Author Topic: October 20th, 2013 - Looking Forward  (Read 27578 times)

Cosmo

Re: October 20th, 2013 - Looking Forward
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Wipe: Agreed it's time for a wipe - been 7 months now. Wasn't the plan to wipe every 6 months? Like many players, I usually play the first 4-5 months each wipe, get a couple chars to legend+ and then lose interest. (2-week notice so we can dump our gfs and quit our jobs is good idea as suggested above!)

XP: The xp-table at the start of last wipe was a bit much (reminded me of mid-90s). Not sure how it was after 'the correction' since my chars were 1x anyways. If you're determined to increase the xp/level, another vote for a gradual xp-curve. Perhaps levels 1-10 last wipe's xp table, 11-20 slight increase, 21-26 bigger increase, 27-30 lay the hurt. (I do like the idea of some nasty xp requirements for the last few levels. Make level 30 mean something again!)

- Cosmo
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:55:21 PM by Cosmo »

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
About scout elimination, did you guys consider grouping them into a single class? I don't think current scout has anything related to old ranger except for the bow aspect?

Imagine this, the new scout have access to all 3 path. They have a path change skill with cool down (8 ticks) to switch in between the paths. Lower their effectiveness (so they are really good at a particular aspect and suck at others) to something like

sky: hard bash / evade & bow expert
ocean: no bash in water / defense expert
mtn: hard bash on land / damage expert

Rangers can come in as an extra class.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
About scout elimination, did you guys consider grouping them into a single class? I don't think current scout has anything related to old ranger except for the bow aspect?

I think the problem that scouts have always had is that they are nearly impossible to balance effectively. Minor changes can make them overpowered very easily because of scaling...especially once legend kicked in. In my opinion the instincts have never really fit into the mud history/theme. Don't get me wrong, I loved all 3 paths of the scout, but my first love was for Rangers and I hope that they will come back with some aspects of scouts (a few scout skills are good) but with their own unique flair that is more suited for the game.

Sean

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »
When you think of rangers in Dragonlance you think automatically of Tanis - he wasn't embracing the instincts of other animals in the story, he was just a deeply troubled man who happened to be pretty good with a bow and a sword.  Obviously the ability to track people is hugely important in pk, and some scout skills (like the "scout" skill) could be easily imagined as port of Tanis' repertoire.  I don't think it needs a complete gutting, but I think the instinct idea, while neat, pulled away from the original ideas of the books. 

They should have limited tanking (via skills like parry/fence) and considerable damage, with no "combat" healing but SOME healing power outside of the fight (camp, bandage, perhaps making minor cure potions from local foliage).

Ranger was my favorite class in the 90s, and I immorted with a ranger.  I still fondly remember soloing Grap with 2 leather-handled foils as the highlight of my early mudding career...I will be glad to see them back.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
When you think of rangers in Dragonlance you think automatically of Tanis - he wasn't embracing the instincts of other animals in the story, he was just a deeply troubled man who happened to be pretty good with a bow and a sword.  Obviously the ability to track people is hugely important in pk, and some scout skills (like the "scout" skill) could be easily imagined as port of Tanis' repertoire.  I don't think it needs a complete gutting, but I think the instinct idea, while neat, pulled away from the original ideas of the books. 

They should have limited tanking (via skills like parry/fence) and considerable damage, with no "combat" healing but SOME healing power outside of the fight (camp, bandage, perhaps making minor cure potions from local foliage).

Ranger was my favorite class in the 90s, and I immorted with a ranger.  I still fondly remember soloing Grap with 2 leather-handled foils as the highlight of my early mudding career...I will be glad to see them back.

I miss hide/sneak + bashing specifically.

I also miss old paladins a LOT.

Edit* actually while we're on the subject: what are the chances old paladin code is still around? Would there ever be the possibility of reinstating the class under another name (champion perhaps?)? I don't think it would be considered broken or out of place in today's game.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:40:01 PM by corey »

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 07:54:47 PM »
I also miss old paladins a LOT.

Edit* actually while we're on the subject: what are the chances old paladin code is still around? Would there ever be the possibility of reinstating the class under another name (champion perhaps?)? I don't think it would be considered broken or out of place in today's game.

I'm guessing that the old paladin code must be around because there are still mobs out there which bash and lay.

dp

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
Well, one way to reduce the number of posts by inactives is to delete their forum accounts.  Oh, wait....

