Author Topic: potions, sip vs quaff  (Read 5808 times)

gulca

• Zone Leader
potions, sip vs quaff
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »
This is a more down to earth idea:

Quaff <potion>:
Full duration of spell (no change)

Sip <potion>:
1/4 of potion sip'ed with 1/4 of duration of spell, or if it is cure then 1/4th of cured hps
Chance of failure (ie sip didn't do anything).
Potion disappears after 4th sip.
Potions that aren't full becomes no rent.

I'll let people with imaginations come up with the advantages and disadvantages.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Re: potions, sip vs quaff
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
i like this idea, but i imagine that it would be a huge pain in the ass to implement

Brad

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:37:46 PM »
Code for this i think would be simple. Potions are tagged with spell names right? split the spell you get the first roll into 4 and tag the potion with that number(send that number as a response to the function). Then implement a counter loop for the rest of the charges. 3 lines of code(In Matlab, the only language I know).

Another line for the failure roll on sip, another for the no_rent and "(used)" flag, so like 5 lines of actual code.

Upon writing the last sentence ^^^ I remembered that it was always the simple things that took the longest to fix...but, It is still a good idea.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:24 PM »
isn't it easier to just load more potions?

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
Maybe for elite solo paladins!

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »
isn't it easier to just load more potions?

Just for Alector since it's wipe day and I feel good.

Uses:
1. You die. You buy a flight potion from shop to reach the zone of your death. Only problem is, its underwater. So you have to sit there for 10 to 20 min waiting for fly to wear out. Now, if you can just "sip" the potion to get to that room and wait 1/4 of the time, wouldn't it be sweet?

2. You have a heal potion in your chest. You and your buddy are fighting a targeting mob. You sip the potion, curing 1/4 of your hp and pass it over to your buddy who was tanking. He takes 2 sips and pass it back to you.

3. You have a sacred ward potion. There is a big caster fight and your crappy healer doesn't have sacred ward to prep up the group. You sip the potion once, and give it to 3 other people in your group. Once every one got their sacred ward, you charge into the room gunning for glory!

4. You and your buddies were fighting Galazor and he cloud kill the group. Half the group were poison. You quickly whip out your cloudy potion and take a sip and pass it around for ck'ed members.

5. You killed a draconian with a key in his corpse. There is a big chest in the room. You unlock and find a weird looking potion. Wondering what it was, you take a sip. Blast the gods, you are blinded! Lucky you only have to wait 1/4 of the normal duration from blind. Now you have a 3/4 blind potion in your chest.

Notice that loading more potion isn't always necessary the only point.

Cosmo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:34:38 PM »
Probably one of your better crazy ideas over the last few months, Seb!

A few potions should probably be 1 sip, since spells like rem poison don't have 1/4 effects (unless 1/4 of poison effects/duration removed each sip?)

Shouldn't you be getting your scripts ready for the wipe! :)

sart

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »
Down boys.. he is taken.

I just want to sip the green vial from bandit camp...

Anthony

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:15 AM »
An enterprising zone creator could do this with an item spec.

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
Good idea but the benefit is huge....Maybe a significant decrease in effect proportional to the huge benefit of multi usage. Re-corking 7 year old wine doesnt mean its just as good two weeks later.

Sips are also subjective. Evil people probably take bigger sips. Good people are dumb and cant manage to focus on anything practical....like subtraction and division. Therefore "charges" should be random als.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »
Good idea but the benefit is huge....Maybe a significant decrease in effect proportional to the huge benefit of multi usage. Re-corking 7 year old wine doesnt mean its just as good two weeks later.

Sips are also subjective. Evil people probably take bigger sips. Good people are dumb and cant manage to focus on anything practical....like subtraction and division. Therefore "charges" should be random als.

1. There is a chance of sip not working. So you might need to sip twice or three times to get the effect.
2. Evil people (as in rl) can sip twice or three times. No reason to take your actions into the alignment.
3. Once you sip a "full" potion, it turns into no-rent. Maybe add in a fast decay after sipping for balancing purpose?

Permanent spell effect like rem poison/curse would still work as is. Remember there is a chance of the sip not doing anything.