Author Topic: 3 weeks in, and still captivated.  (Read 12356 times)

Vastra

• Favorite Zone: Brogs :)
3 weeks in, and still captivated.
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »
I was introduced to Arctic earlier last month by my old college roommate (played under the name Rannos since 2003ish, I believe). I had seen him play before, but I never really had time to devote my self to more than one game, and at the time I was playing EQ pretty heavily. I now realize that was a HUGE mistake. Even with shouts, ridiculous titles, and my tick timer and autoeat/drink script, I don't think I've ever played a game this detailed and immersive.

First off, the Conclave test was one of the hardest and most satisfying things I've ever had to do in a game. After falling to my death on the first attempt, I realized I REALLY needed to pay attention. Well, 6th time's a charm, and I finally passed and got my red robes. Apparently, yelling "Damn ****in' right I passed!" at work is frowned upon haha. Even got some congratulatory gear from some random players when I shouted that I got my robes!

Admins have been great. First day on I had a few questions, and after getting answers from an admin on his alt, Aristox messaged me asking if I had any more questions. Name another mud where the owner/creator checks up on new players. That meant a lot. Also, support from the playerbase has been amazing. Everyone I've talked to has been patient and helpful with me. You guys definitely gained another long-term player.

Well, on to my questions.

1) I find myself dying quite a bit on zones/mobs that the zone descriptions/other players are telling me I should be able to handle. Any advice on mitigating damage and survivability as a mage (red robe)?

2) I chose theiwar as a race for their chance to not forget spells. However, I have yet to see this ability proc. Are there specific requirements for it?

3) Dimension door always seems to fail for me between balifor and solace. is there a distance limit?

4)I know I'm going to jinx myself or get added to hit lists for fun now haha, but I have yet to be randomed, probably due to my lack of good gear and the fact that I basically plan on soloing for-goddamn-ever. Nevertheless, I'd rather not lose everything I worked for on a whim. Any tips on avoiding getting ganked? Besides staying out of clans?

5) Last but not least, I don't want to know keywords or anything, but the "Dully dwarf covered in feces" in the hidden are of the balifor dump, is there a quest involving him? Just curious as to why he's spawned alone in that room haha.

Thanks in advance, and I'll see you all on in a few :)

Dyl

• Zoner
Re: 3 weeks in, and still captivated.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
3) Dimension door only works within a certain range.  Pair its usage with teleport.  Ultimately, you want to get relocate which is one spell for the two.

Valid NPC targets are:
Solace:  Theobald
Tarsis: Darvinus
Palanthas: Anatole
Kalaman: Zardonna
Balifor: Petrin
Haven: Canstin

However - be careful with teleport.  It will put you in a random room:
c 'teleport' (no arguments) will teleport you to a random room in current zone
c 'teleport' [target] will teleport you to a random room in theirs

Its easy to land in bad spots.. no fly dts, dts, aggro mobs.  Use with caution.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »
4)  Choose where you rest carefully and don't afk out of peace.  Ticking quickly at the tollhouse is fine but you probably don't want to chill there too long.

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »
A solo mage has little to no tanking ability. Eventually you will get a sweet pet that can tank for you but until then there are random charmies that you can sometimes find. There are also mercenary that you can hire that will do as you say and can help absorb some damage while you kill things. Without some sort of help in the tank department you may consider killing things slightly below your level to avoid deaths.

In game my char is Oz, if you need help tell to me. I could advise you anytime or assist in getting you a decent tanking charmie to aid in your solo endeavors. Shouting for people near your level would be wise, a warrior or barbarian friend will help immensely until you can fend for yourself a bit better.

The theiwar thing is a slight boost, but it will be much more noticeable in tandem with a spell you will learn as you advance.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:30:03 PM »
Just watch out for that ilank guy....

DCPTY1986

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
Vastra what is your character name so that I can kill Ilank when/if he kills you.

-Dale

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
ha what are you going to use dale? your level 10 basher ?

RichE

• Fodder
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:21:39 PM »
Welcome to the game. I want to say that I played solo for a very long time and enjoyed the game immensly. However, finding friends on this game will bring a lot more fun out of it so don't discount it out of hand.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
Welcome!

Glad to hear you are having a good time! Like Rich, I solo'd for years and enjoyed it greatly. Though getting with a group of players, or being accepted to a clan, will have an immediate impact on how the game plays for you. At this stage in the game you can set your own pace, or rather your pace is only limited by how quickly you can explore.

When grouping with one or two other people, you can learn alot if you are up front about being new to the game...and thank/be nice/be fun with your groupies. Most players are happy to show you some mid level zones and some +style ways to train your skills.

Once you get with a large group however, things tend to change pretty dramatically. Once you are in a group of 5+ players expect the world to go from zero to 300mph in one second flat. You will be ripping across Ansalon faster than your brain can process. Mobs will appear, seemingly out of nowhere, and die before you can say "Heal me Walcanar!" Eq that you would otherwise grab, lore, and treasure gets left on the floor as 'trash', and the next thing you know you are gaining levels like mad and ranks out the wazoo.