I'd think imms should consider the proposed game mechanics and zone changes as something that just slows the player flow out.  I find it hard to believe that it'd remotivate any retired or infrequent players to really get back in it.  That being said, a new wipe might tempt me- the rush, the number of players, the opportunity to play with different people, lots of stuff I like- but it probably won't.

Honestly I quit playing because I just couldn't understand the logic behind some of the fundamentals.  I'll never see why it makes sense that if a player can get to a certain drop and beat a mob, that the player should be denied an item due to an arbitrary limit.  If "too many" of something unbalances the game, it seems like zero of them would balance just fine.

Bro

• Guardian
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
I think once the playerbase is consistently down in numbers to a certain point there is some risk of players leaving for good without either significant changes to the game to spice things up, or a pwipe. I haven't played this wipe other than logging in briefly to see if anyone I know is on to chat about life etc, but even those attempts have been futile, for whatever reasons. I'd likely start a character if it wiped, but there's just no reason to invest time into the game today for someone without a character. The numbers are just too low to consider it a viable use of my gaming tme.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
Should Give Rangers the ability to "Shoot North" and fire some arrows from a distance : p pew pew pew

endiel

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »
So I went to wikipedia and could not find an entry for Arctic
Wikipedia has had Arctic entry, but consensus was to delete the page.

Wikipedia isn't really encyclopedia about everything, it has somewhat strict 'notability' requirement. So although Arctic is important for us, it is not much notable outside our circle. That is, hardly anyone will ever need to find out "what is Arctic Mud".

In order to get the arcticle back, would pretty much need printed media / book references, or a few established online parties writing about the mud. Folks didn't really find thus last time the entry was removed.

- Lasse

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
I'm also hoping there is a quick wipe that last like 2 - 3 months (with minimal changes). Then wipe it again when there are enough substance for code change.

A loaded player base always attract new comers. And with everyone being low level, it is the best time for them to find groups and enjoy the mud.

Everyone need to take an oath to vote once a day for the 1st wipe month.

Nostramazos

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »

Aristox and Hoss:

Great news. Maza is supporting you all the way and I bet we will see some old Mazas return with these changes.

XP Table: I was happy about the XP tables so ignore the barking of those players who want to spend the first 15 minutes of a wipe leveling to 30 and then the next 10 days playing non-stop to pop the coveted black adamantine inscribed spoon of doom and disaster. You have foiled their plans and they will get much needed sleep, thus won't be cranky for the rest of the wipe. Even more, it is not a secret that Maza opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Scouts: Keep the legendary monsters, they are fun to battle. Maybe make them aggro and let one loose in Solace sewers.

Zones: Looking forward to the "refurnishing" of current zones. I will reiterate my opinion that in game feedback will increase excitement of exploration. Make "huh?" disappear or at least make it a definite indication that the item we try to look for does not exist in the room.

PK: PK is an important theme which seemed to be missing from Hoss' preliminary statements on Arctic's major changes. Maza Nostra is concerned and would gladly wear T-Shirts reading "You don't need to pk me, I will die on my own" for the remainder of wipes before LUBE.

LUBE: That name will definitely bring some Mazas back...hide your buttocks!

Pwipe: Everyone. Stop asking for Aristox and Hoss to pwipe. I am still keeper of the red button and I will use it when I see fit. It is still very amusing to see Reed and others make one argument and then pretend that they are speaking for the whole Arctic community. So I will allow him to post some more until my laughing quota for October is fulfilled. Because in Maza we never laugh in vain.

This is Nostramazos and I approve this message.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
best post, give that man a cookie

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »
I agree with Nostramazos...keep the legend scout mobs, if only so I can be ganked by the damn manticore again when I accidentally area it and get bounced out of the room.  Besides, think how frustrating it will be for people 10 years from now who don't understand why spirits show up for some random rank mobs in the game (see crytic owl quest).

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »
20 people out of 100 are playing right now. I would say at least 80%   of the player base would like a pwipe. I see over 100 people on every pwipe and believe it or not more people equals more fun.

About the XP tables artistox/hoss Everyone but a hand full of people hate the XP tables. I killed over 40 people in August and the only complaints I got were " shit, now I have to go re XP for another 2-3 hours".   I liked that you made leveling harder but you made it  pretty ridiculous. I would like to hear why you guys are so against finding a median between the old and new XP tables.