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:08:11 AM »
     Hi, I don't post very often on here, but I do quite a bit of reading.  After playing for about 11 years on and off and playing other rpgs (console and pc based) between my inactive wipes, I have noticed one consistent pattern with rpgs as a whole, and their playerbases.  In other games where you can constantly level up your character with no end in sight, they have unlimited playability and that is what keeps players on these games, because you are never finished making your character better.  I think if arctic took the purchase limit off all the ranks and made it where you could gain endless ranks, albeit it being extremely difficult once you start getting into the 30's and so forth (like it already is) then the playability of the game would go up and you wouldn't see people getting bored with just one class of character.  I can literally say that all the players in my clan get bored of playing 1 main character because you can see an end in sight where you can no longer improve the natural qualities of your character.  Take Diablo 3 for instance, once characters on that game get past their max level cap (our level 30) they begin earning paragon levels (our ranks) but their paragon levels are endless (whereas ours end at 50) I believe that if ranks were unlimited and still extremely hard to go up, most players would not bore so easily and they could actually strive to make their characters elite.  Sure, some of you may think it's overpowering characters, but it will maintain playability of your characters and will keep interest in that character for the longrun.  Instead of one person having 2-5 mediocre characters they could actually have one extremely solid character if they chose to.  That's just my thoughts and I want to see what others think.  One other thing I would like to suggest, the ability to keep your character from being pwiped if you paid for it.  This would enable a little income for the maintainers to keep the mud up and running, sure it's not much, but it's a start and eventually it will be needed to keep the mud up and running, this game won't always be free I think, but I would definitely pay to keep my char from being wiped, I don't even care about the gear, just the char's level and ranks kept would be awesome.  To avoid people taking advantage of this, just make it to where unwiped chars cannot initiate combat against certain leveled characters.

Doug

Re: Ranks
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:52:16 PM »
More ranks would be nice.

Just don't see how it would be fair to have a group of naked legend characters running around at the beginning of the wipe.  The only thing I could think of would be to lock the character for the first month or so.  Even then I don't think I like it....I like the fresh start.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »
Increasing the ranks past 50 is trivial.  The only reason it hasn't been done is that no one gets close to 50 over the course of a wipe.  We rarely see anyone get to 40.  Ranks get rough after about 30.

Code: [Select]
Chars per Rank:

{Rank:count (% of total ranked chars)}

Rank   0:  889
Rank   1:  191 (16.90%)
Rank   2:  114 (10.09%)
Rank   3:   88 (7.79%)
Rank   4:   54 (4.78%)
Rank   5:   71 (6.28%)
Rank   6:   49 (4.34%)
Rank   7:   48 (4.25%)
Rank   8:   38 (3.36%)
Rank   9:   31 (2.74%)
Rank  10:   33 (2.92%)
Rank  11:   27 (2.39%)
Rank  12:   29 (2.57%)
Rank  13:   24 (2.12%)
Rank  14:   19 (1.68%)
Rank  15:   26 (2.30%)
Rank  16:   30 (2.65%)
Rank  17:   19 (1.68%)
Rank  18:   17 (1.50%)
Rank  19:   11 (0.97%)
Rank  20:   35 (3.10%)
Rank  21:   18 (1.59%)
Rank  22:   27 (2.39%)
Rank  23:   24 (2.12%)
Rank  24:   20 (1.77%)
Rank  25:   22 (1.95%)
Rank  26:   12 (1.06%)
Rank  27:   13 (1.15%)
Rank  28:    7 (0.62%)
Rank  29:    8 (0.71%)
Rank  30:    7 (0.62%)
Rank  31:    2 (0.18%)
Rank  32:    4 (0.35%)
Rank  33:    5 (0.44%)
Rank  34:    6 (0.53%)
Rank  36:    1 (0.09%)

Those are the numbers from this morning.  25 (just over 2%) of characters have gotten to rank 30 or greater so far this wipe.

All that said, I don't really think we need to increase the maximum ranks, but if someone hits 50 I certainly will.

As for paying a fee to keep your character through a pwipe, that is never going to happen.  We might implement a system where legendary characters can keep their char name from wipe to wipe, but never the levels/ranks.   

Even if we ignore the problems with charging a fee for anything on the game and our licensing, the game becomes much harder to play if the newer players are never able to catch up to the top players.  Allowing people to pay-to-win or at least pay-for-a-HUGE-headstart would create a big inequality that could never be overcome.  Part of the reason for pwipes is to level the playing field, allow fresh starts, let the people that spent the wipe learning tricks to use those tricks to gain an advantage.

Also, as part of the Lube we are redoing ranks.  We haven't gotten too far down the discussion, but they will be different for than now.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
All that said, I don't really think we need to increase the maximum ranks, but if someone hits 50 I certainly will.

or delete them and see what a text rendition of the shining looks like

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »

As for paying a fee to keep your character through a pwipe, that is never going to happen.  We might implement a system where legendary characters can keep their char name from wipe to wipe, but never the levels/ranks.   

I would suggest making these legendary characters a "town walking MOB" in town of their choice. 

RichE

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:40:46 AM »
And make sure these "mobs" give no ranks to ensure they will go unmolested.

Soran

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »

I would suggest making these legendary characters a "town walking MOB" in town of their choice.

I REALLY like this idea, though the legendary character should have to be quite exceptional, even among legends. I think I read that no one has attained rank 50? Perhaps this could be an incentive to really push yourself and your character. Perhaps add in a set of ridiculous feats to be accomplished along the way. I am unsure about the town of their choice though. Why not make the character a boss mob in a new zone? If I am a DK, hit rank 50, etc., then maybe the Queen has taken a special interest me and given me my own command (as a mob now, not player) and I set up camp somewhere? Or perhaps use the character for a world event, like this new Dragonarmy force has decided to invade Palanthas or something.
 There is a lot that can be done with this idea. This may be incentive enough to keep playing and be the new "end in sight" goal for a pc.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »
How about making a zone with all the characters from STH/RISE that Hoss has deleted?  That would be cool!

Xinnix, Profion, Alias, Mousasi, Ug, Chorillo, Kiljarn, Luther, Badjer, Ndamukong, Drebin, Vagabundando, Colbryn, Khama.  I know there are more, but that would be a legit zone...

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »
No one cares.