Author Topic: Balancing the pace of the game at low - high levels.  (Read 22396 times)

Nostramazos

Re: Balancing the pace of the game at low - high levels.
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »

Hear me, Hear me!

The main problem in solving keywords in zones is feedback. In many cases there is none and that "huh?" is consistently murdering and frustrating most explorers especially when common logic says that the keyword that you have just typed should work but it doesn't. The "huh" also kills the mood of exploring and makes you rethink the whole process that just brought you here and also the time that you have spend in a zone (and that thought is the biggest enemy of them all).

Providing feedback would most definitely be a better success than a HINT and it would still be within the spirit of exploration, a HINT that comes from the system is not. So you just tried to "PUSH a wall" but that is not working. "The wall does not even budge" would be a good que for the player to try "SLIDE wall". For more sophisticated keywords more feedback would be necessary. So again the player pushes wall but the wall does not budge "You put your hands in the center of the wall and push with all your might but nothing moves. Yet you feel that your right hand met with less resistance". Maybe that is a good que to ROTATE wall.

Many zones have that kind of interaction with the player but others don't. When you know the riddle is in this room and on this object but huh is the answer for your efforts then you are losing heart (especially if you have spent some time or days in a zone).

It may be another thankless job for creators but with so much innovation and talent we have seen in many of the new zones maybe it is worth looking into that more thoroughly.

nostramazos

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
my honest opinion  -  this is just a whining thread.

this game has always been the same in terms of keywords/solving. its in fact easier now to solve since it can be done on less people since characters are overall stronger. why now are individuals whining about zones being "difficult" to solve?

its the "i want it easy" mentality and a bunch of crying.

wahhh i don't have the time or patience. wahhh this other guy worked out stuff i can't. wahhhh this sucks i can't enjoy random quests without having to invest some time/effort to solve them. wahhh this keyword is too hard, i know what i need to do but i don't have the patience/mental fortitude to sit and figure it out.

if any of the junk in this thread were implemented i'd probably never play again. all i see is cop-out shortcuts being suggested that would ruin the game from my perspective. i HAVE invested the time and effort to solve the things i know, why should whiners get it free purely because they whine?

tl;dr: squeaky wheel should not get the grease in this instance. lazy players hoping for shortcuts which would undermine the efforts others have already invested. stop whining, drink a cup of concrete and harden the bapt up you little babies.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
Seriously who figured out the 1st keyword to temple of takhisis (ToT) without help?

Till today I have no idea where the clue or hint is. And the 2nd keyword I just realized this past month where it was from. But to tie that place to ToT? No chance in the abyss.

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
my honest opinion  -  this is just a whining thread.

By your account then, any negative feedback is whining. Most people who run successful games, businesses etc. seek out constructive feedback both positive and negative. Let me clarify, that "constructive" doesn't mean "everyone likes it".

We've heard your opinion on this topic and we respect it. Threatening to rage quit  over some minor low level zone changes however, is hardly mature. Daniel, you should probably just stay away from this thread if you don't like it. Right now you just look like and adult  throwing a tantrum every time his candy gets taken away by mommy.

At some point the Imps are going to ask what kind of player they want to cater to. the guy who resorts to ragequitting, threats and/or insults, or the other guys. Hopefully, they don't pick you.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:32:21 AM by Joe »

Saint_Ronin

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »
I'll follow suit with Vastra, because I'm very new as well. I have very little experience with MUD games and I only recently got back into them. I can only say that in my experience with this game alone, I had to type in about five synonyms for one word before I stormed off to the inn to rest and quit the game. I was in no mood to play after trying to figure out "Retreat", through various commands like, "Run Away", "Escape", "Flee", "GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE", "GTFO" and so on.

I'll also say that I was a bit taken aback by the vastness of the world, though I've decided to stick around Solace until I get into a party (or this wipe day that people speak so highly of). It was something that I really wanted to explore, but only after I figure out the commands. If there was one solid list of commands that pertained to this game specifically, that would help out a lot. I refer a lot to the newbie pages, but there are things that are not covered. I spent about 10 minutes trying to speak to an NPC only to realize that I had to just "Listen" to get the mission. So much for my RP experience.

