Author Topic: Vote for Arctic!  (Read 12266 times)

Nasredin

• Immortal
Vote for Arctic!
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:13:46 AM »

Vote for Arctic! Do it, right now, then read my post!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=just

First of all, let me mention a few obvious and well known things in case anyone missed or forgot it.

Arctic is a deep, challenging and addictive game with lots of options for everyone. Solo or in a group with other players,
PvE (zoning) or PvP (pkill), explore or powerleveling - everyone can choose the playing style that gives them most fun and excitement. Most "modern" games may have beautiful graphics, great publicity and millions of players, but they lack the diversity of Arctic and become boring pretty soon.

Further on, many of us are in our 30's or even 40's (and some of us have their kids already playing Arctic with them!) We have jobs, families etc. and can't devote as much of our time to computer games as we could in our college years. In particular, that means that even if a new game comparable to Arctic appears, it will take too much time to learn the ropes, the time we don't have. An old player may return to Arctic after years of AWOL and play only a few hours per week and have fun; in a new game, they would either have to play a few hours daily on a regular basis to learn the new world and the new mechanics or remain a clueless newbie forever.

Multiplayer is one of the most important aspects of Arctic. Not to mention pkill, choosing the zoning tactics according to who you have in your group is a very interesting challenge (and one should consider not only char skills, but also player skills!) Even if you solo, there is still implicit cooperation or competition with other players. To brag how you soloed CT or Irda, you must have the audience that well understands what you're talking about and envies you a bit.

Now, Arctic is THE game for most of us, but the average number of ppl on-line tends to gradually decrease over years as the old-timers have less time that they may devote to computer games. We must get some new blood regularly to make sure the situation remains stable and the game isn't deserted.

Please use every possibility to spread a word about Arctic:
- tell your friends, especially those interested in fantasy worlds and computer games;
- write to the appropriate media (forums and wiki on fantasy or computer games sites).
Use newspapers, radio, TV - whatever you have access to;
- vote for Arctic on TMS and TMC. The higher we're in the list, the more ppl will come to have a look, and some of them will stay and become regular player.

In fact, we don't even have to be high in the voting list all the time. If we're stay in the top 5 for a week once or twice per year, it's already enough to capture the attention of the audience of TMS and TMC. Once they logon to Arctic, their e-mail is archived and they will receive our newsletter. Even if they don't stay now, they may return after getting the next e-mail to see the new features.

Finally, the beginning of the wipe is the best time to promote Arctic. We have a lot of players online, it's (relatively) easy for a newbie to find a group or get some help, and we have enough votes to get those new players. Aardwolf, #1 on TMS, gets ~100 votes daily; and Achaea, #2, gets ~50. With 50 players online, we can beat Achaea easily (even without those, who log on at different hours), and if everybody votes systematically, we may get to position #1 that we rightfully deserve.

Once again, we don't need to be #1 for the entire year. The new voting period starts tomorrow. Please vote for just ONE month, or even for only 2 weeks, but vote regularly, every day, and suddenly you will see more players around.

VOTE for Arctic NOW! Your vote IS important!

TMS:
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=just

TMC:
http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_rank.cgi?mud=Arctic

Nasredin
-----
- "Burn in the eternal reboot of Hell!"

- "Do you believe in MUD after life?"

- "Arctic is my religion. There is life after death!"

walters16

Re: Vote for Arctic!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
Mud is not even in the top 20. Lets get some people voting and bring new players to share in our fun and glory.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »
Vote for arctic! We need new people to pk: I'm sick of just killing the same 5 guys all the time.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
Can hoss/aristox please embed the URL to vote for arctic on the front page of the forums?  So when we click the forum link and the index comes up, it would be nice if the URLs were right at the very top of that page so us lazy-addicts who check the forums each day can have the link right in front of us and we can then remember to vote?  I think that would help a lot.

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:35 PM »
We could, but let me be pretty up front with all of you. The rankings on these are driven by money, not by votes.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
Not entirely true.  Another mud I've been playing while waiting for something new to happen here managed to get from the mid 30s to top 5 within a few weeks.  That said, they are back to the mid 30s because of the same problem here.... playerbase.  When you say the ones that are up top are driven by money... they also charge and have development teams which are providing new content and quests which brings more people which brings more voters.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
Hoss is a no man

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
Mud is not even in the top 20. Lets get some people voting and bring new players to share in our fun and glory.

I cannot even convince myself to play. This used to be my #1 choice for leisure activity.

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:26:08 AM »
I'm all for voting, but does anyone have any ideas about whether being in the top 5 has any measurable impact on player turnover?

Brad

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 07:29:54 AM »
I remember at one point the vote was pushed, and Arctic symbol was created/sent to the MUD gods... What came of that?
Just curious... of course I'll vote.

sart

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
I wrote my vote in on a napkin.  I assure you that it will have the same impact.

Tajs

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 06:08:43 AM »
Arctic went top 10 or so on that list and there was some anonymous donation to zuggsoft, which then put arctic's logo/emblem on their client's startup screen (or whatever it's called).

No idea whether or not it impacted on playerbase or not.