Author Topic: A familiar sight after so many years  (Read 10222 times)

valko

A familiar sight after so many years
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
The first time I pointed my telnet client to mud.arctic.org, I was in fifth grade. I turned 30 last month... hadn't thought of the game in years (a decade?) and hadn't played seriously since high school.

Last night, on a whim, I randomly decided to see if anything was going down on port 2700. I was thrilled to be greeted with that same familiar connection screen, and even more thrilled to realize that I still (very roughly) know my way around Palanthas. I guess MUDding's like riding a bike -- you get rusty, but you never forget.

The simple act of pummeling lowly rats and maggots in the graveyard brought back a flood of fond memories. I can't really tell you how thrilled I am that Arctic's still around. It looks like the numbers have dwindled (remember back when we had nearly 200 users online at once on a regular basis?!) but I'm happy to see that there are still a bunch of faithful players out there.

This isn't an "unretirement" post - time's hard to come by these days - but I enjoyed my brief visit last night and I'm looking forward to coming back on a more regular basis.

Lastly, HUGE kudos to the admins and players who've kept this game up and alive over these years. It really is a work of art. You all rock.

Andrew

Saint_Ronin

Re: A familiar sight after so many years
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 12:51:54 PM »
Well, I'm in no position to say this, but welcome back. I'm a new face to the game, and to be honest it's nice to hear that people who have played it back in the early days still enjoy it. It gives me a bit more hope that this isn't going to be a game that fades into the aether because nobody felt like going back to it.

Again, welcome back. Happy Belated Birthday as well.

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:08:41 AM »
Welcome back man!  If you do need anything gimme a tell. Look for Gargamel/Esky.

xellos

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
gargamel highlighted

eli

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
Joke is played out.