But I'd like to finish this on a high note. This is a good game, and it does offer some level of forgiveness to an inexperienced player. I still haven't figured out the first quest, but it doesn't mean I have to. I can just wander around and hunt for food, gaining experience and training my skills. I enjoy that. I can find players and randomly chat with them. I enjoy doing that in character. I enjoy the world, and how much it has to do with the series it is modeled after. If there was some thing I would change about this game, I might suggest some way of bringing the active members (as Joe said, the 6-10 active players a night) together for some kind of 'adventurer pow-wow' that could build up a stronger fan base, and then help bring players in. I've got friends that would enjoy the game immensly, but they are even less experienced than I am at MUD but a good community could fix that. Hint hint.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
Gulca - I did.  Zones plus Google and having read the books.  Just because we are 30+ and don't give a crap about bad fantasy novels....

Saint_Ronin

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »
To be fair, I'm not quite 30+ yet.

Neal

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »
We all should take the time to listen to Saint and Vastra. We might learn something.

sart

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:43 AM »
Site ban everyone who played prior to 2000.  This would be good for the game.. and for us. 

Let the newbies have the fun we once did.

Saint_Ronin

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
I wouldn't like the idea of banning anyone. Us new guys could learn a lot from the experienced players.

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »
dear joe:

it won't happen anyway so i'm not worried, and it wasn't a threat to ragequit it was a statement of fact.
i'm under no illusion that the powers that be couldn't give two shits whether i play or not, so it's not like i'm trying to hold anyone to ransom by saying it. i think it would do you well to realise there are lots more people that play arctic on and off than just you or i, and that one person's opinion will never really be important - its just one of the voices in the choir. i'm entitled to my opinion, you're entitled to yours.

you are just trying to twist my perspective to be so negative as to discredit my post and use it as ammunition to fuel your own agenda, although ironically your post contains borderline personal insults and overall reflects more poorly on your character than mine.

negative feedback isn't always whining, but saying the game is too hard because you can't solve riddles that others can IS whining.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »
Daniel - I think what a lot of people are trying to get at is there are a lot of zones and quests in the game that are so obscure, that unless you have insider information, a bot army, or 50 hours a week to dedicate to arctic, it is not possible to figure them out or even know that they exist.  Even you told me to give up on Blood Shoal unless i had 40 hours a week for 52 weeks to dedicate to the zone.  I am told that Sanjuro was even watched how far we progressed into Blood Shoal and then laughed/mocked our efforts to dele members.

If I made a zone the size of Sanjuro's Blood Shoal (which honestly took 1500+ hours to make), I would want more than 1-2 people be capable of doing most of the zone.  Why make a zone and have no one ever be able to solve the riddles without the help of someone else.  Does that make any sense?  That is only one example, and several other exist on arctic.  I agree that it is fun to know how to lead zones that not many people know how to lead, or have knowledge of quests/etc. that few people know.  It is rewarding solving KWs, etc. in a zone.  But it is a fine line that is probably hard to balance.  Especially when these extremely obscure quests are made by immortals and then they tip off their friends, and they are part of the few that have access to the benefits.  But such is life, so everyone can have their opinion and some will be happy and some will bitch and moan.

Joe

• Fodder
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »
Solving a "riddle" by mashing random keywords after reading every description, looking at every object in every description, looking and examining every item and every mob and still not having a hint is not satisfying.

Saint_Ronin

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
Just out of curiosity, would that be a good reason to have a large party of mixed players (veterans and newbies) to run through an obscure zone and work together to get through them?

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 07:33:31 AM »
that's not what i said, what i said was you won't solve the deeper parts of the zone any time soon unless you invest a lot of time

and to the above post funnily enough yes, i've been stuck on things in zones before that newer players have helped me solve. my fundamental flaw in exploring which many share is that i will continue to overlook things i have previously missed, often newer players have different perspectives and notice the things others missed

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:39:59 AM by daniel_1 »