Author Topic: Shielding Neutrals from PK wars.  (Read 7108 times)

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Re: Shielding Neutrals from PK wars.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »
you'd hope that since almost all the people that play arctic now are adults, that there would be a level of maturity in the way that they behave. unfortunately, this isn't always the case.

experienced players continually become disenchanted with inter-clan politics, their interactions with immortals or maybe just generally get bored of playing arctic and then proceed to act like massive douche bags. they will then random almost any player they come across, repeatedly attacking others even when they have nothing to gain from it except the "fun" of ruining someone else's enjoyment.

these people usually get punished, and it tarnishes their reputation in the eyes of the staff. the people dishing out punishment are going to remember the past behaviour of offenders, and will be less tolerant of them in future. this leads to general whining of "unfairness", yet to use an old cliche, players effectively dig their own graves by their past douche-baggery.

the reality is that staff shouldn't need to develop hard code to shield people from, to quote others, "asshats". the people that still play arctic do so because they enjoy the game. it is a mystery to me why some of those individuals at times would go out of their way to make playing arctic as unenjoyable as possible for others, effectively shortening the remaining lifespan of the mud. furthermore while pkilling is sometimes taken to the extreme it is a fundamental part of arctic. hard coding a protection system would not only detract from that, but it would also inevitably be abused by those same douche bags who it would be designed to hinder.

tldr version :  arctic's players are all adults. there should not be a need for hard coded methods to ensure players act in a mature fashion. if you enjoy playing arctic you probably shouldn't intentionally ruin the fun of others who keep it alive, or you may not have a game to play in future.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:22:24 AM by Jorquin »

Dralan

• God
  • Favorite Zone: Blood Shoal
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 02:14:12 AM »
My problem with this is what if my mage only silk underwear of doom are loaded and its limit 1 and low% and some no pk character  is killing the mob that it loads on, its going to decay fast because a no pk character kill it.  I would like to think that most players are mature enough to not kill lowbies for no reason.  Notice i said most.  The randoming is no where as bad as it use to be when i first started playing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:27:40 AM by Dralan »

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »
Some forget just how little pking there actually is anymore these days, especially of the random variety.

When I first started playing in 01 you HAD to have a no_charm/summon item if you wanted to be safe. If you went walking around town, as a lowbie, without a no_charm, then you ran a HIGH risk of being charmed, stripped, then held/silence/slept and left to wait for it all to go away (if you were not just killed outright).

Not to mention the people scanning the who list for people to randomly summon/pk.

This game has seldom better LESS pk than it has been the past 7 years, especially in regards to random pk.

walters

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 06:33:57 AM »
the randomness of pk has completely dropped off from what it once was. I can remember logging my thief along time back and sitting outside an inn with a peace breaker so i could stab people trying to get hps back. People who whine about pk... if you played this game 10 years ago you would cry a river and sail a boat on your tears to a new game. this game was chosen to be a pk mud. i think there are a couple nopk muds around for the soft teddy bear girls that play. but really what  kinda fun is it if you know you load gear and you have about 0% chance to lose it... and any lim 1 item unless your name is corey i doubt youll ever see it let alone even have a chance to get it.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »
Some of my most vivid, and fondest, memories of this game revolve around pk.

I can remember this one time, when I was an extreme newbie, soloing in the kal fort and suddenly being attacked by some random invis person. I fled quickly and told my friend about it who was helping to show me the ropes. It wasnt until a bit later that I realized it had ticked over to night and that invis person... was really just the mob I was fighting at night. Needless to say I stuck to my mysterious invis person attacking me story =P

I have few such memories of PvE, but even the big ones that I do have (like fighting Cyan for the first time) just don't stack up to even the smallest of the PvP memories.

I'm not very good at pk, nor does it really make up much of my time on the mud, but that doesn't mean it's not one of the most important aspects of the game for me. Without pk, there's really no point in me playing this game over something like Titanfall or Destiny.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
I remember the first time i got to level 23 and was hitting solid massacres with my probably lucern hammer at the time.  I decided to take on Astinus solo!  well i miss bash and got stunned and died the end.

Another great moment was when i was first exploring ever
I explored east of palanthas and got killed by a stone dragon
I couldn't escape this dragon for the life of me! but i did find a dragon and i wanted to kill it
I think i took a total of 3 groups to that dragon and we all died
Finally someone clued me in that the stone dragon was un-killable!

Oh the fun days.  I remember a great battle also west of kalaman.  Denday/and 2 low level bashers vs Methuselah and Eon both strong!  however they both died.  Oh they good ol days

I also remember a time when i was still neutral never joined a clan or formed one and Ahma came and pk'd someone in the group.  We had like 5-6 neutrals in our group and we decided to attack this group of 5-6 aham..  It was a good ol battle we did die however,  after the fight the ahma were very impressed with us!

the end

dodok

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
When I discovered a scroll shop that had scrolls of sleep, I would invis wand myself then sleep lowbies who obviously had higher level alts (they were hitting low level mobs really hard and speeding through the early levels) and steal the gear off of them.  Then one day, an imm messaged me saying hey IP address at upenn.edu, you're dead meat.  I never was able to have a peaceful moment from then on and I learned an important life lesson.  Who says you don't learn life lessons from mudding.