Author Topic: new dargard keep great  (Read 12976 times)

gulca

• Zone Leader
new dargard keep great
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »
There is no place for zone feedback.

I have not fully explored the keep, but from just walking around solo around the tower part and peeking at Soth, I like it. The old soth keep was really bland. There is this option of choosing between changing a zone to an impossible 100 kw (like terzak) and just making it more lively (unique name mobs). New soth keep is very much the latter.

Soth is one of the iconic figure in Dragonlance lore and the new zone does it justice.

Two thumbs up and I hope the revamp effort wasn't too long and time-consuming. It would be great to see more zones (ie especially zones that uses a lot of same mob id (copy and paste)) getting similar revamp.

Kir

• Zoner
Re: new dargard keep great
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:21:37 PM »
I agree, everybody seems to enjoy new Dargaard zone.

I would love to see a revamp of thordbardin and icewall that is more related to their very detailed and specific descriptions according to the lost chronicles trilogy. Icewall is basically nothing like its supposed to be, and thordbardin could be very interesting if created like the book describes... 7 different clans of the dwarves, hylar theiwar neidar daergar etc etc all living together in one city with a ruling council lead by Hornfel, with the shady clans like theiwar and daergar always plotting against hornfel and the hylar, could be a really cool mid level zone to entice newer players once they get out of solace. Who will code? I cant remember if it was Vuddy or Muddy, one of the two...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:33:34 AM by Kir »

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
Vuddy will code

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:06:39 AM »
to be honest, the zones that really need the revamp are like

shadow, xak tsaroth (needs a revamp like a mother bapter, honestly. try teleporting around the zone some time for a laugh) and largus... all three of them are just old and crusty.

i'd love to be able to help with creation but i think learning how to do the mob specs is quite difficult or at least the inference that was made to me. if there's a way to learn and anyone wants to point me in the right direction, i'd love to revamp/make some zones. even if they were like, level 10 zones!

Helati

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
The specs on mobs aren't "hard" per se. You just have to do a lot of bug testing. A lot of spec skeletons can be repeated once perfect with message changes to really add depth to a zone.

The hardest part, for me, at least, was not burning out on writing descriptions for things. A paragraph for each room. A paragraph for each mob. A paragraph for each object. A description for each possible noun in a room description.

I had a fully flushed out zone on creation port after my revamp of Vogler, and literally killed myself with descriptions. From what I was told by a few notable mentors of mine, a giant chunk of zones never get finished due to burn out during the description writing.

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »
On that note, why not see if there are volunteers to help write descriptions?

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:07 AM »
I would gladly help write rdescs, don't even need creation port access, just let whoever is rewriting the zone and I exchange email addresses.  I know that having someone write 10 extra descriptions of a swampy room that are different will make doing that zone more exciting.

That said, please don't ever let Reorx write rdescs again.  His zones are great, but a 500+ word rdesc is a bit much...

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 04:39:49 PM »
Sign me up for that too.

Sanjuro

• Overseer
  • Fodder
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:05:11 PM »
it's good to hear that you enjoy new dargaard. that (plus a healthy rise in the number of player deaths) makes it all worthwhile.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »
it's good to hear that you enjoy new dargaard. that (plus a healthy rise in the number of player deaths) makes it all worthwhile.

Yes, I did a 9 solo cr attempts that cost me 1 de-level (1 death away from the 2nd de-level). Lost my superb skills and about 50mill xp in less than half hour. Fun times :)

Now I'm an expert at cr at the keep and I'm really afraid of ghosts and wraiths.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Halloween must be a tough time for you...