Author Topic: so weve had the talk... wheres the action  (Read 16312 times)

Dyl

• Zoner
so weve had the talk... wheres the action
« on: September 20, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »
I'm getting tired of looking at these forums on a daily basis but its an established habit even though I don't even play.  Its been over a year since I first heard of lube.. its the detox of this game.  No details, plans, or even vague vision.  Meanwhile threads are started that turn into a billion ideas no one gives credence to and the imams either make a bad joke or only tangentially hit the subject.

Is there a 5 year plan for Arctic besides seeing its balls shrivel more and increase in wrinkles?

No offense meant to anyone.. there's just so much rambling and the NEWS changes with the regularity of the US constitution.

Hoss

• Elder
Re: so weve had the talk... wheres the action
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »
Reading a post like this written by a staff member...really restraining myself from deleting you.

Anyway, as you all know the game is 100% run from free contribution from the staff. Over the last few years the contributors have moved on and we are basically down to 2-4 active participating staff members (i.e. not Dyl). We understand that real life will always come before any effort that needs to be put in the game and we do spend hours of our time and real dollars improving the game. This summer has been pretty rough on my time and even worse for Aristox, we have both discussed the summer lag and our plans to address it.

I am hoping to have a more firmed up vision and "State of the Mud" address ready for the end of October, but right now I just don't know what that will look like. We might wipe just for the sake of wiping, we might be able to add some new features, we might not. I have really appreciated the feedback and suggestions (well some of them), and we have been internally including them into our plans and discussions. If you are expecting to try to lock us into some kind of hostile negotiation with a lot of demands, you can kindly go bapt a hat.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
Hoss,

That is the exact type of post i think a lot of us are looking for.  Just something you know.  Some sort of something that is going inside your and aristox's brain will satisfy 90% of the people that play.  Thanks

Nary

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »
Why is there such a shortage of staff? Paranoid much?

sart

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
I have so many comments to this thread... I think I will just go watch some tv instead.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
There is a shortage of upper-level staff because there have only been a handful of people that have:

a) put in countless hours to make the game better
b) earned the trust of the senior staff by not abusing the knowledge/power that comes with higher levels

Some people prefer to play the game as a mortal (myself) while others prefer the administrative side---holding tournaments, assisting in wipe stuff (i.e. not participating in the post-wipe mayhem to instead focus on helping with the bugs that pop up the first few days after new stuff has been implemented,) being there day in and day out as your immortal to help new players, creating new areas, cleaning up old areas, testing new classes and giving effective feedback on those classes, etc etc. A lot of people have said over the years "You guys are power hungry and don't let anyone else help..." But that's not true, they have given people countless opportunities to help the game grow, but they aren't going to give people the "keys to the kingdom" without those people first proving that they can help with the more trivial and basic stuff (31-32 type stuff.)

-Sean

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
although i've had my griefs with imms from time to time, they put in their time with no reward to try and keep this game alive and usually get flamed for it by idiots like you.

think before you speak, because otherwise people like me might just think you're a dipshit.

Brad

• Fodder
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 05:28:01 AM »
I would be more than happy to help out where I could.  What kinda jobs do you need done? Can you help out and still be able to play the game as normal?

Brad

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »
The imms have poured in many hours with not enough thanks into this game so that we could have an incredible gaming experience. I'm sure they have real life pressures just like the rest of us. I understand they have lots of great alternatives to the rampant multiing and that it's hard to find the time to implement their ideas. But with only 10 visible players online during a weekend, would it be so bad if multi's were allowed until Lube comes online?

Basher

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
Reading a post like this written by a staff member...really restraining myself from deleting you.
.... If you are expecting to try to lock us into some kind of hostile negotiation with a lot of demands, you can kindly go bapt a hat.

Reading things like these from the top of pyramid will always disappoint me, it should not be a favor that you are restraining yourself, Dyl has done nothing but ask a question everyone has time and again. It's actually a shame that even the staff have no clue what is going on.

