Author Topic: If you've decided a questline no longer benefits the game...  (Read 4700 times)

Hoodoo

• Zoner
If you've decided a questline no longer benefits the game...
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:55:10 AM »
Please, dear God, please, remove the *expletives deleted* hints and pointers.  I've spent, no lie, at *least* 80 hours in the last few weeks in 1 zone working primarily on 1 questline (because, contrary to popular belief, there is still exploring going on in the world). 

After this time, with one other helping me explore, we make progress, but... the thing isn't doing the thing the way it should be doing the thing.  So, we try more, figuring, hell, we're old and senile. Maybe we're remembering it wrong, or the pot was extra potent.

Nope.  Turns out this questline has been disabled for something like 5 years, but... all the stuff for it is still in.  It frustrates me that there was no standard path for this information to reach me... I had to ask around amongst all the people I knew who might be 'in the know' on such things.  i.e. I had to fish for imm rumors, information which somehow trickles down from godshome into the ears of knowledgable players with good friends. 

This is the traditional way for information to spread in this very tightly controlled data environment we've built around Arctic.  However, I don't think it's ideal.  At a minimum, some attempt should be taken to actually remove the details of any questline like the one to which I refer from the game if the line no longer benefits the game... as opposed to just disabling an acode which blocks it, or removing 1 item from the line so that while you can read about it, you can never make it work. 

These solutions do little to inhibit the gameplay of the 'well-informed', as they generally already know about the de-linking.  It only hurts those who are trying to produce original knowledge, learn something without just asking for a log, etc... the type of behavior we should probably be encouraging, not placing road blocks in front of. 

Thank you for your time,

Jason
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:16:19 AM by Hoodoo »

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
Re: If you've decided a questline no longer benefits the game...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
Unfortunately this stuff happens.

It is a product of a few things:
-Creators not documenting most of the time.
-A very small staff, not a ton of time to hunt these things down.
-Really complex specials that are linked (sometimes across zones).
-People leaving who knew how something worked.

All I can do is apologize for your lost time, I am sorry about it.

If you can email myself (aristox@arcticmud.org) and/or Hoss (hoss@arcticmud.org) about the specific quest you think is broken, we can clean it up for people in the future (or possibly fix it).

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:45:47 PM »
I spend most of my spare time on this game exploring and I feel your pain. I can't even count the number of broken quest lines I've come across. This wipe in particular I started just asking the staff (and I really don't know if they want this behavior) whether something's an old broken pile of dump our if it's something solvable. More often than not they're more than happy to tell you something's bapted. Don't do this every 5 minutes or without having spent a lot of time in whatever area you're looking at our prepare to be ignored forever.

There's a fine line between exploring and what's fair to us as players when being led on. Aristox said it best - low staff leads to broken zonelets. All you can do is let them know.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
Perhaps we could help each other by sharing things we know don't work anymore (or which we suspect don't work anymore) here on the forum.  Here are some things I've found that I suspect are no longer fully functioning quests:

weird orange stone that pops from galazor
owl cage quest in crytic
largus backdoor(s) from solace sewer
all the quests from enstar's bay (!)

Please realize I am posting this as a player and this is all based on my own observation.  Enstar could now be attached to solace sewers through the old whiten backdoor for all I know.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
Perhaps we could help each other by sharing things we know don't work anymore (or which we suspect don't work anymore) here on the forum.  Here are some things I've found that I suspect are no longer fully functioning quests:

weird orange stone that pops from galazor
owl cage quest in crytic
largus backdoor(s) from solace sewer
all the quests from enstar's bay (!)

Please realize I am posting this as a player and this is all based on my own observation.  Enstar could now be attached to solace sewers through the old whiten backdoor for all I know.

I'm actually not going to take part in this one unless the immortals themselves open a thread specifically for it. There's a lot of broken stuff that has ranks that I'd rather not lose :P

breiner

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
Could also be that it just isnt broken but you just cant figure out;) I for one dont want to see zonesolving on forum:) Dont want to turn this game into every other online game where you can just google the answer to everything so you dont have to even try to think on your own first.
Just email the imms if you got something that you think is bugged or unlinked instead.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
I considered that option, Breiner, and ruled it out before posting on here.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »
The Cyan backdoor from solace tree is still working to my knowledge.  Same with the COT backdoor, Bloodshoal backdoor, largus backdoor, backdoor to my house.

Keith

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
Reed is letting you know... his backdoor is open and ready for use/abuse.