Author Topic: Skills that Don't Train  (Read 9561 times)

reed23

• Zone Leader
Skills that Don't Train
« on: August 27, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »
I appreciate the Imm's concern with skills that were rediculous to train.  I personally have noticed a huge difference in the ones that were listed.

I also have noticed that Parry is still rediculous to train and literally takes 20-40 hours or pure skilling to get the skill to supurb.  The unfortunate thing about parry is it is dependant upon weapon skill, and therefore, cannot be really trained from the start.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: Skills that Don't Train
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »
Hi Reed,

If parry is anything like fence, it has a very weird style of training. Find the right mobs, and move on to the next one. Drop me a tell if this is not clear enough.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:26:28 AM »
I don't know about fence, but parry, even with a high hp, low dex rankmob, takes hours of training.  Not 20-40, but definitely 4+ hours of mind-numbing, no damage, no xp, no rank, no load skilling.  It is an even bigger pain to train than slam was last wipe.  That said, it is not terribly sophisticated or hard to train if you are willing to withstand the boredom.  I got it from fair to excellent today in about 3 hours and my wipeday goblin wis is suXXor.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
What are peoples opinion on disable?  The problem isn't that its particularly hard to train, but that opportunities to use it are slim to none.  If there is another thief on at the same time you are likely not to get the chance to disable the (22 if evil/neutral at my count - I'm sure I don't know all of them) basic in/around town chests).  It would be nice if there were more basic traps in zones... I don't know anyone that is going to train on Trachyte, Sanction, Pax or Sleet level traps.

Seeros

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »
Righteous will is awful.  As far as I know it only trains in one out of the way place, and the cooldown on it, even for failure seems longer than it should be.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
What are peoples opinion on disable?  The problem isn't that its particularly hard to train, but that opportunities to use it are slim to none.  If there is another thief on at the same time you are likely not to get the chance to disable the (22 if evil/neutral at my count - I'm sure I don't know all of them) basic in/around town chests).  It would be nice if there were more basic traps in zones... I don't know anyone that is going to train on Trachyte, Sanction, Pax or Sleet level traps.

My strategy is to wait for everyone to quit and then hog all those 22 traps all to myself.

On a more serious note, it seems traps are like an afterthought.

Anaya

• Immortal
  • Favorite Zone: Temple of Grak
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
I only used about 17 disable traps and got the skill to superb before i hit rank 10.  That was 2 wipes ago and i spammed them a lot and had 19-21 wis once it hit excellent.   As for parry i am on a goblin warrior not even 1xp and have it to good.  If you start skills early they are easier to train.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »
@Anaya

I think he meant when there are other thieves around, those 17-22 traps are often done. I bet 2 wipes ago when you played, the population isn't that high and those traps are hardly sprung.

There are just not enough traps to skill on when there's more than 1 thief skilling disable. Compared to other skills, there are plenty of opportunities to skill upon.

Totally agree on skilling early.

Kholos

• Greater God
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Tarsis Treehouse
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
Before I start a thief, I start a pkiller to slay the thieves with anonymity who steal my disable training traps!

sart

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »
From around 20 I can think of over 30 traps to train disable on.. but that is not to say it is not a hinderance to thieves at wipe that other characters do not have to endure.

But, I think that it is ok.. thieves should have to battle it out at the start of the wipe if they want to legend.. or kill each other for it. 

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:26:44 PM »
is there any good scripts where you could do them all afk? *whistle*

sart

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
There was a thief doing that this wipe.. from <TOAD>.  We saw him doing it and closed the hatch trapping him inside.. then stabbed / envenomed him.  Told his clan they may want to call him before he died.

If I had it to do over.. I would have just killed it.

btown

• Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »
thats pure evil

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
just disable the neraka trap over and over and over...a desk was it? i can't remember

OOPS DID I JUST RUIN THAT?

btown

• Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
corey will you come back to mud and join myth please