Asshaterry begets asshaterry and the shadow from the top stains "OUR" mud. It belongs to the players who also 100% volunteer their time, even more than the imms. Afterall all Imm applications drip with how much they want to give back to the mud as a service. We have some great staff, and then some who are not always a shining example. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread with my crusade for a staff more service oriented like their imm application. Just had to call it out in the hope that change will happen one day.

I will just end this by thanking you for answering the question.

There is a shortage of upper-level staff because there have only been a handful of people that have:

a) put in countless hours to make the game better
b) earned the trust of the senior staff by not abusing the knowledge/power that comes with higher level

-Sean

Oh hush, a look at the gods list will show that there is no shortage of people who have done (a) or would be willing to do (a) though it is an interesting question you raise, i never see an imm on anymore to even set my title.

Oh and Dyl, who i have never talked to me, asking my character how the weather is in my city right after my logging forces his mortal to rent does not count, nor was the unsolicited question appreciated.

as for (b) lets just recall the name Dougan and admit that things are not so quite clear cut or opaque in the politics of Arctic's Heavens.

Maybe if we are having a real crisis upstairs, some new blood can be called for, from the ranks of active people to help out with the "volunteering".  Not everything needs to be locked down. Does anyone even apply to imm anymore??

If folk know what help is needed then I am sure a few will step to the plate in our time of need i.e. Brad..and maybe even Dyl(??)

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »
A good player doesn't necessary mean he'll be a good imm/coder and vice versa. So you cannot just suddenly decide to "let" a few ppl in and help with the development of Arctic.

Speaking as a player myself, I recognize Arctic doesn't belong to the player- base (nor is it shared). This fact doesn't change on the first day it was online, or twenty years later. This is true even if players spent more time here than the imms.

We are like homeless who found a new empty house on the street and decided to stay inside. No matter how long and how lively we make the house to be with our presence, the house does not belong to us. Of course the homeless will say otherwise when the owners try to throw them out (even when all they wanted is to do upgrades).

ps I've huge respect for HOSS (and his jokes), but this is the main reason why I'll never consider re-applying for 31. Too much restrictions. I like to keep my option of "dissing" the boss open and still have my place intact.   

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »
i never applied because i've been deleted for playing a proxy healer like four times

that, and i'd only want to create zones but after talking to sanjuro i realised i don't have the technical know-how to be able to do it at a level i would be willing to accept of myself

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 05:05:12 PM »
I will tell you, as someone that HAD creation access over 10 years ago, the amount of time and effort it takes to create a terk/sanjuro zone is overwhelming.  Mad props to those guys and anyone else who has written 1000+ room descriptions, item description, made the equipment, created new/unique specs for items, made insane multi-component quest items or any of the other hundreds of tasks it takes to make a good zone in this game.

The saying is that you get what you pay for, but I think that arctic is (as it often is) the exception to that rule.

That said, any other retirees that want to get together and make some new content I would love to team up.  I have no problem writing rdescs and creating the rooms for a zone, but the last time I did any real coding it was in Fortran 77, so my ability to do anything more complicated than create a kw exit is non-existent.

Anthony

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
Don't underestimate the amount of the magic that gets sucked out by becoming staff. As someone who was also on the creation port for awhile and who has had countless friends take the same path, I can tell you that there is so much bullshit attached to trying to give back to the game, it really makes you wonder if it is worth it. And I'm not talking about the hours of sitting, setting titles, answering questions, etc. I'm talking about the character restrictions that you start to get into, constant accusations of cheating, etc.

Somewhat related, I always thought the process was a little odd because talents themselves weren't always identified before the fact. The trust aspect was the most important, as it should be. But even if you were God's gift to OO programming or spec-writing or you were an awesome writer, getting someone's attention so that you could actually contribute was a feat too.

walters16

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
Honestly I do not understand why everyone MUST know what is going on? The game is more fun if you do not know everything that is to come. Also to anyone with negative words the game was not designed around you and your friends and how you play this game. Thank you for your time and feel free to post suggestions. Just because you say something is a good idea though does not mean it will fit with whats to come with the game so it might not work. Everyone has a voice in this game and can help influence ideas but please do not think because someone suggests something it will happen.