Author Topic: Casting Level - Spell Slot Gear  (Read 15010 times)

Attai

• Immortal
Re: Casting Level - Spell Slot Gear
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »
Disclaimer:  I haven't talked to Hoss about any of this yet, so do not consider this as a made decision, just me joining the discussion.

What if CL were removed and the bonuses it inferred were instead linked to common stats?

The New Intelligence:
-Continues to influence mem times and learning.
-All damage spells use intelligence of caster to determine damage done. The level-based calculations are removed in favor of INT based calcs.
-Affect power of buff spells tied to intelligence instead of level (number of mirror images, distance of locate object, enchant item, etc).
-Affect power of debuff spells tied to intelligence (weaken, jinx, etc).

The New Wisdom:
-Affect durations of offensive spells (stuns, holds, etc) are now tied to wisdom instead of level.
-Affect durations of buff spells are now tied to wisdom instead of level.
-Number of area targets hit is tied to wisdom. Each will hit a minimum of 2 targets and they get WIS/3 extra targets, so with 14 wis you would hit 14/3 + 2 = 5 targets.  With 27 wis you would hit 27/3 + 2 = 11 targets.
-Ability to relocate to non-grouped, non-clanned targets is tied to a specific wisdom level (25?, 24?).

What we end up with is a system that doesn't impose a stat with one huge purpose, we make mage's need gear to be effective and we create a bit more competition for wisdom/int gear (sorry clerics and druids!).  Honestly, the same concept could be applied to Clerics, Druids, Shaman (sub in CHA for WIS?), DKs and Paladins without much trouble, and that might be a great thing.

Just a thought.

Oh look I suggested something exactly like this a couple years ago to curb trash mages and instead we got casting level crap

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »
I'm more inclined to favor Chisul's idea. Add more spell save/magic damage reduction gear for classes across the board. However, don't add those stats to gear that is going to make a character very strong offensively. Gear becomes less of a rat race for "the best" and becomes tailored for versatility and/or min-maxing.

True, if both magic users are strong against magic themselves then a duel may end in a stalemate. I don't see this as much of a problem however. A magic user with gear strong against magic is limited against melee classes and in PvE. The only magic using targets he can attack (and win) are those weak against magic.

The solution doesn't end trash maging, but it does make a group who is on their toes with balanced gear mitigate the effect of trash to non-existence.

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 12:13:54 AM »
How about a chance of spell failure when a spell is directed against a single player?

The idea being that stacked mages that have the potential to do 400+ damage per round against a single (player) target also have a, significant but not impossible, chance to fail cast (or the player can have the same chance roll for a save...whichever implementation works better)

Area spells would not carry this risk of failure.

This could help to reduce the one-hit-kill style hits some mages are able to employ but not reduce their effectiveness in player vs player combat totally.

On a side note, I'm also not a big fan of removing relocate / teleport to non grouped/guilded players. Add lag to these spells, yes, but remove their efficacy overall? I think it'd make it too difficult for a mage to hunt down targets and compete effectively in the pk realm.

sart

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 01:25:07 PM »
What are you talking about.. I think they should totally be able to random poof you with a basher tethered and cast thunderbolt immediately on arrival for free.

We deserve no chance against them.. they are mages!

They should be able to relo to any mob they wish too!  Make anchor stronger...

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »
I think I am done with this thread, about 3 pages ago.