Author Topic: Playing next wipe, serious thoughts and reservations investigated  (Read 11700 times)

snax

TLDR; "Am crazy, playerbase is the problem and there is a chance that no code or wipe will fix it without getting to the true root cause"

This wipe has marked my greatest departure from the game in many years.  The era of newbies feels over.  I lack any numbers to validate that claim, however I can only examine my own anecdotal findings over the years.  When Shayds was a group zone, and only a handfull of imms or mortals could lead it (as with any other zone at SOME point in time), I enjoyed being part of the groups, and enjoyed the exploration and the fact I wasn't aware of all the changes.

I think one of the biggest eye openers for me, and a few gaming associates, was realizing how crippled we were in knowledge.  It wasn't just so bad that we didn't know x y or z.  What really sucked was the mentality of the game's pokemasters, where everyone wants to trade up, and everyone has "gotta catch it all".  I know that in a good 50-100 runs on itharr this wipe I didn't happen upon a set piece.  Other items that are mediocre also required amazing amounts of spamming.  I know that despite my personal best I failed to ever get a light essence for one of the (fewer and fewer each wipe) players who would reliably group with me.

Then we hit on the botting and multying topic.  My eyes got opened up to how absolutely pervasive this aspect of the game is.  Years, and YEARS of shouting for a group, going certifiably batshit crazy, feeling insecure, blah blah --- the same top tier players who wouldn't clear a slot in their groups back then, weren't in any hurry to include little old me.  And that's fine, cause just like in real life my gaming evolution has been somewhat erratic, deprecative, and frought with more fails than successes.  But, as my eyes widened I realized "hell these guys are all bots" (admittedly that is partially flawed logic, but only partially)

Again, I lack any solid metrics, but I know that in my limited self-experienced play of this game that I am not entirely alone in some of these feelings.  I do know that those who botted, and as far as I would judge (given the authority to do so) were asshats in their botmaxery of everything obtainable.

It's a sad state when the world merchant has better gear than most of the zones I can run or lead for me personally.  It's also a sad state when the grouping mentality is so incompatible with my preferences in a game.

So, I have some serious reservations, and am generally doing well in my real life.  But, I'm not trying to threaten or bitch or moan or whine for the game to cater to me, I just don't know if it still is something that...in light of some of the thoughts i rambled on earlier, and some that I didn't care to elaborate, I just don't know man.  I don't know. 

I probably won't rush, and if I don't rush I probably won't be in a position to get xp under a failed system that is PLAYER initiated. 

Aristox, Hoss, (Morgan, Terk, hell just about every imm for that matter...)  I don't very often see eye to eye with your wavelengths. but I'm not saying I'm the most balanced person.  However I do propose that even if you could sell hero cookies (ala adam/riverwind style) at the world merchant for 1 coin each - this action would not be sufficient to fix the systemic disease that players have brought to the game.

I'll be on eden eternal as cissaru, and I'll probably be at my local fast food restaraunt flipping burgers and wrapping them in my college degrees while I continue just living life.

I definately would like to see the source on git-hub one day, and maybe I'll get a chance to make a zone then that sucks.

Rally ho.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
Re: Playing next wipe, serious thoughts and reservations investigated
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:53:17 AM »
Its a shame to see you so disillusioned, snax.  I had fun grouping with you even when we mass-ripped.  The good news about the current state of the game is it is essentially like a wipe - the current numbers have made most of the decent gear available in-game again and most of the ranks are fresh.  As a person who loves to solo it has actually been kinda nice to log for 30-40 minutes, get some cash rankings and gear, and then be able to rent.  In fact, I'm gonna make a character now, level it to 10, then delete it, just because I like the early part of the game.
Take care

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
I'd like to say that botting is more of a recent phenom but I remember one of my earlier wipes in the mid 90's grouping with Labatt/Glod all the time (Ulik the most worthless druid out there with 12 int) and finding out that he was running a second account on his roommates computer in the dorm room. Sure it's not as complex as the botting is now but it fell under the same category of multi playing. The problem that we're seeing in the past few wipes is that numbers are so far down that the players who bot are able to get a huge advantage over those who don't.  So we see the problem with people not grouping with shouting players because there is no need for them to group you. They have a healbot for their warrior or barb and can do everything on their own. Sad.

Not sure who you are but if you've been around that long I'm sure I've run across you in some form or fashion. Hope to see you out there after the wipe (which I'm sure Aristox and Hoss are planning.)

sart

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
[You need to make a thief.]

Playing a thief is the only thing that has kept me even half way interested in this game.  It turns it into a solo game where friends are there for companionship through clan tells and if you really need a hand. 

However, even if I logged on and looked at who and I was the only one playing.. my experience would not change much... I could still legend.. I could still get every piece of eq my thief wears at my high point.

There is still a ton to learn.. Hell I have played 20 years and learned more this wipe than I would have ever dreamed... Just make a legend thief and get ready to die a lot.. but it is all in fun.

??????

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:10:50 AM »
So we see the problem with people not grouping with shouting players because there is no need for them to group you. They have a healbot for their warrior or barb and can do everything on their own. Sad.

One big incentive of having bots instead of real players (that are not your inner mud group) is the zone secret stays.

How many random shouts have you seen this wipe that says forming group for blood shoal?

If you can't do it with people you trust, you either do it with bots or you don't do it at all.

So as long as there are secrets to keep, you'll find that it is hard for neutral/new players to enjoy the high end game with existing clans.

snax

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
[You need to make a thief.]

Playing a thief is the only thing that has kept me even half way interested in this game.  It turns it into a solo game where friends are there for companionship through clan tells and if you really need a hand. 

And I will respond you are a damn fine thief/ which is why I tried to get you to clan with me a year or two or three ago.

Rally ho!

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »
i've played arctic actively (and i use the word actively, but on and off would work) for just over ten years. when i first started i knew basically nothing. here's the short version of how i got from knowing nothing, to knowing more than most in what many consider to be a short time.

1) i befriended a good player who knew a lot. swallow your pride, accept you know very little. be smart.

2) log everything, pay attention. this is especially pertinent for when you're zoning with different leaders. leaders will try and hide things, but it's inevitable each will give away something different about the zone. just like pokemon, you've gotta catch them all.

3) find like-minded people with a similar level of game knowledge, and start exploring. be prepared to die, a lot. i wear many of my deaths as a badge of honor, because you often learn more in death than you do from avoiding it.

4) be brave. often i hear people say things like "that zone is too hard", "we need more people". man up, go outside the box. legendary characters are capable of a lot these days. barring a few areas, there's no reason not to go there. the sooner you let go of the fear of losing equipment the better.

5) go everywhere. and i do mean everywhere. i have systematically sent myself into every single deathtrap in the game (that i have found), because some of them are not deathtraps. you will find places you never knew existed. if you can think of a path that you don't know 100% where it leads, walk it.

do all of these and before long you'll find you're no longer shouting for group, but in fact receiving tells randomly from people you've never met asking if you have a spot in your group or doing anything interesting. people will try and say that I only solved what i know through using a proxy to cheat which is completely false, but even if it were true, one good friend would play the exact same role.

tl;dr:     mosquitos are drawn to the light of lanterns, just like players are drawn to those who aren't afraid to brave the unknown. go and explore the world.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:58:36 PM by daniel_1 »

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
If you don't know where 80% of the death traps are, you don't know much about this game.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
I always thought 80% of the deathtraps in the game were in argand's keep...

Oligo

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 11:59:19 PM »
Dirim's Peak is another 10% of DT's in Arctic.