Author Topic: How did you learn about Arctic?  (Read 15857 times)

Saint_Ronin

How did you learn about Arctic?
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »
I learned about Arctic when I had finished the Dragonlance Chronicles series. I went searching for Dragonlance related things and I came across the trailer for the movie (it just looked disappointing). One comment stood out to me though. A comment about a game, Arctic. I looked at it, and it seemed like what I was looking for, a kind of dungeon crawler that wasn't about the graphics, the many flashy skills, or the cusomization of the character, but rather something that involved actual thinking and something I could play with other people without having to pay.

I was never able to get into D&D, though I wanted to. I never found a group that was commited and had a time table that worked with my schedule. This works out well, and it's been a long time since I played a mud. I didn't get far, but I also didn't have a good experience. I left it after having no idea what the game even was, or how to play because the community would rather weed out the newbies than teach them how to play. Even the Admin, go figure.

Now I'm enjoying what I've been doing (though not much). I'm just hanging around the starting towns and gaining levels before I strike out on adventures, though I'm more inclined to learn the controls before a dragon chases me around Krynn.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
Re: How did you learn about Arctic?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »
I was introduced to Arctic in 1999 by a Malaysian student (He played Altraz for any other old schoolers) I met while attending university. I too read all the books and I was blown away at how cool it was to actually play a character in Ansalon.

I remember finding the pirate tree in Tarsis and my first completed quest (red thorn) after multiple failed attempts. Players like Caraj, Glenn and others saving me from the wings of sorrow...and the first time someone speed walked me from Sol to Pal in one tick. So many great memories playing then and now. Except now the challenge has shifted from red longswords and rusty knives to rank hopping and the joy of creating a legendary character.

This game is still the very best.

RichE

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
I was introduced to Arctic by a friend Scott and his friend Matt. Don't talk to them anymore... few things that i still remember is that I cased a person at palanthas square and someone held me and killed me. Then we tried lvling in Aghar caverns but the leader with coin ring armor just annihilated us. I was soo pissed, some god controlled the mob and tried talking to us when we CR'd.

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
I found out from a good friend of mine named Jay. Who I guess found out from btown.  I spent hours watching him play begging him to slow down so I could finish reading the descriptions.  I think he got tired of playing so he let me start my own character....I was hooked.  Funny enough the game taught me to type.  As well as the ability to take in a vast amount of text and pick out what you need from it...helps in school.  That was in the late 90's? i think.  btown / Jay can correct me if I'm wrong.   

Brad

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »
I was a freshman in college in 1992 when my high school buddies (all at other schools) introduced me to mudding.  We had played D&D in middle school but it had fallen by the wayside in high school.  I was pretty dedicated to sloth dikumud when they all started playing arctic with them in 1993.  I got all the way to level 25 pretty much just running flotsam and the old tarsis sewers (the one with the dragon).  Over time everyone else stopped playing but I kept logging in and at least getting a titled character every wipe.  20 years later I still play (and am hoping to be the 2nd person to ever hit rank 50).

eli

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
I was introduced to the game by Ayeka (a 34 at one time, created two zones and famously left the files open to google). It was 1996 and I was 13 years old. I remember some jerk tricking me in to typing 'k peacekeeper' and dying quite quickly. Then someone showed me the frozen guardian in the sewers and I proceeded to run that a gazillion times a day for the coins. I felt so elite. I recall waking up ever morning and getting to the frozen guardian knowing that it was likely to be up.

In true arctic addict fashion, I was vacationing on Cape Cod one summer but wanted to play so bad that I threw a tantrum and my parents sent me home. That night my druid got stone skin which was my biggest accomplishment to date. This was way back when it loaded on Aegis. The 30v30 fights Brotherhood vs Shriners.. Getting from Neraka to Balifor in 15 rooms.. fearing Yants and his black mace... dying so much that my druid had 171 max hp at one point.

Good times.. good times.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »
Back in the early 90's my friends Jigmae, Bodhi and I were into Rifts RPG (tattoo atlantean slave for the win) and then transitioned into online games--Warcraft II was the game that had the community that brought us into the MUD scene. One of Jigmae's War2 friends introduced us to it in '95 and we got hooked in early '96.

Sean

sart

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »
Back in the 1960s there was this bartender chick in shanghai that had an arctic tattoo... I told her I would try it if she became my 4th wife.

