Author Topic: rules  (Read 6729 times)

Bryton

• Zoner
rules
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »
Is their anyway we can get some real rules in this game? Instead of all this vague rule bullshit?

For instance why did we add xp to pking if  "some higher ups" seem to be totally against pk and delete people because of it. You make up this "massive jerk" rule which is totally vague and makes no sense. I feel this rule would be followed more if it was more specific, because what I call a "massive jerk" is completely different then what someone else calls a "massive jerk." For instance someone might think summon pking is a jerk thing to do, while others don't really care.

Mainly I think the big problems between the imms and players lately is due to people trying to enforce this rule pretty harshly. The only reason I bring this up is to better the game and the relationship of the players and imms.

Thanks

Ps: are you restoring mousasi?

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: rules
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:33:21 AM »
The only reason I bring this up is to better the game and the relationship of the players and imms.

I think the general public has no problem with the imms.

This is mostly "top" clan politics so don't drag us commoners into your camp.

And are we expecting something else to happen when you smash an egg (STH) against a rock (HOSS)?

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:40:52 AM »
Is their anyway we can get some real rules in this game? Instead of all this vague rule bullshit?

Pretty sure it was kept vague for a reason.

Rorc

• God
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:02:13 AM »
One of the reasons the rules are left vague is because there is a spirit of the rules and a letter of the rules.

If we had to define every rule in detail, it would be a nightmare for everyone (especially when someone wants to go by the letter of the rules and not the spirit of the rules)

Just imagine: "You are not allowed to punch someone, then bash them as a chained attack"

Players would then change punch/bash combo to punch, kick, bash because "You said I only couldn't punch bash, you said nothing about punch kick bash.

fran

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:08:51 AM »
  Some important information to help you make sense of that rule:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-simple-steps-to-not-being-total-asshole/

"Listen: You're an asshole. It's who you are. But lately you look around and you see your fellow men peacefully coexisting with one another -- skipping through meadows, riding tandem bicycles, and just generally not being total cunts all the time -- and you want a piece of that action. The only problem is: You just don't know how to go about not being a complete shithead. Where does one even start? Well, I'm here to help. If you are an asshole, suspect you might be an asshole, or just know an asshole who could use some help, read on to learn how to take the first little steps toward a normal life, bereft of scorn and shell necklaces."

http://www.xojane.com/issues/how-not-to-be-a-dick-to-your-fat-friends

"But you, you are not an asshole. I know this because you have told me so. And because you are not an asshole, I feel like I can say these things to you, in the hopes that you will think about them the next time you hang out with a friend who might be fat -- or even the next time you interact with a fat person that you don't know."

Lessons to be learned there if you are confused.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
@gulca Sorry I should have put most players and some imms.

@didawaka thanks for the response.

@Rorc I don't get how defining this rule would be such a nightmare. What you said doesn't make any sense.

If the rule was you can't kill anyone 5 levels less then you, or you couldn't kill more then 10 people in a 3 hour time frame. That would be a lot easier to follow and a lot less massive jerk deletions would happen.

For instance I had a level 22 thief early wipe and I killed 3-4 people and got great xp that leveled me. Due to me doing this my level 20 mage got deleted, and my level 30 basher got deleted.

To me killing 3-4 people around my level to get xp isn't being a massive jerk.

@fran if I'm such an asshole, I probably shouldn't of helped a new guy through the mage quest like I did. Usually there are reasons behind me being a jerk to the player base, most of the time it's because of unfair immortal intervention like I stated above.

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »
Wow someone is quick to delete my responses today.  You only prove my words correct... Oligarchy.

Rorc

• God
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »
If the rule was you can't kill anyone 5 levels less then you, or you couldn't kill more then 10 people in a 3 hour time frame. That would be a lot easier to follow and a lot less massive jerk deletions would happen.

Ok, so using your example of killing more than 10 people in a 3 hour time frame.

Is this a rolling 3 hour window. Is this a 3 hour block that increments (12-3, 3-6, etc).

What if I kill 7 people at 12:03 and kill another 5man group when they attack me at 15:02. What if I am in a group and only get credit for killing 4 people, even though my group killed 10. What if we're in a PK battle and you kill a 10man group. What if they want to come back and try to kill you for gear. Knowing that you're not allowed to kill more than 10 in a 3 hour window, could they just attack you knowing that if they die you get punished, but if they win they get your gear also.

See how many potential questions come up around a simple statement. If the rules were going to be specific to all situations, then you'd either get: A. So many rules you'd need a lawyer to understand them all. or B. only a couple rules but they are so restrictive that you can't do anything.

This is why the rules are vague with just an underlying intent.

fran

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
Bryton,

My point is not that I think you are a massive jerk.  The point I am making is that it isn't an obscure rule.  You know when you are being a jerk.  What you want to know is when you go from being just a jerk to a massive jerk.  I would say to you, don't be a jerk and you won't have to worry about crossing that line.  If you don't know if you are a jerk or not...read those links for enlightenment.  I will say this, in my book if you know you are a jerk and continue being a jerk...you are a massive jerk.

This goes for everyone, myself included.  We all act like jerks on occasion. 

Jozheg

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
What's the discussion about? He who dines the girl, dances her. That's it, plain and simple. Rules. schmules..

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »
For instance why did we add xp to pking if  "some higher ups" seem to be totally against pk and delete people because of it.

So that you can suicide your early wipe zoners against your clannies mages and level them quickly?

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-simple-steps-to-not-being-total-asshole/

http://www.xojane.com/issues/how-not-to-be-a-dick-to-your-fat-friends

Good read. Thumbs up.

As for clearer rules and punishment on offenders, I agree with Rorc's. Why? Here is an example every parent can relate to.

My 6 year old starts screaming around the house. I tell him to stop it. He ask why? I said that's the rule, no screaming in the house. Being a little smart ass, he starts to talk real loud. I tell him to stop. He ask why? He is not going against the rule because he is not screaming anymore. Here is where we switch to Homer strangling Bart. :) 

Brad

• Fodder
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 02:24:10 AM »
I've been playing this game for going on 10 years now. I have no "true" enemies. I Have rules:

- Don't be an asshole.
- Accept that you will be killed by assholes, and don't lower yourself to their level.
- Find sanctuary in the fact that those assholes will eventually kill the wrong person. 

(pretty much the "asshat" policy)

One day I may be the "wrong person"....but until then I'm happy just killing mobs.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 05:50:53 AM »
a few years ago i was much more intent on "crushing the enemy", the last few wipes i haven't really cared as much. generally if you abide by these rules you'll be fine

1) only kill people who are you genuinely believe are an enemy based on some reason
2) if they whine excessively, even if you still believe they're evil you should return their gear
3) anyone who doesn't have things worth looting isn't worth killing
4) don't repeatedly kill the same character

stick to these and you'll be fine.