Author Topic: Skilling up  (Read 10011 times)

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
Skilling up
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »
Hello Arctic,

I've found that some skills are easier than others to skill up.  Parry seem to be impossible.  At 18 int/wis with +10 learn i have been going for about 3 hours(actual fighting time) with not one learn opportunity. Skill is at poor and i am lvl 30.  Is this messed up or is it normal.  I can understand a little bit of effort needed to skill anything up but 3 hours of landing parry on mobs like Stormwind/Silverblade and no skillfuls is a bit worrying.  Can i get confirmation that i'm not broken?  Anyone know any tricks to skilling up parry?

Thanks
Brad

gulca

• Zone Leader
Re: Skilling up
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:22:41 PM »
Some things you can try out, it gets harder at level 30.

1. use different weapons. you do not want to get stuck with a no learn weapon. hopefully something that you have good weapon skill in.

2. get lots of hr

3. get +parry eq and weapons

4. boost your wis

5. try different mobs in different zones. "rank" mobs are a good place to start.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »
It's not broken.  The worst mistake you can make it to try to train skills at level 30.  If you spam parry as soon as you get it you will always fail, yet it will still go up.  One rule of thumb I have noticed is that all skills train with or without success up to poor, yet at poor they only train on success.

Sometimes to get over the "hump" at poor it helps to have plus skill items, but realize these items negatively impact your learning, so as soon as you get to below average I would dump them.

Wis affects learning.  18 is not enough.  Get more - spend ranks, buy all 5 wis that are available as well as all the learn you can afford.  Once skills are superb you can dump it.  Yes, it costs money, but the money is easier to get back than the time and frustration of training skills with low wis.

You might think its hard now, getting from poor to bel. average.  It is going to be even more challenging to get from excellent to superb.  Make a trigger, keep the window open, and spend some quality time catching up on the forum :)

I suggest you find high hitpoint, low dex rank mobs to practice on. I am a big fan of brontosauri in the lost valley or the sponge near sahuagin.  use an offhand but not a prime (or a prime with no iffhand)so the mob doesn't die while you are practicing, and have crits or heals available.

good luck!

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 01:36:25 AM »
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Looks like I'll be talking a lot on the forum now.  Are there any cleric mercenaries for hire near Kalaman?

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
Get steelskin rank, pump your AC to -100AC with enchanted armors or get ergothian/woodsman set, wear a light shield and start parry.

At 30, your vigor should kick in every tick when hurt, and practice near a recup room. Fight till you are 100hp, go catch 1 tick at recup and repeat.

Don't need no stinking cures.

Above works for disarm too, hint hint.

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
So i think the Blade i was using was no learn. Lots of time... gone

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
careful with weapons that have a lot of specs, they are often no_learn or negatively impact learn

Gnua

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
So i think the Blade i was using was no learn. Lots of time... gone

I think some of the no_learns will still allow you to get to poor.

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 05:19:34 AM »
I was stuck at poor for HOURS. At that point i didnt know no_learn items existed.

I Learned about No_learn.

zken

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 12:23:36 PM »
sorry to bump this thread. but would a scroll lore shows if the equipment is no_learn? or is it something from word of mouth?

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »
When in doubt, use shop weapon to skill.

Also changing different types of mob to hit and higher level mobs will increase chance of learn.

and lore won't tell you if a weapon is no learn.

Joseph Norton

• Fodder
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 01:32:10 AM »
Pretty sure the blade I was using I found in N. Ergoth, and it was no_learn.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »
I wouldn't get in a panic about "no_learn" weapons. I have never personally run into one (not saying they don't exist, just that I have never had one), so you are probably fine.

Some skills just take a VERY long time to skill, especially at 30. I have had skills where I didn't get a single enlighten or skillful for hours, or where I only get a single one for an entire day. The best advice is to figure out which skills are a pain in the ass to train, and then skill them up ASAP as you lvl, even if it slows you down and makes lvling boring.

Just ask any shaman player about hard to train skills... some might kill you just for reminding them!

Shannow

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 04:33:45 AM »
It's not broken.  The worst mistake you can make it to try to train skills at level 30.  If you spam parry as soon as you get it you will always fail, yet it will still go up. 

This is completely and utterly incorrect. I worked on various weapons and mobs with parry once I got it and it would not budge off bad. Then I hit level 28 and it moved just fine. I'm gonna guess that if you want it to move before 28 , you'll need probably 20+ wis. Otherwise don't bother and just wait till you get to 28.

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 02:15:52 PM »
It's not broken.  The worst mistake you can make it to try to train skills at level 30.  If you spam parry as soon as you get it you will always fail, yet it will still go up. 

This is completely and utterly incorrect. I worked on various weapons and mobs with parry once I got it and it would not budge off bad. Then I hit level 28 and it moved just fine. I'm gonna guess that if you want it to move before 28 , you'll need probably 20+ wis. Otherwise don't bother and just wait till you get to 28.

I take it you are unaware of skill caps? Each skill has its own lvl max for certain skill tiers. Something like bash, as an example, might not be able to superb, til you are lvl 28+, while bandage might be able to superb at 23. So long as you don't see a ** by the skill, and you can't learn it in the guild, then you can continue to skill it at that lvl.