BUT

Don't expect to learn anything in those groups. Casual conversation just doesn't happen and that style of play is really only good for one thing...power leveling and chasing select eq/spells for the leader. (On a side note, if/when you die in this type of group there is a very high likelihood you will get your stuff back. If you die soloing, almost always your eq is gone baby gone.)  That said, there are always exceptions to the rule.

So I guess what I'm saying is enjoy the pace. Enjoy the exploration and don't be in too big of a rush. Ask tons of questions and don't worry if somebody thinks you are a newbie. I think gone are the days where people regularly killed new players simply because they are new. Again, Welcome!

Matt

Nasredin

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 04:20:52 AM »
1) I find myself dying quite a bit on zones/mobs that the zone descriptions/other players are telling me I should be able to handle. Any advice on mitigating damage and survivability as a mage (red robe)?

A mage has always been and remains one of my favourite classes, especially for learning the game.

First, mages are great solo explorers:

a)
You got fly, continual light, invisibility (even improved invisibility) and detect invisibility as guild spells. All that may be replaced by scrolls/potions or eq, but potions cost money and eq only loads in certain places yet to be discovered. The mage can remain flying, invisible and seeing invisible things indefinitely.

Invisibility alone lets you explore entire zones with aggro mobs that would otherwise eat your for breakfast.

b)
If you're exploring into the unknown, move slowly, read the room descriptions and check what you see when using 'scan' or 'exits' commands. If it says 'An ancient dragon is preparing to eat you alive', you may prefer to go explore elsewhere.

c)
Even if it takes more time, rest to full hp, renew the spells affecting you, mem full and only then explore further. Going blindly into the unknown at 50% hp is an easy way to die.

d)
Always carry several recalls and put some of them in containers (preferably in worn containers, such as a pack from palanthas shop). At least one of the recalls must be glowing (it not only returns you directly to the inn but also works if your light goes off in a dark room for some reason).

Never wait too long before you flee or recall. See how much damage you take per round and remember that is you get bashed, you can't do anything for 2 rounds (or even longer if you're disabled by magical means).

e)
If the mobs don't attack you, leave them alone for as long as possible. Learn the rooms, see if it's safe to flee, check the mobs in the adjacent rooms, see if the mobs are moving from room to room or stay where they are. Remember that some mobs may assist each other or even shout for help (like a king summoning the guards to protect him).

When you proceed to fighting, get rid of the aggro mobs first, then kill the auxiliary ones (e.g. the tracking guards) and only then challenge the zone boss.

However, soloing is fun and all, but having numbers on your side never hurts.

f)
Get a group. It's always safer to go around with a partner. A tank (warrior, barbarian) or a curing type (cleric, shaman) would be perfect, but even another mage is better than no partner at all.

g)
Make sure the other players recognize who you are. During the big clan wars the people become suspicious and even if you aren't clanned, they may decide that you're a freshly created character of their opponents. Sometimes joining some small peaceful clan is a good way to identify you as not a member of a bigger clan, at least until that small clan gets involved in some war, too.

HTH
Nasredi

Xyril

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
Another thing to recommend mages as a starter class (I'm sure many will disagree with me): being forced to take the test.

I spent years spending more time soloing than grouping just because I enjoyed figuring out a lot of the little quests that most people already knew, or didn't care to figure out because the rewards weren't great enough, and all that practice put me in much better footing when it came to figuring out the harder zones that load the big shiny things. But I still learned a few new ways to look at zones from going through all of the trials (I think the first wipe I made 8 or 9 mages that I abandoned at level 11 just so I could see more of the tests.)

Some people think of the tests as a roadblock on their trip to mage-dom, but I think it's actually a great crash course not just on how mages and their early spells work, but also how the creators think, and the mechanics of how they hide stuff in zones.

Vastra

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, as well as the help I've gotten in-game. If you don't mind, I have a few more questions for you guys.

1) Does INT affect spell slots?

2) What would be a good area for a 14-16 to zone, and any tips on where to look for spellbooks?

3) I have some rank points to spend, but there's a lot of options. Any advice?

4) What lvl should I be to attempt to load pieces of the Magi set. and where can I find them? I'm just missing the pants lol

5) Last but not least, is there anything I can do to lessen eq decay?

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
Talk to Oz in game and I can help you find  some experience.

Help area low, and help those zone names for general locations. Help map or help krynn also.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
if you are red robe I would suggest thane's mansion in solace, brightfield cemetery near flotsam, gypsy camp, and thane's mansion in palanthas (especially the hedge maze part).  I think you will find there are some unexpected benefits to these four zones.

Vastra

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
Thanks a bunch! I'll be on in a few to explore em!