Author Topic: How to perfect roll classes?  (Read 11882 times)

Eq

How to perfect roll classes?
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
Any idea on the best races and stats to aim for when rolling?

Barb: 20+ str/con 16+ int/wis/dex?
suggested race: Hill Dwarf for phys dam resist and con.

Cleric: 17 str 20+int 22+wis 18 dex/con?
suggested race: Qualinesti for decent wis and stats and heal racial?

Druid: See Cleric

DK: 19+ str/con 17+ int/wis/dex 18+ cha?
Suggested race: human for stats and faster regen?

Mage: 17 str 20 +int/wis 16+ dex/con?
Suggested race: going to leave this open too many valid options.

Scout: 20+ str/dex 16+ int/wis 18+ con?
Suggested race: Hill dwarf for ocean, kagonesti for others?

Shaman: See Cleric/Druid?
suggested race: ??

Thief: 20+ str/dex 16+ int/wis 18+ con?
Suggested race: ??

Warrior: 20+ str/con/dex 16+ int/wis
Suggested race: depending on role? Tank races or dexy races for bashing?

Paladin: See DK?

Just let us noobs know your thoughts on races and stats to aim for if you guys have time and knowledge.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:08:24 PM by Eq »

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Mage Tower
Re: How to perfect roll classes?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
No love for the scouts eh?

HolduDownandNuttinInYoAss

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »
+1 great post bro

I am new and this info is really helping me

Eq

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:17:25 AM »
No love for the scouts eh?

Edited. Need some peoples race thoughts before I just say roll humans on every class!

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
Shaman 20+ cha also.

If you want an easy roll go human. +stat so common it makes more sense to be bash mod or Imm sleep or natural -saves and spend an extra few minutes rolling imo

Eq

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
Edited for race ideas?

Jorquin

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »
regardless of stats, there are certain races that are just fundamentally better in my opinion right now.

goblin thieves are the best, dodge bonus please.

qualinesti get a free nocharm and comparable stats with most other elf races, though they suffer a bit on the hp side from other tanks.  at top end gameplay, there are numerous elf only weapons (mainly for good aligns) as a bonus perk. in my opinion they are hands down the best cleric/druid race, and arguable the best for tanks as well. there is some argument for hylars/minotaur.

for mages, i'd go with either human or gnome. elves hitpoints are just too garbage, at least with gnome you get some spell damage as a trade off. the regen on human is helpful.

for shamans i'm not entirely sure, i'm sure someone who actually plays that class can help out.

edit: forgot about dks, human and goblin are your best choices here. there's no elf only stuff for evil to my knowledge, and half elves save versus petrification is mostly useless.

barbarian i'd go either hill dwarf or hylar dwarf, minor physical damage reduction or healing received are both nice. personally i'd go hylar, the healing received would be better with the strength of regenerate/ameliorate/healing cloud right now. it'd probably be better overall for soloing also, buffing your healdance instead of reducing the damage you take.

junk tier:   kender, silvanesti. both worthless right now in my opinion.
semi junk tier:    half-elf (you get to use elf stuffs, but lose some hp and dont get the free nocharm), gully dwarf (extra attack mainly useless with rally haste/ghostdance)

worth noting - i look at this from a fairly end game perspective, but not all 10man group style. i myself spent 80% of my time soloing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:20:20 AM by daniel_1 »

Eq

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
Thanks daniel for the contribution!

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:22:14 PM »
As Daniel said, some races are just fundamentally a better choice for playing--see qualinesti for cleric/druid. Hill dwarf or Hylar warrior (unless you're going for a handful of very specific unique items---minotaur, elf). The +regen for humans/half elf as well as narrowed stat range aren't enough to make me want to lose some inherent bonuses that the other races confer for warriors. I don't think there is any reason to play half-ogre and gully dwarf for any class. Gnome mages (if evil human works)  Kago shaman. 

As for stats, I tend to find a lot of enjoyment out of rolling for near perfect stats on a character that isn't a first day after wipe character. Roll a lot and you can pretty easily figure out all of the max for each stat for your race of choice. Then it's just a matter of figuring out what you're comfortable  taking.

Xyril

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of the half-ogre for shaman, if you're not playing a good-alignment. They have solid str/int/cha, the healing done bonus is very useful for a class that relies so heavily on cures (and not heal), it stacks with the healing received bonus nicely when you're curing yourself. Below average dex is troubling, but worth the trade off for 20+ on three prime shaman stats, and lack of saves bonuses is also a drawback, but if you look at the other possible races for shaman, gnomes are the only one with an actual pk/zoning useful saves bonus (unless you spend a substantial amount of time fighting basilisks.) In terms of landing hits, shamans have unique ways to compensate for low dex/hitrolls so that's much less of an issue, but it does make you a bit more bashable.

As zozen mentioned, there are racially specific items to think about (but if you're fairly new that shouldn't be a major consideration.) These tend to be high end anyway. More generally, there are items and some zoning rooms/events that take size into consideration. Gnomes and goblins are tiny for example, while minotaurs and half-ogres are huge. Again, that's not something to worry too much about when getting started, but as you play more and notice things telling you "these magical pants of ass-kicking are too big for your tiny frame" or "you're too fat to fit through this secret hole of just-pked-someone-and-need-a-place-to-hide," you should take note and let them guide your choices next wipe.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »
I miss Dargonesti paladins....

Jozheg

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »
While I almost definitely support the pre-destined races/classes choices from Daniel, I'd suggest you to work with whatever comes your way without rolling.
Except for the kender/thief pair, those are synonymic.

Anyway, the best experience I have ever had were a 14str hylar warrior (mained top-tier fights of Cyan-level with it (was the buffest fight back then)) and a 13con kender thief (445 hps at legendary). With crap stats like these you get to explore the method to the class more thoroughly, coming up with deeper knowledge of it.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
Think creatively.   Daniel has listed the stat-optimum, most obvious choice for each class, but given that most people will be playing those same stat-optimized choices, why not think outside the box?

For example: Daniel lists kender as a junk race.  Now, Idecided to play a kender warrior this wipe for a few reasons, mostly just curiosity and an unhealthy love of dex for bashers.  Here's what Idiscovered.  Kender, a junk race for all uses by daniel's consideration, get ridiculous dex...  Vyl had 24 natural on a basher after aging.  This made tanking bash mobs much easier, and Vyl bashed very well for never having +bash gear.  More importantly, kender have a stupefying regen rate, which, when combined woth vigor, made for regenning red to green moves standing every tick. That seemingly small benefit made Vyl one of t he most effortless and fun characters i'vve ever had.

Every race has advantages, and in a well-built game, i'd say that there are very few true 'junk' choices.  Pick a race/class combo you want to learn about, and rather than griping at the weaknesses, figure out the unique strengths.

My advice, anyway.  :)  I despise doing what everyone else is doing because someone else says it's the leet way.  Think for yourself, ignore the people that say you're doing it wrong, and *learn*.  Only wa to get ahead.

Jason

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:41:48 PM »
Kender are auto refresh on moves without vigor.  Too bad there's nowhere to run.  Add Taladas.  If we got 5+ creators together we could have a new continent with multiple zones in a few months.  Years tho since no one wants to do anything.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
We need to put tantallon, phaethon village, jelek and telvan back in the game.  I assume they were pulled so someone could put in updated versions of the zones, but its been a few wipes and I think we should put them back in until the new versions are ready.