Author Topic: Additional Sources  (Read 7876 times)

Saint_Ronin

Additional Sources
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
I've been playing a few months-ish now and I've been searching for some extra sources for this game. I was looking for a full list of commands (other than typing help every time I get lost), an indepth map of Arctic's Krynn, and maybe a walkthrough (yeah, I'm one of those people). I've used what the main site offers repeatedly, but it's basic and I'm limited to Solace for all of that. I'd like to strike out and take a walk around the world but I don't have the best imagination to visualize the world and I get lost very quickly. If there is something, I'd really like to know. Even if it isn't something I mentioned but would help. I found a few outdated websites, but nothing great.

raf

Re: Additional Sources
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:38:26 PM »
Have you tried the caravans? It takes you from town to town so you learn the main paths. They are found on near the town exits (west gate for solace if I recall).

I think the best way to learn is just to try moving from town to town, read the descriptions (they give you hints/warnings etc) and stay on the path. Once you master the main cities/towns, start slowly branching out, these will lead you to zones. Also try to join groups to learn further.

Perhaps others can provide you other resources or tips. Good luck!

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:32:12 AM »
Here are some maps of the towns:
http://arcticmud.org/maps.php

Here is a rough map of the continent this world exists on:
http://eatmaifantasyresearch.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/ansalon_map.jpg

The world is approximately mapped onto the map I shared above, although not exactly.

patersmith

• Favorite Zone: Temple of Orcus
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »
I know this may be old school but get on a horse go south and follow the road.  Type scan and exits at every square. Use a pencil and paper.. make a map.  Read all the road signs. Always have a light and a recall!  Good adventuring.

snax

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
I know this may be old school but get on a horse go south and follow the road.  Type scan and exits at every square. Use a pencil and paper.. make a map.  Read all the road signs. Always have a light and a recall!  Good adventuring.
and take about 20 foods and 20 drinks minimum.

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »
And atleast one blondie.

Saint_Ronin

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:40 AM »
Thank you all. I looked at the maps that the game provided [read map.solace] (or however the command goes, I just trial and error it) and I found that I kept getting lost before the wipe. I couldn't ever find the rangers guild. Now I'm more comfortable with Solace, and I'll try looking for caravans or riding south. I did try going north and across the sea a few months back but I had no idea where I was.

Also the pen and paper idea crossed my mind several times, beleive me. I would actually do that if I wasn't already surrounded by folders upon folders of notes for my classes (yay graduate studies). I know they'd probably get all messed up or something, but if I did end up doing that, could I submit them to Arctic as a cartogrophy project?

I've been grinding for gold and experience, and I've found a few waterskins, but is 20 waterskins and 20 loafs a bit of an overkill, or is that an actual, realistic estimate? I used to carry four or five with me when I traveled, but I never went far.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
When exploring, plan on taking your time. Reading room descriptions, scanning, etc. having all the food/water allows you to explore for longer periods of time without having to recall back to the beginning because you are hungry.

Also, many zones are just off the beaten path...but so are many DT.

Move or enter every bush/brush you see, climb trees, swing branches, lift rocks, tug ropes, mimic the local wildlife. You never know if the room you are in is the secret entrance to the hidden ninja turtle zone.

Also, don't trust your memory. I have forgotten far more about this game than I care to admit. Taking good notes let's you keep everything straight. And use the bank...when you finally amass a couple thousand gold deposit it because death sucks...but death with all your hard earned coins sucks worse.

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »
Another good method is roll a druid and level up until you have fly. With the refresh spell you'll be able to explore a lot more ground fast and cheap. I think they come with create food and water spells so if you get lost you're OK.

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »
And you can be trashy while exploring a level 15 druid with no eq.  Learn all paths, learn paths to zones, and it doesn't matter if you accidently stumble into bashing trackers