She agreed.

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »
my older brother and his friends played arctic in high school which would have been like, '98-'99 or so.

i played around for maybe 2-3 months during that time period and got to level 10-15 at the highest and then quit. i came back around 2003 and have been playing ever since on and off. i am by many peoples standards, a newbie!

i remember one of my brothers friends was invisible and of course being a newbie, i wasn't detect invis. so he told me as "someone" that he was an immortal and that if i didn't leave the peace of tarsis forge (which was peace then) in the next minute i would be deleted, and of course when i left he killed me. fun times!

Ericj

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
I remember my buddy Tribys finding Cabre in Solace and wanted the gear, he was only level 12 and was the highest character out of all of us who played.  He followed Cabre around Solace for almost 3 hours in hopes Cabre hit the Solace Tree DT.  Funny part is it actually DT'd!!!!!

Stride

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »
I started playing in 95 after reading the dragon lance books.  I was like, someone has to have made a game for this, it's too cool to not have a game!  I got on and hung around tarsis, loved the secret tower of illusions or whatever to level up to 10.  I Liked the comraderie that happened back then.  Finally got into KOS after trying for a couple of years and then it fell apart. I quit playing for like 5 yrs and then started up again about 3 yrs ago!

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 09:59:19 AM »
I use to watch my brother play from a distant.  and I would be like "that's not a sword its just words"  "that game is STUPID"

Then one day I was like how the hell does he keep playing that dumbass game.  I was like dude let me play just to see what you are doing..

He made me create my first character ever.... Rumbard..   I believe I made it a barbarian hence the Rum-bard.

I started in haven and he showed me where the cliff was with boys and girls..  one by one I pushed them to their deaths gaining massive xp!  even to a first timer I was shocked at the good xp I was getting.  I wasn't in haven long,  we met some people.

Iinen
Valor
Drelin
Quinthers
 and some others I wish I could recall.   Iinen and Valor was a great mud friends,  Drelin was cool but shady like kinda guy.. Quinthers was the ENEMY!!!  we had many palanthas battles...  oh the fun of the old days

Also Selik use to be a fun guy.. friend and enemy at times.. DAS BOOTS as he would say :P

endiel

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
Read arcticle on computer magazine about how nice MUDs are in general, and had read quite a few Dragonlance novels and played AD&D.

A while later got internet access, found mudlist from USENET, picked first Dragonlance mud there, and never really left. Most of the RPG group joined as well.

'A' is rather good starting character.

- Lasse

Rinad

• Immortal
  • Favorite Zone: Deep Mines
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
1993- 20 Years and Month ago.  I was in Intro to CS engineering class.  There was this guy playing games during class and I was like wtf is that.  He introduced me to Tarsis, I pissed off a Shriner they killed me, I joined OIL and played that wipe.   Well about  2 weeks later this guy Sam sat next to me in lab and was like what are you playing, I tell him Arctic Mud.   He joins in becomes one the main Shriners, Cerro and a few others IIRC.  I moved on to the Black Dragon clan and all their analogs, until I met Leland (Cinid).   He also started playing on my computer and became a regular.   

Coleman

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
Back around 1993 I started playing various muds, looking for something to sate my love of old school games like zork, adventure.
I'd read a bunch of the Weis/Hickman DL books years before, and found Arctic mud.

I recall my first few moments on the mud, waking out of the Solace in, and getting caught in a PK battle between Phu Clan (Raphael and Dalamar?) and someone else - and getting killed with Prismatic Spray - I knew this was unlike any other mud I'd tried so far.

I hobbled around for that wipe barely learning the ropes while playing a gimp ranger, with other newbies Strathaar and Kanute.
I recall the next few wipes tanking a zillion Silvanesti runs for Lasse's mage Endiel, and learning the ropes for real with Pyrkaige and Strathaar.

Right as the Pathfinder clan was formed, I pissed off the Black Dragons by summoning and healing Joong during a PK battle, and subsequently joined the glorious order of the Fez.  Played with the Tarsis Shriners for a few years until we left the mud en masse, looking for the Next Big Thing(TM).

I've have popped in every few wipes since to solo, or play with whoever wants to hang with a cranky old fart who forgets more than he remembers of this often great, more often annoying, and on days like today - crash-tastic game.