Author Topic: Resistances and Immunities -- Next Wipe  (Read 3816 times)

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
Resistances and Immunities -- Next Wipe
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »
Quick post this week.

Resistances Collapsed

We are changing resistances to be in just 3 categories:  Holy, Arcane and Elemental

This means a few things:
-Fire spells and Ice Spells and Lightning spells, etc will all have damage reduced by Elemental.
-We will be adding more damage types for spells.  Specifically to give Holy and Arcane a wider range of things to protect against.
-Resist equipment will be more powerful.
-Resist spells will be shorter duration.

Resistances Capped

We are going to cap the amount of resistance you can have to any of the three resist types at sub 100%. Right now the number is 80%, but that isn't set in stone.

This also means we are removing the ability to have 100%+ resist and get healed by that damage type.

Immunities not collapsed and long lasting versions more rare

The immunity flags are not being collapsed.  There will still be IMMUNE_COLD or IMMUNE_FIRE.

We are also going to limit the availability of long last immunity affects. This will include removing the rank options and a lot of these flags from equipment.

We are planning to make shorter duration immunity affects more available, but we are not ready to talk about how yet.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
Re: Resistances and Immunities -- Next Wipe
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:30:41 PM »
 Arcane and holy going to have sub types like elemental that can then have 100  immunity to sub type?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:32:13 PM by Zozen »

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
Re: Zozen

That was really hard to parse. So I will just answer Yes to what I think you are trying to ask.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
Would all damages/effects be in these 3 categories? Or just spell type effects?

I thinking along the lines of pure melee (from weapons/hands), skills resulting effect/damage & spells.

For example:
1. pure melee from sword/axe, non weapon with +dam
2. bash damage, punch damage and diso effects, dk thrust effects, stupefy, taunt
3. Spells
    a. arcane: spells protected by ams?
    b. holy: cause crit/harm type/sunray?
    c. elemental: fireball, druid type spells
    d. how bout spells not protected by ams? like nightmare

Will we have resistance for all things that causes damage and effects?

And how will you handle zone/item special effects that aren't in these categories?

Also, what does it mean to have like 80% resistance?
1. Reduce damage at each dam roll?
2. Shorter duration?
3. Bonus to saving throw?
3. Chance to re-save against spells every round the spell is in effect? For example, if you are blind, you get 80% chance of having a bonus saving throw to be un-blind, and if you make that roll, you get to make a roll with 80% chance of being un-blind.

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
These sound interesting. Will there be any changes to spell or other saves as well?

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
Arcane and holy going to have sub types like elemental that can then have 100  immunity to sub type?
We do not see any sub types being created under arcane and holy at this time. Elemental was difficult to get our arms around due to the sub-types already existing.

Would all damages/effects be in these 3 categories? Or just spell type effects?
Your post is difficult to read, however if I understand correct....
The resist system that Aristox posted only impacts damage done my magical means. For example: Ice Storm spell does elemental damage, Force Bolt does arcane damage and Sunray does holy damage. Pretty much all spells that do damage fall into one of these 3 groups.

Also, what does it mean to have like 80% resistance?
You would lower the damage caused by the spell by 80%. If you were hit by a lightning bolt that causes 100 damage, you would only take 20 (or 80% less)

@gulca @didawakka Saves, saving throws will be an upcoming dev post, stay tuned.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
How about more spells with multiple types - like sunray holy/fire?  ice storm - physical/ice?

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:15:15 AM »
@Dyl while that might seem like a neat addition, it gets messy very quickly. Our goal is to keep the resist system and the understanding of the resist system very basic.

Lyam

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 05:08:16 AM »
just a query about edrain/mal tent type spell.. are these gonna fall under arcane type spells and imm_edrain type eq going to get limited?

any idea yet about how this will affect brew/scribe and their relevant components?

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »
Don't assume any of the current spells (expect heal) will exist.  I am not saying we are removing all spells, but everything except heal is up for review/possible removal.

That said, if sometthing like energy drain exists it will use negative_energy, which is a HOLY resist damage source.  Yes, immune_negative_energy will still exist.

Make sense?

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »
Don't assume any of the current spells (expect heal) will exist.  I am not saying we are removing all spells, but everything except heal is up for review/possible removal.

R.I.P Spell Trap (hopefully)