Author Topic: world merchant: accepting books and stale eq  (Read 9153 times)

gulca

• Zone Leader
world merchant: accepting books and stale eq
« on: September 13, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
Two tweaks for world merchant:

One:
Would be great if world merchant starts buying books of all classes for some small coins.

I usually leave low level books at inn floors hoping that someone who know someone who needs it before it decays.

If it is up in the world merchant, then everyone in every town gets to see and buy for their needs. A big plus for every one.

Two:
For items in world merchant that doesn't sell for a period of time (1 real day), convert those into coins for world merchant. So other items can be sold to world merchant (who now has coins).

Again purpose of this is to cycle as much player generated eq (from zone popping) into the player base.

Bryton

• Zoner
Re: world merchant: accepting books and stale eq
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
Smart

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »
If bryton likes the idea then so do I.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
I think its an admirable idea
books should be worth 100 coins per spell level
and cost 1000 coins per spell level

Nasredin

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 04:45:09 AM »
books should be worth 100 coins per spell level

Why would anyone need 'read magic' when
value book
at the world merchant gives a great hint at what is contained is within?

Each particular book should have it's cost as any regular item. Old waterstained is 1000 coins, ivory spined is 10000 coins, something like that.

Side benefit: no need to implement anything (in the code), just change the cost of the books (at the moment, all the books are worth 50 coins afair) and change 1 setting in the world merchant specs to make it accept the books.

As to the idea itself, I like it.

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 01:13:29 AM »
I Love this Idea.  I cant think of anyway this could have a negative result. 

Brad

eli

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
I think this is a wonderful idea. I can totally see it helping keep newbies involved. If they never walk by the dropped book they may never know it exists.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »
I will consider #1.

#2 is a good idea, but I am not sure it is a big priority.  If it looks easy I will do it, but anything time based is difficult in our messy code.

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
How much coding effort would be required to have the world merchant respond to supply and demand?
I'm thinking heuristics like, if an item does not sell after 1 day real time, the price at which it is bought and sold drops by 10%. If the merchant already has an item in stock, he pays 20% less for the next one.  If an someone buys the merchant's item in less than 10 minutes, he will buy the next one at the mid point between the amount he paid for it and the amount he sold it for.

Aristox

• Overlord
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:56:12 AM »
Gnua,

See my comment about time based stuff being difficult in our messy code.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:50:39 AM »
How about this, at every 1 am, the shop keeper roll 1 die (d6) and if it hits "6", it gets to eat the last item on the list. The shop list would need to be like first in last out (ie last item on the list is always the oldest, fresh sold items always at the top).

No timer needed to keep track on the items.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »
And if her rolls a 1, he turns into Lord Soth and PWK's anyone who walks in the room and doesn't bash him within 2 seconds.....

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »
I think just being able to buy/sell books will be enough.  and i agree it should be by book type not actual spell level.  However, the markup should be very high (10x sell value).  Doing that will keep money in the world merchant's pocket anyway.

Nasredin

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 04:59:38 AM »
Doing that will keep money in the world merchant's pocket anyway.

If we need the world merchant (or any other shopkeeper) to have more money, there's a setting that basically allows (ignore the minor details here) to give them as much money as we want as often as we want.

Thus, why would we need to make someone load a book, wait until 1am, make a belly-dance etc. etc. - just to make sure they may sell a few crude long swords and rusty iron plates to the shopkeeper?

There were reasons behind not giving the shopkeepers an endless supply of money to buy things; if those reasons are no longer actual - we can instantly turn any shopkeeper into a Croesus.

Nasredin

• Immortal
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »
I personally had a slightly different idea about the dynamic eq prices:

Every item receives a new parameter called price (bonus/discount) factor. The shopkeeper buys the item for

shopkeeper price = item_cost * shopkeeper_factor * item_price_factor

instead of

shopkeeper price = item_cost * shopkeeper_factor

that we have now.

At the beginning of the wipe, the price_factor = 1 for every item (no bonus/discount).

Whenever you sell any item to any shopkeeper, the price of that item sufferes a small discount, say 1%:

sold_item_price_factor := sold_item_price_factor * 0.99

for balance, all the other items in the game receive a tiny bonus:

other_items_price_factor := other_items_price_factor * 1.000001

The result is more or less the same as dynamic ranks on mobs: it becomes progressively less profitable to sell the same things again and again for cash. On the other hand, exploring a zone seldom visited by players is likely to provide a little fortune.

However, i see some minuses of my idea:
- requires a significant amount of coding
- no way to tell which zones were recently done (thus the players have to guess where to go or what to explore for maximum profit)
- some players are comfortable with whatever treasures they usually sell for profit, having to go to a different place every time may be a frustrating experience to them.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:06:31 AM by Nasredin »