Author Topic: Shielding Neutrals from PK wars.  (Read 7107 times)

octan

Shielding Neutrals from PK wars.
« on: January 30, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »
Seeing as to how this random pking has been happening.

I would like to present some ideas as to help this MUD flourish.  This is by no means the only ideas possible.

Objectives:
* To provide a safe environment for new and old players to explore the mud without fear of PK.

Balancing:
* To make sure these characters will not in any way affect PK wars.  Be it repopping a clans eq or helping in any PK possible.

Ideas:
* Any character when started will start out at pkable until reaching 25 (or can be level 1.)  Once reaching 25, player chooses a character flag as PKon or PKoff.
* PKon characters are basically the same as any character now.
* Pkoff characters are basically characters that cannot be PKed or cannot pk.
* When a char has their PK flag set, it is IRREVERSIBLE - to prevent characters from suddenly joining a war.

Have to set limitations on PKoff characters. These limitations are:
* Cannot have/loot anything better than limit 3 or limit 4 items.
* Once these characters do damage to a mob with said items, items will be autoflagged fast decay or decay instatly when looted by anyone, even PKon characters.

Simply put, this will allow people, even with characters that are in war have characters that are safe from persecution.  It also allows players to keep playing and have a carefree environment to explore the mud.  Characters who don't have PKon flags can still be effective and pop eq and spells.  I have witnessed several GOD/Immort alts who followed the no limit 4 and above rules and they were still really effective.

Problem is, I can only imagine the coding nightmare that this idea will entail.

Dyl

• Zoner
Re: Shielding Neutrals from PK wars.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:24:37 PM »
And if they were grouped with a normal char?  Its a giant mess of what ifs - recalling, rescuing, staves and mirrors for bonuses, ordering - they would be forced to be totally useless not to in any way impact anything.  Many people are able to get by as a neutral without (much) fear of pk - hopefully, one of those guys chimes in with some advice.

octan

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
And if they were grouped with a normal char?  Its a giant mess of what ifs - recalling, rescuing, staves and mirrors for bonuses, ordering - they would be forced to be totally useless not to in any way impact anything.  Many people are able to get by as a neutral without (much) fear of pk - hopefully, one of those guys chimes in with some advice.

why would it be a problem? the only difference I see is that if the PKon people want to pop a limit 3 and up item they do it without PKoff people.

This is actually an idea because I'm seeing too much whining.  And with the whining, too much coddling by the immorts.  I KNOW for a fact that 15 years ago the horde/shriners didn't have to put up with this much whine and harassment from immorts.

Malaki

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:44:38 AM »
I was thinking of a similar setup, but would be a choice at character creation.  And if they opted out of PK then they were basically no-hassle from all players.
- But getting down to controlling the looting, and items, and missed hits in group that hit teammates, is where i couldn't think of anything solid or easy.
- Though in the Development section on the forum, they qualify it with not worrying about the current constraints of the game mechanics as they are now.

Seeing the functionality and game play in WoW, Minecraft, and other popular multi player games, and how they handle mixing and balancing PvP and PvE

I had and still do hope for a setup like the Tournaments of long past, and having those arenas open all the time, to warp entire groups to when they engage in pk or war.
- Throw them both into a room that they cant leave or very small closed zone and let them have some fun going back and forth. 
- And have both sides set the terms of winning and losing and agreement before entering.
- Things like CRP, Coins, Gear, XP or Ranks from Players, Special titles, humorous demoralizing eq set's that are no drop no foom for a designated period of time.
For those that haven't gotten to experienced the Tournaments, they truly are really enjoyable and fun, and allow for a very different gameplay dynamic for PvP.

I expected something like that to be implemented right around the time the current Clan Tag and Clan system was implemented.  I thought it was part of the idea behind the Clan system.

-Malaki

Lyn Chen

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:10:10 AM »
I understand why some players would choose to vote in favor of such a system, I however would like to note that such a safety net eliminates one of the vital themes that keep Arctic exciting: danger. Don't get me wrong, I hate getting pk'd - especially if it's for some ridiculous reason that I feel I am not affiliated with (clan politics, etc.) However, it creates an ambition to keep forcing our chars to reach new lvl's and heights of abilities.

Remember, a PKiller is no different than you nor I other than maybe ethics. They do not have some "special" ability that we can not achieve.

I understand that we want to explore without having some randomer lurking about, but that randomer (as unfortunate as it may be at times,) adds to the excitement of gameplay.

gommer

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
one other consideration- how to train skills like disarm and banish if you are training with a friend.

If PKoff you would have to find a mob in the game that would have an elemental that you could banish repeatedly vs- a friend that would pop one up each time you needed to skill it.

just my 2 cents.

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
It is either a pk mud or not a pk mud.  There is no mixing the two.

I have been neutral most my mud life and never had much problem until I wanted to have problems.

However, there will always be a Mumu.. who gets off on randoming.. but then.. I killed mumu.. so there are ways around that too.

Form a clan of all legend thieves and leave people alone.. and they will leave you alone.. worked for BoT.  No one wants a clan of legend thieves after them.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
... until I wanted to have problems.

I think I have found the source of all problems. Damn sArT wannabees want to have problems! All the time.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »
To be honest I wasn't ever scared of BoT. :)oh and opt pk will never work in a loot corpse game.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:05:02 PM »
thieves are awful at pk unless there are stuns involved, your target is afk, resting at low hp, or mentally retarded.

if you made a clan of all legendary of any class, thief would be the one i would be the least afraid of.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 03:50:02 AM »
if you made a clan of all legendary of any class, thief would be the one i would be the least afraid of.

I put my money on: Basher clan!
10 legend punch + bash most likely win 80% of the time against 10 legends of other classes

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
A clan of Druids would rule all. #enlargemakesbashersworthless

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
A clan of Druids would rule all. #enlargemakesbashersworthless

I would take you up on a 10 round 1vs1 fight if I still had a legend naked basher! Go go legend punch! Maybe next wipe :)

I never tested +25 bash on a enlarge druid though. 

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 06:59:54 PM »
I 1vs1 a legend 20dam huma shield basher and won. Don't you ever look at my logs on sufs? A level 28 Druid could beat your basher if he has heal cloud, iceshield and enlarge easily.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 03:54:42 AM »
Honestly the best thing we could all do as a community that has known each other this long. is to just stomp someone once.. and thats it unless they ask for more, or insist "its on". The only time i ever consider pking to be a serious issue for this mud is when its so constant that it chokes out anyone who is NOT a full time player and in some cases even full time players. Kill away, kill everyone, have your fun, but if you really wanna protect this community from shrinking via pk.. just stop going overboard :p stomp them once, stomp them good, make them understand. But dont force them to sit in the inn for a week before they decide to move onto a new game. and if someone screws with you again.. stomp them good, stomp them again, then leave them the hell alone lol.

It is the repeat killing each time you log on that can be nasty. Think of it as a hunting for sport, only if you kill the prey too many times they stop giving a shit about the mud and go back to diablo, wow, league or whatever other option they have.