Author Topic: A graphical app for arcticmud display  (Read 4125 times)

shei

A graphical app for arcticmud display
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »
Why not create an app that displays our beloved Krynn based off of parsed mud text?

Idea
The app is your mud client, a player logs in to the mud, opens the connection, and plays the game.  I think it wise to keep "arctic as is" as an optional text display within the app, but imagine an interactive "room" containing a background splash screen with movable sprites for each mobile and object in the room.  Simple directional pads for movement, customizable hotbars for spells/skills that would allow actions and direct clicking/gestures to allow interactions with objects ( inventory, equipment, room).

Development Notes
Room Title/Name determines background choice (This requires collecting, categorizing all room names, any uncategorized can be assigned a default background)

With static backgrounds for zones, we could largely focus on 2 sets of sprites ( mobiles, objects ).

Simple player sprites, one per gender/race/class combo (Leave off gear display)
Mob sprites generalized by race (draconian, human, dragon, kender)
Generalized object sprites (sword, belt, necklace, etc)
Spell / Skill / Action icons (recall icon, glowing recall icon, chain lightning icon, etc)

These backgrounds, sprites, and objects could be expanded on later, particular designs could be sellable microtransactions, for the preservation of our shared world! (Ex. most players get the static 'dungeon' background for certain zones, but if you upgrade, you might unlock a beautifully crafted set of backgrounds tailored to the actual zone.

We may even attract a new audience, and bring people unwittingly to a world much older than they are used to.

Potential issues:
Mobile app without a useful keyboard...  As with games released on both consoles and pc, you have some subset of the console population that lack keyboards and cannot quickly input commands.  A lot of macroing and setup is involved, and that will certainly be the case here.  But many of us do a lot of setup for mud as is, aliases, triggers, scripts, etc

Object display: What happens when everyone drops all the trash they've ever collected into a single room, and then proceeds to empty their component pouches?

Anthony

Re: A graphical app for arcticmud display
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:51 AM »
Quick, call Vuddy!

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »
Can we include commands from my phones accelerometer? I juke the phone right and it goes East. I drop it and it goes Down.

My gs4 also reads eye commands. Maybe it can learn that when my brow furrows I attack someone...

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »
You would all need those new waterproof I-phones if you wanted to do Blood Shoal.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
Can we include commands from my phones accelerometer? I juke the phone right and it goes East. I drop it and it goes Down.

My gs4 also reads eye commands. Maybe it can learn that when my brow furrows I attack someone...

going into a dt because the bus lurches sounds funny as long as it happens to someone else

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:22:26 PM »

going into a dt because the bus lurches sounds funny as long as it happens to someone else

lol didnt think of that. Or i flick my eyes in some direction because i see massive cleavage and arrested for harrassment because I scream "damn your boobs!" at her on said bus...